How can I get a British accent?

Is it easy to get a British accent? Im from the US and think that queens English sounds so classy and elegant and i really wish i had that accent, is it possible to get this accent if i keep practicing it? like will it replace my American accent?

Most Helpful Guy

• British accent is indeed the most attractive accent in my opinion followed by the Russian accent but faking an accent isn't that cool, I mean it comes naturally.

What Guys Said 10

• 0|0
  • if you keep practicing? yes

• Probably watch programmes and movies with that accent

• I guess the best way to learn British accent is actually living there, but some people said it can be learned by just listening and practicing

• I think people should just keep the accents they already have.
    But you can easily fake an English accent

• Yes it is possible. You can learn any accent you wish. Just put a lot of effort into it.

• Ask Madonna how it's done

• Don't see why not if you practice enough. It might help if you knew someone with the accent you admire. Then you could learn through imitation.

Why you want to sound like Betty and the Windsor Gang beats me though.

• Practice practice and practice

• Go and learn useful things.. Damn

What Girls Said 9

• Anyone faking an accent would be a little silly. I can understand appreciating it, but if people find out you are faking an accent, they wouldn't be able to take you seriously or believe you about other stuff. I mean, are you just going to go home for Christmas one day and start faking an accent that doesn't belong to you?

You don't just gain a foreign accent unless you moved to another country and lived there for many years. Just living in the US and suddenly speaking with an English accent is the stuff people will make fun of you for.

• It won't replace your American accent because you will have to consciously put it on. Also, most English people can tell when someone is using a fake English accent and generally they'll think you're a bit slow/dumb/developmentally delayed (because Americans speak slower on average than Brits).

• errr North American's may fall for it, but Brits might hear that it's fake...
    I guess it would get better with practice though

• If you were to take professional elocution lessons, then there is a possibility that you could.

• I doubt it. I learned English as an Austrian and we learn British English . People often cannot place my accent. But I can't get rid of my accent no matter how hard I try

• i can you can do it
    many actors when they act, they do.
    it happens after many practice i believe

• Most of the UK doesn't even speak the 'queens english'.

• Watch British videos and mimic them

• I am British, and believe me very few people talk like the queen
    There are various different accents in Britian, most more classy and nicer than the queens