Are you "offended" by the confederate flag? Should it stay up or be taken down?

• Take the flag down... Its offensive
  • Keep the flag up... Its freedom of speech

Most Helpful Guy

• The Southern Cross is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia in the Civil War. Unfortunately their once proud symbol has now became a symbol of hate and of white supremacists since it was adopted/hijacked by the KKK in the last century.

If you go to VMI (Virginia Military Institute) museums today you see no support for slavery. . . . quite the opposite. But sadly their once proud symbol is too often recognized as belonging those advocating the return of an evil system.

I think it's time to lay the flag to rest at least for a while. After all the Navajo Nation artists no longer use the swastika on their blankets pottery and jewelry to symbolize good luck. Nazi's hijacked that symbol from them.

What Girls Said 4

• The proper place for it the Museum

• There is nothing valuable or noble in flying a flag dedicated to white supremacy and slavery.

• Nothing says white trash like a confederate flag.

• the past is the past and it the losing side flag seems silly, we don't keep up other failed armies flags because they don't stand for what America stands for today, just like the Confederate flag

What Guys Said 14

• It's a largely defunct flag which has been dragged through the mud by missuse.
    If the US changed it's flag every time the stars and stripes get attached to something distastfull you wouldn't keep a flag for more than a week.

You lads across the pond need to relax and realise that a flag is just a piece of fabric which sometimes represents a thing. If I throw out my old union-flag socks (that is the 1801 version of the Union flag, known in some places as The Royal Union Flag or else as the national flag of the UK) I am not throwing out the nation. And if some nutter chooses to wear such socks in a photo, and later blows himself up because he hates bacon, it doesn't mean that the United Kingdom hates bacon.

• Not offensive. While the confederacy did have its dark sides it is also a heritage thing. The flag doesn't just represent slavery, it represents a culture, rich heritage, and a belief in freedom.

• I don't believe so, it isn't even the flag of the confederacy it's the battle flag, and to stop the whole "Symbol of slavery" argument the confederates were much more than just "slavery" blacks were treated like dogs in the north as well, but yet another example of the victors distorting the facts like they did with the Germans in WWII. When I see a US flag in Canada I see it as a flag of treason and terrorism because America was founded by radicals, you see Americans have been killing their brothers right from birth.. The flag should stay because it's history, it has been up a while and just because some mentally unstable kid took a few pictures with it makes no difference in my opinion.. It's like that whole "Video games kill people" argument. Grow up and stop playing race cards and bitching about flags, the kid was not right in the head.

• My opinion as it has been is to not fly it, but not to burn them all. Museums. We need to be able to remember it but I don't think we need to honor it.

However, there is freedom of speech. I just don't think that the government or anything should fly it to 'honor' our past because that is certainly not an honorable past. Individual people flying it, I wouldn't like it myself but that I think is freedom of speech.

• It doesn't matter, people just like fighting about shit that happened a long time ago. It a flag that means the same as the American flag. Which people have no problem when other people step on it, burn it and trash it. The fucking USA is nothing but a race war killing people who just want to forget the past and move on together.

• Put the flag in the museum, where i live in Pennsylvania
    when i saw this one person had that flag on their porch
    i felt so sad inside, this is 2015 that flag should been taken
    down years ago and put in the museum..

• That is a tough one - Probably should take it down but it would stir up a lot of crap

• What's the problem with it?

I'm serious; just in a nutshell explain to me (to a foreigner) why it generally causes some shitstorm to appear?

• Long time ago we fought a Civil War in our country... The confederate flag is the flag of the side who lost yet it still flies in many parts of the country.. Some people are offended by it, others aren't. I personally thing the whole argument is moronic but to each his own.

• The confederates didn't fight to conserve slavery. It wasn't a core issue to the war until very late.. and then it only became such because of a promis that all black slaves from the south who faught in the union army (as disposable shock troups) would be freed after the war.
      The whole war being about slavery is as much historical revisionism as the claims that the US played no signigficant part in WW2. Both are based on a small nugget or truth blown out of all perportion.

• freedom of speech trumps being offended, at least it should

• People think the confed flag is a symbol of racism. Sometimes this is the case. However the actuality is that it represents many things. Sorry that everybody thinks everything is race related.

• Not good! Take it down,

• I'm offended by the American flag. =/

• I don't really care, I may be from Texas, but it's just a old reminder of the civil war to me.

• Interesting, most men say keep it up and women say take it down.