Does sleeping in the afternoon make up for lost sleep?

I'm a college student and my sleeping hours are all messed up. For the past few months I got used to go to bed at 5-7 and waking up at 1-2 pm because I love studying by night time.

College ended last Friday for me but I'm still studying some stuff out of leizure (I'm a weird guy). However I decided it was about time to get my sleeping schedule right so I decided to pull an all-nighter yesterday and go to bed earlier today. So I pull my all-nighter and everything is going great, but I crash after lunch. And I crash for 7-8 hours, from 2-3 pm to 10 pm without any interruptions.

Needless to say now it's 4:30 am and I'm not sleepy at all. I honestly have no clue what to do. I've tried laying down but the fact is I'm not tired; I can't sleep. Probably sleeping the whole afternoon was an awful idea.

I'm really considering TRYING to pull another all-nighter today, but this time spend more time outside my room and take a few coffees throughout the day so I don't crash that badly.
My question is: does this count as pulling 2 all nighters in a row? Or does the fact that I slept the whole afternoon make up for the fact I didn't sleep at night?
Thanks :)

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't work for me and makes me feel a lot more tired after taking a nap. You still have time to get your sleeping on a schedule you would like. This might help, try staying up as late as you can then go to sleep when you just can't stay up any longer then the next day wake yourself up early then that night you will go to bed earlier.

What Girls Said 3

• No I personally think it makes you more tired. Plus your day is practically gone

• Yeah but it'll interrupt your sleep cycle

• yeah i do this all the time!

What Guys Said 3

• I try not to if I do, I won't sleep that night

• Naps are actually good for you but you should only take 20-30 minute naps.

• nothing in the human biology can make up for lost sleep but sleeping in the afternoon will def help and make things a lot better