What is one stereotype that you truly believe in?

It just seems most people want to be politically correct, and deny stereotypes. However, I must admit, there are many stereotypes I've come to see are completely true. What are some streotypes you people would say are virtually factual? And if you really don't believe in ANY stereotypes (which seems hard to believe), than why not?

@mrf284212 You blew this one out of the water! Nice job.

Most Helpful Guy

• Is it more wrong to assume someone is a stereotype or to assume they aren't?

I would rather not subject myself to stereotypes, because many stereotypes are demeaning. Whether they are true or not is irrelevant. Do I want to get to know a person or propagate insults? Not that all stereotypes are insults, but I find anyone that wants to put me in a category as insulting me. It makes me feel too predictable.

All stereotypes have some basis of truth. Even if it was just one person in that group that partakes in the stereotype; it would be classified as true. I'm sure it is rare for just one person to partake in a stereotype though.

But how many people outside the group also partake in the stereotype of the group? If a person does, they are accused of acting like the group, not the stereotype. Once enough people outside the group act like the stereotype, they become a new stereotype separate from the one they imitated.

So do I believe in any stereotypes? I believe people have a tendency to act similar to one another. Especially around those that they interact with everyday. I rarely, if ever, accuse someone of a stereotype. I see using stereotypes as less progressive than not using them. That's why I don't like to associate myself with them.

• all stereotypes do not have basis of truth. jewish people are not part animal. African americans do not tolerate subhuman conditions better than others bc they are 'black'. women are not mentally impaired bc thinking makes their ovaries shrivel. . one person behaving in a way does not make the stereotype true. a stereotype is about a people not a person. if a guy rapes does it make it 'true' that men are rapists by nature? if i beat you in a fight does it mean women fight better than men. if you screw yup a math test does it mean men suck at math.

i agreed with the first part but the rest just looks like you're trying to wrestle your conscience into a tidy little neat box called stereotypes. probably you rely on them more than you are -ethically- comfortable with.

• If you mean putting them into a box as in a box of insults; is there something wrong with that? Maybe not all stereotypes are insults, but I find many people use them that way. I try my best not to insult people. If using a stereotype is more likely for me to insult someone, then I'm going to try not to use them. Or am I way off?

Thanks @CincinnatiRedsfan for the Most Helpful and nice job. Hopefully Azara and I can gain more precision on the topic.

• @mrf284212 No problem! I think you two have soared a powerful discussion.

What Girls Said 4

• Politicians are assholes. :P

• Black men have big things down there.

(Gonna get downvoted for this but oh well)

• What do you consider big, and how good is you depth perception really?

• *sniff* i smell some insecurities...

U got 3 different guys coming at u, lol

• White guys can't dance :)

• Most men are perverted.

See that word? It says MOST.

What Guys Said 15

• Actually it is the politically correct who deny stereotypes. The politically correct say it's wrong to even act as if a stereotype is true.

Many stereotypes are true because they have to be true in order to become a stereotype. People aren't going to say something completely random about someone that has no bearing to it enough times for it to be a stereotype.

Case in point: Many women in high school / college have themselves slandered by guys who are pissed off they won't sleep with them. The guys go around calling the girl a slut. Happens all the time. Yet, you will NEVER see anywhere a stereotype that says girls are sluts, because in nearly every case it's not true.

Most stereotypes are factual, but of course there are always exceptions and it is not the fault of the race. Okay let's say the black people are thugs stereotype. Well, a lot of times, they are. Especially in inner cities. This is not a race thing however, it has NOTHING to do with being black and everything to do with them just growing up in poor parts of town, being around the wrong individuals, etc.

Stereotypes are born in truth but it is not an absolute truth.

• I think AlexanderRose is correct the most annoying stereotype is the political correct person who denies that some people fit into a stereotype

• they may b true in SOME cases
    but generally i don't ake stereos seriously... every person's different yo 8)

• Liberals are two faced cowards. They're all about supporting the rights of all, specifically the 'poor little different minority types' i. e; racial minorities, LGBT, etc but, if you dare speak out against them they attack, lie, cheat, slander those who don't support their agenda.

