Am I racist for this?

Well when I was growing up my mother said I acted like a white girl (Not on purpose) and I didn't really know any white people. I'm Spanish by the way and for some reason I always hated it and yeah lots of men like Spanish girls because of their nice body and majority of the girls that are gorgeous are usually Spanish but I guess I don't like the stereotypes that are so accurate about them and that's the same with blacks. I have lots of black friends and I'm usually attracted to black guys but I think they don't know how to act properly, they're starting to become obnoxious and I get that's because most are from the hood especially since I live in New York. I wish I was born with blonde hair and gray eyes and my nose wasn't a bit wide. I also wish my skin was a bit lighter as I'm tan skinned. I know most white people wish they were tan. I feel really embarrassed most of the time of who I am especially when I'm around them because lets face it Spanish and Blacks aren't widely accepted in society and will probably remain that way for generations to come.

Most Helpful Guy

• so are you racist for wanting to have lighter skin, a narrower nose... essentially classically Caucasian features?

I don't think this makes you racist. I think it means that you deal with a lot of the inner turmoil a lot of minorities face. I think the problem stems from societal standards of beauty more than racism. You look in the mirror and you see "flaws" as they have been dictated to you by society since you were a child. Because you saw images on TV and in magazines that were deemed "beautiful" and more often than not those images weren't/aren't what you look like the conclusion is that somehow you're not beautiful.

What Guys Said 10

• I mean you seem to buy into stereotypes pretty fully, which is bad because while they make shed some degree of truth on groups, they aren't based on facts like that most black people don't act properly.

In terms of your look, we live in a eurocentric culture where that is seen as the most attractive. I do think in the future people will be able to change their look even of their skin like people do now with avatars once technology had advanced to that stage. I would suggest you try to stop believing in stereotypes since they have the unfortunate result of turning back on you and that is why you think you are somehow less than whites. That will go a long way.

• Frankly, you have said so many racist things, I am not sure where to begin.

The majority of gorgeous girls are usually Spanish. . . black men don't know how to act properly. . . I wish I were born light skinned and with narrow features. . . I hate stereotypes.

And you are wondering if you are racist. Try starting with whether you are in touch with reality.

• not racist, just self-loathing and prejudiced.

• Spanish people are white.

• life is a BITCH but I APPRECIATE her man

• You feel embarrassed to be around white people because of your skin color? Sigh..

• Umm yes it is. Tan skin is gorgeous by the way.

• Thank you for this essay.

• its fascinating you could articulate that.

• A lot of then are very obnoxious. From my perspective at least.

What Girls Said 4

• I live in NY too.

The way these ethnic backgrounds are acting has nothing to do with their race.
    It has to do with the class of people you are surrounding yourself with.

I've been around intelligent blacks and Spanish people, and they do not operate the way you described at all.

Perhaps something about you draws the low quality people in.

• You have self hatred.
      The only way to even begin to change this is to realize you can't change others, and only yourself.
      Love who you are!
      Those few blacks and Spanish people you encounter cannot represent all of them!
      Surround yourself with different types of people.

• Well I know only one girl who was black and incredibly intelligent. And it's not really who I surround myself with that's just everywhere I look. They like to fight all the time, cut class, skip school, smoke weed, throw gang signs, brag about things they don't even have. Every single time something goes on they want to hype things up like animals! They like to use people for sex, twerking on the cameras, speaking so ghetto, they don't know how to take responsibilities for their actions such as having a baby. The one thing that pisses me off more is how they're constantly complaining about whites being racist but they don't improve and educate themselves to stop it.

• Like I said it all has to do with class. The types of blacks and Spanish people you are describing seem like those from the "hood" . Educated people carry themselves differently.

• Yes, this is racist. Why do people have to act a certain way because of their skin colour? You and your mother are both racist.

• My mother is no where near racist. She gets mad at me when I talk about this.

• She is every bit as racist for saying "you act like a white girl"... whatever you class as a white girl to behave is probably negative on us 'white girls'. Get some respect.

• I talked like a white girl there's nothing wrong with that. Somebody is getting a little too offended.

• you are naive to think like this.. and you are too young.. your mind will change when you grow up

• I'm seventeen.

• still young... dont think too much,.. i m sure you are soooooooo pretty.. more than many whites.. ok..

• I know I'm pretty but not good enough :/

• The people you know really says a lot more about you than you think. If you knew better people, you wouldn't have this mindset. But then maybe this mindset is what attracts all the shit bags you know.

• I have met some black people that were good but the majority are bad.