Should people, particularly men, ever be ridiculed by society just because they decide to never get married and disagree with marriage in general?

I'd rather not share my reasons of why I disagree with marriage and general and never getting married yet but I'll tell you that I have been ridiculed by many people (especially from old conservative men) for it. I've been either constantly having my "manhood" question, having my life ambitions and responsibilities questioned, being told that I will most likely be a failure in life if I'm not married and all sorts of bullshit yet I've just graduated with a Masters Degree in Software Engineering (with interships in my background) on my way to starting my career already. I usually try to just stay calm and walk away from preachy holier than thou idiots, like a mature adult and if that doesn't work, I kindly tell these people to fuck off.

However, just becaue I disagree with marriage, doesn't mean I don't believe in love. I absolutely don't mind being in a committed relationship as long as I'm with a very trustworthy woman that I like (and have known for a very long time).

by the way, if you're wondering why my question seems to lean towards unmarried men, men are highly expected to be married so they can gain the "alpha male" bullshit status and plus, people often say how married men are more likely to be successful in life.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• If you leave woman alone - then stay single all you want. However it is wrong to be in relationships with woman when you have no intention of getting married. That is cheating the woman and cheapening their future relationships after their relationship with you ends.

• No. I have an aunt who's in a committed relationship with her boyfriend and has a son with him and they've never had any problems not being married. I don't see what's wrong with being in a committed relationship without being married. I mean, marriage is never manditory in relationships anyway as long as you're happy together.

What Girls Said 3

• I didn't read your description. Too long. But no. No wo/man should be ridiculed for his choice not to marry.

But I do disagree with the "Alpha Male" bit. I don't think marriage has anything to do with Alpha Males. It's more the quality of the man in my opinion that makes him one.

• ... So you want to be in a commited relationship, but not marry? I'm trying to see where your going with this.

• Because marriage costs a lot of money and money never makes me happy in a single bit. Sure, I pay bills with money but only because it's a neccessity. I don't want to take the risk of being in a relationship with a woman and then later find out that she not interested in me anymore, file for divorce and then take away half the things that I've worked very hard for.

• So you want love, but without the risks and experienses? You can try I guess. There are people who never want to marry but they're rare.

• Expenses*

• i dont think so!

What Guys Said 5

• hey man! Yeah, I see no problem with not wanting to marry. You just have to take into account that while in my opinion it sucks, there are things you won't be able to do, benefits you won't get if your partner isn't legally married. I think that's ridiculous, but there it is.

Just so long as you take those into ccount. And I mean, be honest with whoever you're in a relationship that you don't want marriage.

• If someone decides not to get married that is their decision and their buisiness

• Yeah I don't think so bro. I don't believe in marriage and I probably won't get married; my SO and I feel the same way

• Yeah. I just disagree with marriage because it's very expensive and I don't wan't the government to dictate how me and my partner should live and handle our love lives and penalize us with a lot of serious financial losses just because we broke their little rules. It's stupid.

• I run into this a lot as well, truth be told, there jealous of you're freedom. A lot of couples I know in real life; on the outside they seem happy but in reality a lot of them are not & it's not that hard to see through. They feel justified in brow beating there single friends to validate there mistake in my opinion.

• Tell me about it. It's pathetic.

I just disagree with marriage because it's very expensive and I don't wan't the government to dictate how me and my partner should live and handle our love lives and penalize us with a lot of serious financial losses just because we didn't follow their their little rules. It's stupid.

• Men who get married should be the subject of the next Jackass movie.