Do you believe in afterlife?

This is one of the questions that have always been bothering me and I know there will probably never really be an answer (even if scientists would have found the answer they wouldn't tell us bc suicide rates etc.) to it but even I as an atheist just wanna believe into something like an afterlife, not like heaven and hell of course but more like on a spiritual level. It would freak me out to think that everything just ends and you are sucked into a void after death. So what do you believe? Do you think there is something like an afterlife? And if you do, how do you imagine afterlife? Any ideas are welcome. :)

• Yes, I believe in some kind of afterlife.
  • Nope, you die and that's it.

Most Helpful Guy

• The first scientific answer was pretty good, but I have a better one:
    There are a lot of parts in the brain with non-replenishing energy, forming a part of your consiousness.
    This energy, protonic exert energy, is missing in dead bodies.
    A scientific law states energy is never lost, and the energy does not seem to go anywhere in the near of the body.
    It must be going anywhere.
    Think about that.

What Guys Said 25

• I believe there is an afterlife.
    With certain conditions, I believe The Creator is more lenient in "judgment" than fundamentalists think. Most people get a pass following the interview. BUT I believe Demons are stalking us at all times from just behind the veil and can draw us in so deep that we are lost and go to hell. I knew a pedophile I am sure was possessed and was coerced into accidental suicide. I believe ghosts exist but are incapable of harming us. They are trying to find their way home or to be reunited with a loved one. I had one in the house i moved into after the owner, widowed for 16 years, went into assisted care. She vanished when her husband died 3 years later. There's more out there than we know.

• I like the way you think, I also sometimes have my doubts about ghosts - as in strange things happen in my house (it's really old) like you know when you are alone in a room but suddenly get the feeling of another presence or feel watched? I have that a lot depending on where in the building I am and sometimes when I turn off electronic devices like the TV they will turn back on right after I turned away. It's so weird.. but I don't believe that this ghost is attempting to harm me either.

• Have you tried meditating? Maybe you might get a taste of something else; rather than going off belief, which ultimately involves subscribing to what someone else has told you. The first gives you some independence.

• I didn't, but I have considered getting hypnotised and doing a 'repatriation' you know, when they ask you to go into a very deep subconscious level and enable your soul of recalling previous lives? of course it might be all made up but some of the outcomes of these sessions are just amazing and to me it's really worth a try because am really starting to consider it as some proof for the existence of something like a soul..

• No names mentioned ;)

• haha of course not

• If you believe in an afterlife for humans, you have to believe in it for all living things. Including earthworms. And plants. And ants.

Which is frankly ridiculous.

Convincing people that "this isn't the real deal, something better awaits, if you only waste your precious time on ridiculous rituals and reading the same book over and over" is pretty much the greatest scam that has ever been pulled.

I've been close enough to death to know that every second is painfully precious, and you're an idiot if you're not spending it right.

I'm an idiot.

• Yeah I'm Muslim so I do believe in afterlife.

• I think that believing in any kind of afterlife makes the thought of dying kind of more bearable, doesn't it?

• Yeah I guess.

• Eh, Humans are just a Parasite on this earth, and once we die, like any organism, we are simply a collection of organized atoms,
    Death is nothingness ;), But, The Beauty of it, You will not exist to know of a nothingness ;P, It will all just stop, Its kind of Beautiful i think, After a shit and crap existance on this earth, You are finally at peace with nothing ;). Death seems so comforting like that

• but what about any spiritual beliefs? wouldn't it be nice to imagine humans and other animals actually have something like a soul?

• Eh, Like i said dude, I ain't really comfortable talking about it, These are things that i have never told another person, So yeah :/. You have no idea how much i appreciate the offer tho, It means a million ;), I just have no idea how to talk to someone about these things ;)

• well, once you do wanna talk you can come talk to me whenever you want - I promise I won't judge or try to dictate & I think that once you talk about your problems you might actually feel a relief - it doesn't have to be me you are telling them too of course but you should consider telling it so someone one day, keep fighting!

• Yes, i believe in a afterlife. I like this Bible verse

Psalms 23:4 (1611 King James Bible)

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evill: for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff,
    they comfort me.

• YES OF COURSE

• What do you think will it be like?

• I see.. so is there actually a hell in islamic belief?

• Yes of course

• Sorry, unable to offer comfort here. It is unknowable. As a great philosopher wrote 'what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.'

The good news is that when properly understood religion and spiritulity is about our lives here on earth and making it better for everyone.

