Which would be a better language to learn?

I haven't listed them in the order I'd prefer to learn them by the way, so please don't just select the first one.

• Swedish
  • German
  • Italian

Most Helpful Guy

• As a linguist, I personally find it a little sad that almost all people here are thinking of languages mostly as being a tool, being useful or useless. I strongly disagree with this. Every language has its unique beauty and charm and who cares whether it's useful? What's the point in learning a super useful language if you don't even like it? And if we're talking about number of speakers anyway, it'd be more advisable to learn Chinese or Arabic than Spanish (Chinese has the most speakers and Arabic is spoken in a very large number of countries).
    As another guy in the comments said, I don't believe there's such a thing as a "better" language. You should learn the one language that interests you most and that you find the most beautiful and exciting. If that happens to be Inuit, go for Inuit, if it happens to be Chinese, go for Chinese. I don't think anyone here can tell you what's best because we don't know you and we don't know what you are into. I can only tell you what I personally like. I am a native speaker of Swiss and of German. I'm studying English at university. I'm very much into the Germanic languages. I've also taken some classes in Swedish for half a year but I had to quit them again because I ran out of money. I think all the Germanic languages are very pretty and I would like to learn more of them. But that's just my opinion. IF you are going for German or Swedish, I can tell you that Swedish is much easier to learn because it is a very analytic language, just like English . The grammar is pretty "simple" if you are an English native speaker (no case endings etc.). German is a much more synthetic language and generally has a very complex grammar system, comparable to what old English in the 7th century A. D. used to be like. However, the advantage of learning German is that once you've tackled it, Swedish will, as a sister language, also come easily to you and even the Romance language such as Italian will feel easier because you've learned to deal with things such as the different cases, the genders etc..

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd choose italian

What Guys Said 14

• Spanish , then followed by French , German... maybe... Swedish... if you're interested.

There are lots of Spanish speakers out there and so are there the French from the colonial empires of the yesteryears.

Very practical languages that can be of great aid if you travel across the world.

Germany and the Swedes really didn't have an empire so their language usage is more limited to the region but if you're interested in them why not?

• Spanish seems like a useful language

• Si senorita, es muy util... y facil con practicar.

Spanish is actually one of the only ones I feel IS objectively better, because it's the most widely spoken languages in the world, and the most commonly spoken language on our continent other than English .

I know from a job/career standpoint it goes:

Chinese > Spanish > Everything else.

The reason chinese is considered more valuable is because it's not as common to find someone fluent in chinese. as it is to find someone fluent in Spanish. That's going solely off how good they look on a resume though.

In reality, there isn't such a thing as an objectively "better" language though. Easier/harder to learn maybe, but there's no ranking system for deciding which is better. They aren't in competition with each other.

• Italian can be cool because you also kind of get Spansih too.

I am fluent in German as an American and I can say it is much more useful than I ever thought it would be. German companies are huge in the world, and Germany itself is currently the only real economic powerhouse of the EU. The only thing is, so many of them learn English fluently, at best my German skills are just taken as a really nice complement, but than they just speak English because my accent haha German is pretty similar to English as well, except way more complex grammatically

• Better would depend on whether or not you plan on visiting or living in the country of the language you'd like to learn. None of them are better then the other, some more useful then others though, like if you plan on visiting an area, country or land that speaks primarily that German, then you would want to learn German because it would be more useful then Italian. Otherwise it is simply up to personally preference which one you'd like to learn first if at all.

• Go to wikipedia and see which language is most widely spoken in the part of the world where you plan activities.

• It really depends on what your plans are

• I don't think theirs such a thing as an objectively "better" language to learn.

I went with italian because that's my heritage, but whichever one interests you the most is the best option for you.

• Germany is a very wealth country that you can make business deals with, and if you know their language it helps with negotiations.

• Well, German is the second most used language on the internet, and Germany is the biggest European economy. Of those three, therefore, German makes the most sense.

• Business languages.

• German and italian :)

• Italian because I am part Italian

• German is good. But if I were you, I would prefer russian or chinese or korean.

• Turkish ! Learn Turkish to be able to communicate with 300 million Turks in the world i am not Turkish by the way

• Italian easiest

What Girls Said 12

• You can speak Swedish in Norway, Denmark and in some parts of Finland where Swedish is mandatory in school. You'll be able to understand Norwegian and at least parts of the Danish language.
    I'm Swedish but I've always wanted to learn Italian so I voted for C 😊

• Honestly? None of those listed. They're not particularly useful languages as few people speak them outside of their country of origin (exception of course being German which is spoken in Switzerland and Austria as well). Spanish is more widely spoken and Mandarin will eventually be important for the global economy.

• Most useful: German then Swedish. Italian is useful too and the easiest of those three to learn.

• Definatly Italian. It sounds really impressive when spoken and is a flattering language in general! :)

• My boyfriend is Italian so I'm trying to learn some for when I meet his family. I think it would be a good way to show I'm interested in learning about their culture. Also find it a very romantic language.

• I'd say Italian because in my opinion that was the easiest language to learn (apart from English of course)

• I would say Swedish.

• German is good, I think that there are some English words or cognates but I never took it since I'm learning French (another good one!) and East Asian languages.

• You can only use them in one country. I would go for italian because I like the sound of it.

• Italian.. (Filler)

• Which is the most practical for where you live /what you want to do with the knowledge?

• Depends what country/culture you're most interested in
    All three are pretty easy for English speakers to learn