• This can be said about any political affiliation really. Conservatives, Libertarians, Tea partiers, Green Partiers, etc are the same way. Which is why I don't affiliate myself with political parties.

With that being said, I will say for being so "open-minded and tolerant", Liberals can be quite closed-minded and bigoted.

• Dude I can't think of any that can really stand the test of time, I've met people from so many different backgrounds and they regularly disprove stereotypes.
    Also you may not notice it but stereotypes can change dramatically depending on where you live, this heavily takes away from any degree of veracity associated with most stereotypes.

There is, however, a stereotype I've seen amongst women and men, women are less likely to be wierded out by a guy they find attractive than a guy is to be weirder out by a girl they find attractive.

For example if a guy who a girl finds attractive stares at that girl in a menacing way she may receive it well whereas if girl did that to the guy he'd probably think she was quite odd.

Interestingly if the girl didn't find the guy attractive her reaction would be hugely different and she might even leave the situation, but a guys reaction would not change much. Make of that what you will.

• "women are less likely to be wierded out by a guy they find attractive than a guy is to be weirder out by a girl they find attractive."

I've noticed this the total opposite. A girl can do anything to a guy and as long as he finds her "attractive", he won't be weirded out, where as girls get "creeped" out by anyone.

I never knew that was a stereotype in the first place.

• That's interesting, perhaps it's quite dynamic, varying. Human behaviour is never truly simple to predict after all.

• The stereotype that fat people are lazy. Or at the very least they lack self-control.

Also the stereotype that black women are these 'strong, independent women who need no man'. Don't get me wrong, I love to look at the dark-skinned beauties but I haven't met someone yet who behaves like a plain sweet girl.

• The stereotype about overweight people being lazy and lacking self control should be true (medically speaking) but from my personal experience, I've met just as many heavy-set people who aren't lazy and have good self-control than the contrast.

On your second stereotype... I agree for the most part.

• I believe a certain set of stereotypes, but mostly regarding the most prevalent Hungarian minority. It doesn't really concern people outside of this place, so they wouldn't be able to relate.

• @Mesonfielde , out of curiosity, what's it like in Hungary? I ask because I am American by birth and I only know how to speak English , but mostly Hungarian by ancestry. I know little about it, though. So I am curious.

• @TheSkaFish it'd be a wonderful place if it weren't for the corrupted government officials who are essentially having a dictatorship going on in a democracy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hl83Jpd_OI ), and if they weren't making this place go to its impending doom with supersonic speed. The wages are meh and the taxes are horrible, I pay 35% of my wages for tax, and I also pay 27% VAT on pretty much every product I buy! Most people are leaving if they can, because the wages versus prices are unreasonable. So it could be a lot better, heh. The girls are typically attractive, that's a plus for certain.

• The stereotypes most people believe here r a little disturbing... i think I'm really fortunate to love in texas

Cuz a lot of those i don't experience, and don't really think about people

• Interesting, since Texas doesn't necessarily have the best reputation for... being open-minded (which is another stereotype.)

Of course, I would have a very hard time believing someone who told me they don't believe in ANY stereotypes.

• And the metroplex is home to a lot of companies moving hq here, so we do get lots of different people and cultures in the heart of the state

Things are pretty diverse and mixed dating is too common to be taboo

Lastly, i will say there are parts out in the country id be cautious of visiting...

• Well I've never been to Texas, so I can't speak for your state but the southeastern states fit the stereotypes PERFECTLY.

• Most Asians reverse R and L sounds.

• Not only have I never noticed this, I didn't even know this was a stereotype lol

• I live in a area with a very small Asian population, so I don't get a chance to interact with many Asians in the first place.

• Is there a Chinese restaurant near by?

• Albanians always pick fights...
    I have fought too many Albanians in my life time over stupid shit

• The Mets are pond scum.

• tramps only date men for money.

recesslv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/money.jpg

• Don't get me started.

• Black girls can't handle white girls dating black guys.

• women have brainzzzzzzzz... .