Is child support leading to higher father suicide rates?

Most Helpful Guy

• this article's from 2002 bro... things have changed since then

• this is merely an example... but tell me what or how things have changed that could make this less true? 13 years is a lot... but how does it make it less likely that this could be a cause...

• if one thing dat hasn't changed i'd bet's dat most guys won't admit they r being battered by their wives, coz this would make em feel less "manly" accordin 2 some of em... but generally i believe things r gettin better now. thanks 2 da internet. they can communicate via their kids online at least much easier than they did 1.5 decade ago... no?

never had kids, so it's just my guess

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• I think if they make kids for someone else then leave them, then they may as well send some payment to help out.

• I've repeated this in other questions... I was making 43k a year when my third daugther was born.

my ex ditched me while I still had that job. willingly paid without and order per HER. by the time she chose to go to court, I had become disabled. the judge chose not to believe anything. so living on PA while I wait for a disability appeal hearing a year from now. and I DID NOT leave them. I still supported. I never left and most did not. check out fafny. org and see just how many dads are in the same boat. or better yet, https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fathers4Kids/ for an even better idea of it.

• They helped make the kid - They should help support it

• you can't give what you don't have. haven't you ever had a utility shut off? scrimped on groceries? for YOU? this is purely the same thing. father's have to live too. just most of those below the poverty level especially, choose to do so by buying physical items, such as clothing and things and help budget a more reasonable contribution. they do support in many ways, just not through cash in hand family court.

• I'm sure they're a factor, but I'd imagine it's just one of many factors on why a guy might commit suicide.

I mean what are the suicide rates between genders in the US alone? Something like 20 male suicides to every 1 female suicide? Clearly there's some major issues that people are having a hard time unearthing, here.

• That's really recent huh?

• again, as above, what has changed over the last 15 years that makes it less true?

• There's different reasons why fathers commit suicide.