"100$" or "$100"?

What is it with people writing "100$" and not "$100" ? Are they that dumb? Their teachers must be very embarrassed!

Most Helpful Guy

• I can honestly say that I've never seen that before. The things that I DO get tired of, however, are the following...

"Your so funny!" No, YOU'RE so wrong! "Your" makes something possessive. "You're" is a contraction of "you are".

"There house is really huge!" Again, no! "There" indicates a location; "That house is over there on the corner". And again, "their" is possessive; "THEIR house is really huge!"

"Their not going to be happy about this!" Right, THEY'RE (meaning, THEIR English teachers) not going to be happy that at all! "Their" is, as previously established, possessive. "They're" is a contraction of "they are".

And finally, an apostrophe (') is NOT used to indicate a plural. An apostrophe makes something possessive. "We've made a lot of mistake's" is itself a mistake. "We've made a lot of mistakes" is correct.

What Girls Said 12

• LOL well the former is spelt as it's pronounced, so it begs the question of whether me writing $100 is actually 'correct'. but yeah I don't know it's different for everyone i guess.

• But we don't say the "K" in knife

• that's true, but that's because the k is silent. saying 'dollars' isn't.
      i get where u were going with that though. the English language is a complex one to say the least.

• It's mostly that I realize I should use the dollar sign for clarity and don't want to backspace so I toss it at the end. I don't think any of my teachers would care how I talk online XD

• Very bad habit to get into, a bit lazy. I know I'm sounding petty, it fast becoming a pet hate of mine

• Yeah , I know. It's been bothering me for a while now and I just had to ask and get it off my chest

• LOL! that makes sense. And look you even got a popular topic out of it!

• Depends where one grew up. I think some do it because it's corresponding with 100 dollars (100$) not dollars 100 ($100)

• I used to type 100$ too, but just because it is 100€ / 100CHF here. 😁 But I learned that it is $100.

• Officially and in inyternational money transfer its 100 USD, the official abbreviation for the US dollar.

• Whatever we all know what they mean right?

• My English teacher always said it's ' $100' so, yeah..:)

• I'm use to the $100 so yeah

• Here, I'll take all the hate away from everyone else. Me me me!

If I am not trying to be formal, I'll type
    $14

I'll also type
    41$

Because I actually type so fast that hitting the same key twice in a row, unnecessarily, slows me down.
    Yes, seriously.

Hi haters! Mwah.

• They are probably foreigners, it's the other way round (e. g. 100€) in many countries

• I don't get bothered by such petty stuff.

• I only ever see foreigners (usually from Asia) doing that. I just figured it's because that's how thay write it in their country do when they come here they just keep writing it like that out of habit, I wouldn't say they are stupid, it's (probably) just a habit they haven't broken yet.

What Guys Said 11

• I think as one of the responders said they are spelling the phrase the way they hear it - I think the hardest thing to get over in language are the phonetic assumptions.

• I tend to write 100$ because it's more convenient. Mostly because Hungarian currency is written as "1500 Ft" or "1500 HUF".

• Not gonna lie, it kinda bothers me too.

Or when people write something like, "that's just my $0.02 cents on the matter." (when giving an opinion)

It drives me bananas. LOL

• Differences between countries and assume all countries have the same standards.
    Some countries write:
    €100
    100€
    € 100
    100 €

• It doesn't matter what country , be it the Pound , Dollar , Euro , the prefix always comes first

• It DOES matter what country... France, Germany, Italy and Spain for example write 100 € while Ireland & the Netherlands writes €100. It's mostly British countries that use the sign before. Also, of course a PREFIX always comes first, but guess what, it ISN'T always a prefix it's sometimes a suffix.

• I've seen it both ways.

• It looks and sounds weird, its like you're saying dollars 100=$100 or 100 dollars=100$

• It doesn't matter dolar is dolar :D

• Shut up you commie.

• In my country and language we say the number first and the currency second. Anything else would be incorrect, so it never even occurred to me that it's different in English .

• This is to do with ignorance not intelligence, are you that stupid... I mean uninformed?

• I guess because of the way it's said