• Yes I do... Surely God will raise all the dead. But God has His own plan of things. A day will come when the whole universe will be destroyed and then the dead will be resurrected to stand before God. That day will be the beginning of a life that will never end, and on that day every person will be rewarded by God according to his or her good or evil deeds.

• I believe there is an afterlife, depending on you will bring upon a happy enjoyable eternity or a sad painful eternity.

• So you think this afterlife will be based on our life on earth (as our behaviour and morals) or will it be shaped by the way we imagine it to be?

• Yes, I believe in it.
    (Welcome down-votes.)

• Definitely. I used to think it was a load of bollocks but I've had experiences that have changed my mind.

• what were they?

• but it's only recently that science has evolved and advanced to the great extend it has today ;)

• science and religion don't necessarily have to contradict one another you know ;) I know many scientists who are religious people

• It doesn't matter what you believe, it is coming your way and faster than you think. I am a Christain but it is gonna be what it is gonna be.

• It's kind of funny because I'm religious and I don't believe there is an afterlife. Preparing for my death.

• but how do you prepare for it? how do you imagine it to be like?

• *sorry if I might make you feel uncomfortable with all the questioning*

• I used to be really religious and I studied philosophy in college and decided I can't take literally all my beliefs anymore. So I don't think I will experience anything when I die. Sometimes it scares me but I just tell myself that I'm small and insignificant and my life and death don't matter. Dying will just be like falling asleep and I decided all I can do is just accept it.

I just try to enjoy each passing moment and see my life as a whole single thing rather than just living day by day. I know it doesn't sound to reassuring but that's what I've come to do.

• yes i believe in after life, i believe in God and I believe in heaven and hell too because even a little dust can't exist from nothing. atheist scientists still can't explain how anything can exist from nothing, if there isn't a God. don't get me wrong, if you are an atheist, i respect your belief too. i just wanted to share my opinion. by the way i'm not a christian, i am a muslim. you can ask whatever you want about islam to me, if you wonder and want to learn somethings about my religion.

• Why would there be an afterlife? What proof is there?

• Well, what proof is there that there is none?

• Actually the fact that humans can make up something, proves there is reality somewhere in the argument.
      Humans can't create theories based on nothing.

• @LadrosTheHeroic, yeah man like Leperchauns and Unicorns, good point.

• I think you just die like going asleep and never waking up.

• do you not believe in the existence of a soul?

• Yes, I meant it more on a spiritual level rather than religious actually

• Well then yes I do

• Couldn't say... maybe you go to be judged at the pearly gates, maybe your soul is consumed by the eternal star-being and Lord of darkness Krokadoloth, maybe you rot in the ground...

• well, rotting in the ground is not exactly what I would consider an afterlife but well.. ^^;

• I wouldn't say so either 😄

• I imagine that after life is short because humans and animals will taken on a brand completely new identity there is also a chance a human man will be born again gas a human girl (the opposite can apply to women). That just my theory.

• so you believe in reincarnation? :)

• I like to believe that too (maybe without the heaven/hell part tho..)

• Yep the possibility are unless you could be born in a different country and gender , and a totally different person. And have absolutely no memory of this life nor your pass lives.

• Yea I do you become one with the earth

• but what about afterlife on a more spiritual level?

• Yeah I believe in reincarnation and some type of heaven/hell but it's not called that it's basically if we live a life of hate envy greed we will live in that hate and if we live a life with happiness kindness love we will be in it and have a chance to be born again

• I dont believe and I fear it

• there is no afterlife. once the human being is born its eternal. and im not talking about reinncarnations. physical death is just a stage. heaven and hell are began to be experienced from this life.

• in a few words. "technically" there is no after- life. the life is one. God created Adam and Eve as eternal psychosomatic beings. after the final judgment those that will be saved will be given eternal bodies to accomodate our eternal souls. bodies would resemble those that humans had before the fall. and even superior than thoes because God Himself was incarnated through Christ and gave us that potential.

• Muslim and I know that there's an after life, as it says in the Quran.

• Stupidest thing I'll read today.

• "My book of magical fairy tales tells me there's an afterlife, so it must be true"

Religious logic

• I'm not religious at all yet I believe in some kind of afterlife ~ you just seem to be a very small minded and intolerant person judging from the way you speak ;) @surfofthenomad

• I get really scared/afraid thinking about this too. Im getting sweaty and lightheaded already :'(
    I just getting freaked out that this could be all over and you won't remember anything, at any moment in a few decades..

• I know right! It's so horrible, I think this is actually a proper phobia - I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.. but maybe there's a way to make death seem more natural and comforting somehow.. maybe by hypnosis or so. I really consider doing that if I get older and this fear won't go away but just thinking of getting older just makes it worse already..

