Scared to get on a plane help?

This is my first time getting on a plane and I'm scared shitless what do I do to get over my fear of planes

Most Helpful Guy

• Planes are actually far safer than cars in terms of crashes. Millions of people each day go on a plane and come out fine. Plus, the safety features on planes nowadays are state of the art. The pilot has an intense background check and has a secure door locking him in so no one can mess with him. You won't crash into other planes since there is always someone monitoring your position. If the worst case scenario something did happen to your plane, I can guarantee there would be a huge search party immediately rushing to your aid.

I was hesitant getting on a plane at first, but then I realized I could just sleep through it and it is fine. There is nothing better than getting off a plane and realizing just how quickly the environment changed from your original destination.

What exactly are you afraid of with planes? It helps if you can pinpoint your fear.

What Guys Said 8

• Well, you don't really have anything to worry about. It's more dangerous riding in a car to get to or from the airport.

If you're having a hard time dealing with your fear logically, many doctors will prescribe one pill of a sedative (or something like that) to take the edge off the anxiety of a flight or other major, scary event.

Maybe bear in mind that you can control your response. Though few people exercise that kind of control, humans CAN be in control of what they do and how they react. So don't be scared. :)

• If you'te scared of terrorists blowing up the plane then strap on a bomb yourself - that way you'll be infull control.

• Tf no why would I do that and I'm not scared because of that

• Relax, planes are very safe and with all of the safety precautions, you'd have to be having a very bad day if something were to go wrong. My uncle is head of repairs for a major airline and he works tirelessly to make sure the planes used are air-worthy.

The only tips I have are have something to occupy yourself with, iPod/MP3, books or magazines or whatever you can do to occupy yourself. And chewing gum helps you adjust to the air pressure change

• Lol I'll have my iPhone to keep me occupied and ok I'll chew gum too

• No my dads flying with me since it's my first time

• In that case, you'll be fine because you'll *probably* be next to him if your tickets were bought at the same time. For real though, you'll be fine

• It is always scary the first time - Think of the stats, it is a very safe way to travel.

• I was terrified my first time. I just listened to music and got really into a book I was reading. Then once we leveled out, I liked it a lot. It was actually fun lol.

• Not really lol.

• Wear a diaper ;)

• Um no I'm 16 not 5 -_-

• Well then hold them in and put aside the fear, the plane don't crash normally

• Ugh I'm just gonna have to face it the sooner I do the better right

• Your more likely to go from a cow stampede than from some problem with the plane. And cars are waaayy more dangerous than planes. You have nothing to fear

What Girls Said 3

• The best way is to be exposed to them. I read online that your chances of dying in a car crash are about 500 - 6000 times higher than your chances of dying in a car crash. Does that make you feel better? Do a google search of place crash statistics. It might make you feel better.

• unfortunately you just have to get on it... i mean what else will u do? occupy urself with other things like reading or watching the in flight movies. music also helps.

• I'm like that too. But once I get on it, there is nothing I can do about it. It's just live or let live at that point. Once it's up in the air, it's kinda fun though. You can see buildings from a birds eye view and if at night, the night lights showing off a city or country's border.

If you're really scared, know that planes are statistically much safer than driving a car. Listen to music or movies. If amenable, you can chat whoever is sitting next to you. You can try and sleep through the flight too.

• Lol I have Netflix on my phone so I'll just watch something on that