Muslims: Are you a Quranist or Traditional Muslim?

There seems to have been a growth in the Muslims that are denouncing the hadith from what would normally be considered traditional muslim.

Quranist (or quran only Muslims) reject the hadith or give it little authority because of some of the negative things it says about war and muhammad etc. This muslim movement is interesting because those same Muslims that denounce the hadith as an authority still try to use it in the sense if inheriting it's pillars of Islam etc. Some Muslims go half way between and choose to give the quran higher authority but then only accept the hadith when it agrees

Yes there are 100s/thousands of muslim sects but I'm asking about how most Muslims here would vow to and why

• Traditional muslim
  • Quranist
  • other

Most Helpful Guy

• I follow the Quran and the Sahih Hadiths. I heard about the so called "Quranists" back in high school, it's a group of people who view the Quran as the only source of sharia, even though the name sounds good but the fact that they don't believe in the sunnah of prophet Mohammad is lame and it can be proven from the Quran that it's wrong:
    #1. First of all they say that there's no need for sunnah and they back up their opinion by quoting this verse [ And [mention] the Day when We will resurrect among every nation a witness over them from themselves. And We will bring you, [O Muhammad], as a witness over your nation. And We have sent down to you the Book as clarification for all things and as guidance and mercy and good tidings for the Muslims] ( Surat al nahl ayat 89)

Now pay attention to this part from the verse [ and we have sent down to you the book as clarification for all things] so they say that Allah has sent down the book (the Quran) for prophet Mohammad as a clarification for all things so there is no need for sunnah, however their claim is false because the meaning of "the Book" here isn't the Quran but according to the tafsir it's (al-lauh al-Mahfouz).

#2. Allah told us in the Quran in many verses to follow what prophet Mohammad tell us.
    Examples:

[ He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah ; but those who turn away - We have not sent you over them as a guardian] ( surat al-Nisa 80)
    ------------------------------------------------
    [ Say, "Obey Allah and the Messenger." But if they turn away - then indeed, Allah does not like the disbelievers] ( Surat Ali Imran ayah 32)
    -------------------------
    [ O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result] ( Surat al Nisa, ayat 59)
    --------------

[ Say, [O Muhammad], "O mankind, indeed I am the Messenger of Allah to you all, [from Him] to whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. There is no deity except Him; He gives life and causes death." So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the unlettered prophet, who believes in Allah and His words, and follow him that you may be guided ] ( Surat al-Araf ayat 158)
    -----------------

• [ And what Allah restored to His Messenger from the people of the towns - it is for Allah and for the Messenger and for [his] near relatives and orphans and the [stranded] traveler - so that it will not be a perpetual distribution among the rich from among you. And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty] ( Surat al-hashe ayat 7)
      ------------
      [ O you who have believed, respond to Allah and to the Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life. And know that Allah intervenes between a man and his heart and that to Him you will be gathered] (Surat al-anfal 24)
      ---------------

• And finally #4. If those people don't believe in the sunnah then how reached them who, where and when to pray? Who teaches them how to do zakat? ... and they must be prepared to answer a lot of these questions of how do they do the thing they do if they don't believe in sunnah.

• Sorry my friend about the length of my opinion but I felt that there's a need to explain that. :)

What Girls Said 3

• I've never heard of a Quranist. Is that something new?

To answer your question, I'm a traditional in the sense that I believe in what the Quran says and try to follow the hadiths to the best of my knowledge.

• I never heard of the first term. I follow the Quran and I read hadith's. So far , the ones I have read only encourages to build a righteous character, being kind to others, etc.

I don't know if it's traditional or the other one.

• traditional.

What Guys Said 3

• You've got it wrong I think. It's just that some of the hadiths are false and fabricated. Every muslim acknowledges the hadith it's just a matter of distinguishing the right one from the false one and that's a proccess only the experts and historians can settle not your average muslim. It's a given that quran is the ultimate resource and hadith only complements it.

Why are you all anonymous? xD

• Again this debate I always have in Egypt I am a traditional Muslims those people who r so called quranist they r wrong coz we take our religion from quran and sunnah

• Neither I just born as a Muslim but don't practice Islam or any other religion out there.