Did your grandmother go to college?

Did she?

My grandmother didn't even finish highschool. She left to help her mother.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• No, she didn't. Though I have to say that my country has a very different education system than the US and only a small percentage of people attend a college/university. My grandma was a kindergarten teacher, so she didn't have to go to college. She attended a special school which was back then called "teacher seminar". It was a type of higher education specially for people who want to become teachers or kindergarten teachers.
    My other grandma comes from Greece and she grew up in extremely harsh circumstances. The way she grew up is practically unimaginable for somebody like me who's grown up in a rich, peaceful country. When my Greek grandma was a little child, Greece was occupied by the Italian fascists and a little later by the Nazis. She never tells me much about it. I've tried to ask her a couple of times because I study history and I find these sort of eye-witness stories extremely interesting. But usually she just says "It was horrible. I don't want to talk about it". Even my dad, her own son doesn't know much about her youth. One of the very few stories she told us once was that in her little village, a bunch of SS soldiers gathered all the villagers on the small market place. There, in the middle of the square were about 20 men kneeling, tied up and blindfolded. The men were Greek partisan fighters from that village who were trying to fight against the Nazi occupation. The SS soldiers made these men's wives and children (and all the other villagers) watch as they shot their husbands and dads and friends one by one. In the end, they made the wives clean up their husbands' bodies and bury them. I assume there must have been more experiences like that but my grandma never told us about them, I assume that some of them totally traumatized her. Because it was war and her family so incredibly poor (she said they were looking for berries and roots in the forest to eat), she couldn't go to school at first. But later, as a teenager, they moved to Athens and she somehow managed to attend a high school (Lyceum), which was absolutely not self-understanding during those days. It meant you were either very talented (which she was I think) or you had very good connections (I don't think she had those ;-)). She could have gone to University but she couldn't afford the tuition fee. So she ended up falling in love with my grandpa and moving to Switzerland, where she found a job.

What Guys Said 15

• my brother and sister are the first people in my family to attend middle school lol
    my mom went to 3rd grade in mexico
    my father went to 5th in italy beforecoming to the US and working

• My grandparents would have left school by the age of 12

• No she did not

• None of my grandparents did. None of them was even allowed to finish high school!

• However, all of their children graduated from university.

• The war, essentially.

• My paternal great grandparents immigrated from Germany to the US. And they had my grandmother here. They were Catholic, and I always wonder if they left because of persecution.

• My Grandparents each had multiple siblings and none of them had any form of higher education.
    My Parent's generation all have 1 sibling, and the oldest child in each went to university.
    My Generation are mostly only kids who went to university, but one family had multiple kids. those kids struggled to finish highschool, dropped out of education and already have kids of their own.

• Neither did my great-grand parents. I know one of my grandparents did.

• Yeah but she didn't graduate. She met her husband there and got married and dropped out.

• No she wwas busy surviving world war two at the time xD

• grandmothers of this current generation are going to be spoiled, clubbing fools. Passed generations of grandmother paved the way and the current generation is going to destroy it because they don't care.

Without their morals, loyalty, love, heart we wouldn't be here. But that doesn't matter.

• I kinda wish my grandma did go to college, she could have gotten a higher paying job and helped elevated my family out of poverty. Her love and relentless hard work provided my mother and uncles with everything they needed though. And I'm thankful to have her in my life.

• My grandmother was too busy avoiding german soldiers in her early teens.

• She went to the household school. Not sure if that's the correct term but basically a high school which also teaches you how to be a good wife. Heh, different times for sure.

• No, my grandmothers didn't finish school.

• no.. my parents didn't even finish middle school...

• Yah, she became a Nurse. Though, only in a department store, she wasn't in a Hospital, or so my dad told me. My other grandmother, I don't know if she went to college.

• I'm black... of course my grandparents didn't go to college.

What Girls Said 21

• My nana got accepted and went but then she got pregnant with my mom so she dropped out and went back to Trinidad and Tobago.

• No, my grandmother who passed away got married at like 15 and had 4 children, that was normal for her time. And my other grandmother never even went to middle school, right now she's 70 something and can barely read still. It's strange to think about how much times have changed lol

• No my grandma only went to 8th grade then she dropped out like most of the other girls in school and left to be a nanny

• Yes in like the 1940's I think. She had to do on campus type jobs to help pay for it. Which is how she ended up meeting Henry Ford in person. It was interesting when she would tell us about that.

• Noo. She didn't have time or money for that in Jamaica. And the other one I'm sure wasn't into it or even really went to school.

• No, she dropped out after third grade... Mexico is iffy on the education aspect of it's peoples lives.

• Yeah, she later became a prof.
    But wow, that's really sweet of your grandmother too. Family is priority

• No. My maternal grandma dropped out of 6th grade when her mom died. After surviving the japanese, she went on to become a popular seamstress in her area.

• No one in my family has gone to college. My mom didn't even finish high-school for reason that will remain classified XD I'm going to be the first one in my family to go to college :D My first semester is this fall, I'm super excited ^^

• None of them went to college. I think they never went to school.

• Yes to the grandmothers on both sides of my family.

• Yes she graduated one of the best universities here. She is an actress

• Yes both of them :)

• Yuppp.
    ---

• My great grandmother and I both graduated from the same college.

• i don't think so. my parents cut her out of my life because she is a really awful person

• I'm the first generation to graduate from high school and go to college.

• nope. she got pregnant and married at 19. as for my grandmother on my dads side, i don't think so. i never met her, she died before i was born.

• I have no idea.

• One of them went to college. The other didn't.

• No, she got married and had my mum when she was 19

• I don't know about my dads mum though, she died when dad was 2