Are you satisfied with public transport in your country/city/state/area? Why/why not?

Here, we only have buses until midnight. There is only one bus working at night, but it's not convenient for where I live. Also, buses are often late, get cancelled and they are always full in rush hours. When there is a football game or a strike, their route changes with no warning. They might not have heat or air conditioning. Some don't even have a ramp for disabled people. But I take 4 buses everyday to go to the university and go out, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol my country lacks a proper public transport system which really sucks
    i live in a megapolis which is inhabitted by at least 400 million people yet all we have is a crocked bus system which too is private... We have like 1 bus for 20000 people so the roads are usually jam packed...

• Oh, that sounds bad.

• that's a great idea! though my family is willing to buy me a car but they don't like motorcycles, they are afraid of accidents. I plan to get one for myself when I'm financially independent

• get a scooty
      they aren't really fast and so they won't really be worried and if they are against that as well then i dont think its worth it, i mean your money or their money its the same thing... They are only trying to look out for you

Most Helpful Girl

• Very satisfied, but I live in a big city. I can do everything with public transport and between cities, the train service is excellent.

What Guys Said 8

• It is a mixture of good and bad. There are buses and light rail trains on fixed routes. Unfortunately, almost all of those are to an from the center of the city. Which often means traveling most or all of the way into the center then taking another one back pretty much the way you came from to get to someplace in a direction perpendicular to the available routes. So it can take a long time. On the other hand, the buses have the ability to lower the front and extend a ramp to allow wheelchair access. And for people who would have problems getting to and from the buses, there is a door to door service, available only to those severely disabled, to allow them the ability to get around.. So overall, I think it is on the good side, even with the strange routes.

• it's the same here. to go to another area, you have to go through center to change bus. There is a door to door service for disabled people here as well, but they work only with appointments.

• Ours works with appointments also, but that is the only way they can ensure that everyone can be served by the number of buses they have. I think the door to door service is great and do not mind the appointment system at all. (My daughter has to use it)

• Nope. The busses randomly decide that they arnt running today, never stick to their timetables and generally take really aweful routes (20miles takes well over an hour because they frequently double back on themselves to go to villages within easy walking distance, and that's on the 'express' bus) and because of this a journey which would require changing busses is doomed to failure, the trains are also ludicrously expensive, are late about 24%of the time, and are frequently so full that you can't even get on.
    Bloody privatisation.

• I heard life in UK is expensive in general

• Yep. in a lot of ways... but on average people spend 1/6 of their wage on their commute. And that figure includes people who work from home, and walk. Hell in one previous job everyone I worked with was spending more than half their wages on transport.

• We have lousy services for disabled/ elderly you have to leave
    45 minutes to hour just to go over to another town for your appointment
    we have Taxi service but out of town calls got be paid when the
    driver comes to the destination in advanced.. Our bus services run
    from hour to hour.. Where i live the bus-lines are prompt and the
    Taxi service has improved for us but i live in area where we have
    access easy to Bus lines and Taxi service i live in City limits if you
    live in country you got have a car..

• Taxis here are very expensive. When you go to the airport, in places out of the town or after midnight they charge double.. Also, they charge extra if you call them to come and if you carry baggage. Is it the same there?

• Well, on holidays and Sundays regular Taxi service is
      double like $3.60 ( 3 dollars and 60 cents) per mile and
      it's 75 cents for each additional mile but recently with us
      our Gas prices for vehicles, buses, Taxis as went down
      so maybe they lowered their prices.. I really don't know
      cause if i use them for a store i pay for special fare
      which is 1.75 per mile

• The public transport in my area is excellent.

• Where I live at, no. They have NO public transportation. But where I used to live, in Minneapolis, it was heaven. Especially when you can't drive yet and the local high school is not nearby.

• I am in Worcester, MA. Honestly I mostly hang out with my American friends who have cars, so public transport is not very important for me so I do not know a lot.

• NO IT's ALWAYS LATE

• Tbh it literally sucks here and forget about heat or air conditioning we dont even have that

What Girls Said 4

• In the city where i'm studying the public transport is good there are a lot of bus and our transport line isn't that long but HELLO the traffic is like HELL not all the time of course but some days eventually ,,, the other problem is SITTING or STANDING if all the places are taken in the bus i should stand and it sucks cuz our buses are little so it will be bother when we stand with a lot of people in a narrow place. between cities the transport is like WOW cuz it use the big buses it's more comfortable it is always available we are sitting all of us of course i fell relax

• yes, I know. When the bus is full it's very annoying. We have a little traffic, but not unbearable

• sometimes i spend 2 hours in a very short distance because of the traffic while if i walk it i'll spend 45 min ,,, but i can't walk even this short distance cuz when i finish in the university i get very tired so i 'll be kind of FORCING my self to attend buses but let me tell you we are not in that condition a lot cuz our country provide us "we the university students" a very helpful private transport system a large buses just for students they work from 7:00 in the morning to 18:00 from September to jun and because i finish the study in July so i have to use buses that's all

• I live in a small town and there really isn't any public transportation. So I just drive... its pretty hard to live in a small town if you don't drive. In other places in the country there is plenty of public transportation though.

• Nooo! It's called Septa and it sucks.

• It sucks here, but that's fine.
    It's not like I live in a huge city or anything.
    I can just walk.