Is it odd that I feel a lot more English than I do Canadian?

I've got anchor baby syndrome. My dad immigrated to Canada from England 50 years ago, but still retained a lot of English mannerisms, phrases, and culture (I had my first cup of tea when I was 2 and still eat crumpets and bubble & squeak). Though I know I can't claim I'm English outside of heritage, for some reason I feel I can identify more with my English roots than I can with my birthplace.

One of the reasons I can't identify as Canadian is due to the fact that I have absolutely no deep family history in Canada. All of my friends have centuries of Canadian lineage (I'm aware that Canada is just independent England); Their forefathers died for this country and their forefathers helped build this country while my family was still across the pond. Another reason is that I can't relate to many Canadian interests. I don't enjoy hockey, I don't celebrate or care about Canada Day, I'm not into poutine (gross), I'd rather eat Yorkshire pudding with gravy over Nanaimo bars, and Lacrosse bores me; I feel no connection to this country.

I know I can't completely identify myself with England since I wasn't raised there, however, I always feel more comfortable and intrigued when speaking to fob English people. I like being able to use the slang I've picked up on from my Nana, Grandpa, and Dad without having to qualify myself to Canadians who accuse me of trying too hard to express my heritage.

Is this strange?

Most Helpful Guy

• its okay I feel more Chinese than Canadian. I don't even know what Canadian "culture" is.

• Cheers, and I feel like Canadian culture is hockey and bragging about not being American, lol.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think so. As long as you're happy.

What Guys Said 2

• Nahh dude its the culture you identify with

• As a born and bred Englishman im interested to hear your English slang :p

• I'll find myself saying summat, fancy, proper, bint, bird, on your bike, bloody, ta, and things of that nature.

Just things I've picked up from my grandparents and father. I used to say mate when I was a kid but growing up I realized how wack it sounded coming from a Rhotic dialect so I've been working on ceasing that.

• where was your dad born, do you know?

• Garstang, Lancashire.