Do you think it makes sense to be "proud" of your race (alone)?

Deep question, I know.

While I would never believe you should be ashamed of your race, I don't see why you should be proud of it. When I usually hear someone say they're proud of something, it usually has to do with an accomplishment or reward of some sort. I would obviously be proud of graduating from college, getting a bonus at work, or completing a marathon run. But being black? Nothing's wrong with it, but I was born this way & I don't see why I should brag about being "proud" of it. I feel like people only say they're proud of their race because of perceived societal benefits (based upon skin color) that no one should have anyway.

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• I see no point to it. Humans have no separate biological races anyway (race means subspecies), and phenotypes have no bearing on someone's intelligence, psychology, or athletic ability, and the achievements of people that share the same skin colour are not mine by default.

I view all of humanity as the same thing anyway.

What Guys Said 13

• Being proud of something that you had nothing to do with, concerning choices, is nonsense, imho. Better to be proud of being doing your best to make this world a better place for everybody to live.

History is important, yes, but the present to make the future is what one should focus on, instead of celebrating the past - you can't change the past a single comma, learn with it but don't be stuck to it. If anything, be proud of having learned the lessons the past taught and of be doing your part in not commiting the same mistakes.

All the pride of this or that talk is a big pile of dang, imho. Just opens space for some opportunists and agents of hate to get some kind of projection, to satisfy their own personal agenda, and generates divided people everywhere.

We all have red blood.

• If you were to simply look at colour then yes there is nothing to be proud about. But you need to look at it in terms of both history and social status of being black. Blacks suffer the most intense prejudice in the entire world. From India, to Brazil, to China and Europe . Never has there ever been a race of people that is universally the subject of racist attitudes towards. So by being proud of your race, specifically black, it is meant to help negate the feelings of inferiority that blacks consciously and subconsciously suffer.

• In a black person's case, maybe they're proud to be part of a race that has been through so much and has overcome so much and is still fighting racial discrimination and still overcoming obstacles. I'd be proud of that. Native Americans may be proud of what they are and have had to deal with and still do and yet still overcoming inequality. How about Filipino culture? Colonialism, American rule. Their fights for freedom and recognition as a nation, Japanese occupation. Overcame it all and is a recognized nation. Just a few examples. While Filipino and Native American are not races per se, people can still be proud of theirs ethnicity and culture, even heritage. But of your going to be proud to belong to these, you should try to be a positive living representation of them. My opinion anyway.

• As long as you can be proud without being offensive to other races

• I think you should be proud of or take pride in your country because it's the same as taking pride in the accomplishments of a team effort, in the sense that you value and respect those accomplishments, not in a superiority sense.
    Now, being proud of race (eg proud of everything every black, white etc has accomplished) is stupid. Compare it to being proud of everyone with a cetain number of teeth.
    If I'm going to take pride in anything relating to race it would perhaps be what good the human race as a whole has managed to do.

• "Proud" ? No.
    "Thankful"? Sometimes. Yes.
    I am more thankful for my religion than for my race.

Having said that, you should not be ashamed of your race either. Instead, you should do something good and THEN feel proud that you were able to contribute something to the society as someone from such and such race.

• proud bout sth dat weren't yer choice? nah...

• White people tend to have this the most. Hence all of that white supremacy madness.
    I personally am not proud or ashamed of being white.. It's just a skin complexion. Wow.
    But when I say that most of the proud people are white.. they really are.

• This is actually part of why I asked the question. I feel like white supremacy groups exist not because they're scared of the white race dying out, but because they're scared of losing their societal benefits.

• Because they're f*cking idiots who were brought up in a poor area.. In the US' case their mother tends to be their Sister.. You should have just said 'white supremacy'; because that's what it is really. White people are the only people who believes their race is great. That's the worst thing. My forefathers enslaved African people.. They're proud of that? I'm not. It's disgusting..

These supremacists tend to be racist (ofc).. That's related to poor education and ignorance. I can rant all day about racists. We have racist political parties in the UK.

www.youtube.com/watch

Look at this... Disgrace. Patriotism is stupid.

• I agree. I'm black and as far as being proud, it's one of those things I can't really change so it's kinda like whatever? I'm just happy being the person I am and my race is jus a small part of the complete equation that is me

• Wow I finally found someone who shares my view. Even when people say that they're proud of their nation they seem morons to me. Nationality, race, religion all of them seems like stupid concepts created so that certain people can receive societal benefits. So I completely agree with you it doesn't make sense. Being a moral, virtuous individual is what matters the most.

• You were born white or black, it was literally something you had nothing to do with so why be proud of that. Im proud I've fucked a lot of girls, not that most of them were white. How weird would that be,

• Well I think you should be proud of being black if you give the white boys jungle fever.

Only black girls can really do that.

• I'm more proud of my ethnicity generally speaking

What Girls Said 5

• No. No it doesn't to me. I understand the sentiment, but it makes no sense. Being proud of your culture, your background, who you are? Sure... even though "culture" is a bit skewed for me because I see American culture as a blend of many different races and not a separate culture of each race.

But of the race itself? How dumb does it sound when someone says "Yay! I'm proud that I have white/black skin!"? Super to me.

• I think being proud of being a certain race comes from the history behind it. It wasn't the greatest thing in the world to be black back in the day, so, yeah. Though it's not an accomplishment to be born a certain race, I think don't think it's wrong to be proud of who you are, inside and out.

• I'm proud of my heritage, because I am proud and grateful that my family came to be in the first place. My heritage, however does not define me. I'm more than just my heritage. It has informed some of my experiences but it doesn't run my life.

• I see loving your race is apart of loving yourself and there's nothing wrong with loving your people or your culture

• I agree with you. I am not proud of being chinese since I did not choose to be chinese.