• Yes maybe consult a professional (therapy maybe?), they should be able to help people.

Anyway, one golden tip: have fun now, because you might not have fun anymore in the future

• You don't get 'sucked into a void', it's actually much more pleasant than that. The DMT stored in your brain that is released slightly to make you dream, is completely unleashed when the brain knows you are going to die. This rush of DMT is so powerful that you experience a high that is difficult to achieve when alive (Aside from using DMT artificially) and everyone's experience with it is different. Near-death experiences is from DMT, and some people claim to have percieved aliens, higher dimensions, God, etc. It's an illusion in essence, and time in your perception is altered. You're high on DMT until it wears off, which is after a few hours, however your experience seems like a few weeks. You will likely die amazed, happy or at peace as you believe the high is an afterlife.

Unfortunately when it wears off, if your brain doesn't retain enough function or if you die too quickly, the DMT doesn't happen anymore and you will feel as you did before you was born. Nothing.

That's the scientific explanation. You can use your imagination for the religious ones.
    I myself don't worry about such things.

• Yes but that's not an explanation for afterlife, it's describing the process of dying and explaining near death experiences, but what's a scientific way of describing 'repatriation' - don't know the exact English word but you know, when people get hypnotised and suddenly are able to describe medieval villages somewhere in france without ever having been there or heard of them before into the smallest detail. I personally just like to think that this might be a proof that something like a soul exists.

• It's been studied in children and found to be just coincidence, it's hard to explain but it's easily accessible in google. It's the concept that if you found 200 people that could describe something they have never been before, it might seem like a lot but then you have to account for everyone who can't do it. They got children to make up a news article and 1/5 or something like that made something up that actually happened. The world is on such a big scale with so much going on, it's easier than it seems to be a coincidence.

Explaining near-death experiences and the process of dying wasn't talking about an explination of the afterlife. At the start, I stated how you don't 'get sucked into a void' in order to help put your mind at ease as death doesn't have to be a negative experience.

The sensation you felt 20 years ago, before you was formed, is what you'll feel after death (from a scientific stand point.). This was an explanation.

I agree that it's nice to think of souls

• or afterlife's existing, although I was just explaining it scientifically. I didn't say it was correct, though. Science is just rational thought and logic, based on proof. However, it doesn't mean it's always true as we only know what we know.

Technically you could argue that your energy doesn't get destroyed so the atoms that make you will eventually be a part of other animals and insects etc and you will live through them, sort of like reincarnation.

In terms of religious examples of the afterlife, it would take me quite a few posts with this character limit although I'm sure an educated individual such as yourself would have a grasp on the general religious concepts. It's up to you on if you believe the religious view, the scientific ones or your own made up one. The one thing you can know for certain is that afterwards you'll either have an afterlife, and be relieved and happy, or you won't, and you'll never know.

What Girls Said 8

• I really don't think so. It's like, once those fires not firing, you are lost to time but your legacy lives on and so do your genes if you had children.

• You just did. But then your body reincarnated and rejoins with the universe, so basically the science idea

• I like to believe in reincarnation as well :) - although rather of the soul than the body..

• No. Your body functions are just a bunch of chemical reactions that stop when you die. That's what I believe.

• I don't know...

• My belief is that when u die u are buried. You then slowly decompose and after 100s of years, your body disintegrates. There is no "afterlife", and if you believe in it, how do you suggest it works? What is your scientific logic behind it? Not saying there isn't one, but I'm totally open if anyone has a justifiable theory

• Well apparently there is something like a soul www.psychologytoday.com/.../does-the-soul-exist-evidence-says-yes , at least I like to believe that - I just don't believe that the way human beings function (and some animals too) is that simple. I think there must be something spiritual in this world too, even though I'm atheist. I'm fine with you saying that there is no afterlife, but then again how do you justify that? Truth is we can probably never be a 100% certain.

• No. You die, your brain stops working. That's it for your memories and everything you are. I don't understand what's so scary about not existing.

• I don't get what's not scary about it.. I even get nauseous when thinking of the day it'll happen which might turn into a real problem as I get older / closer to that day..

• *And even if it did

• I think the word 'suggest' is used to point out the actual purpose of the experiment rather than the results but of course what you believe is all up to you :)

• i DO believe in after life of course
    after death and someday the" Judgment Day" we will reborn our souls return to our bodies and we will all stand in front of our lord GOD
    sins means that we will spend the eternity in hell
    good manners will lead us to heaven
    i do believe that demons fairies, goblins and jinns exist in real life we don't see them but they can see us

• Yes, I believe in afterlife.