Where to draw the line as a pet owner?

Where does one draw the line as a pet owner? Nowadays it's all about dressing your pets up... heck they even have designer clothes for animals. Dog owners can opt to paint their pooches nails so that they don't feel self concious... spritz them up with a little cologne... bedazzle them with some jewelry like a diamond collar or a nice wig. Heck they even take out life insurance policies on their pets and need be opt for a luxury funeral... I guess a shoe box isn't sufficient nowadays. I know people see their pets as part of the family, but when is it just to the point of absurdity?

Most Helpful Girl

• Its really up to the person. I don't put my cat in any clothes. I buy him good food and I do think he is apart of the family but he is still an animal. When he dies I will take him to the vet and have him cremated. If I had a dog I would get insurance on him, but only to help with the cost of medical care. Not a life insurance policy lol. The rest of it is just weird. I am not painting, or spraying my animal with anything. I don't want to ruin his self respect ;-)

What Girls Said 1

• I treat my pets like royalty but will never do any of the above to them.

What Guys Said 6

• Don't get me wrong I love all my pets to death but I will not dress them up in clothes anything they are after all still animals the only animal I ever put any clothing on was our pug/chihuahua short hair and that was a small plain jacket because he can't keep warm on his own. Other then that I treat them as loved "pets" of the family, they don't get headstones or clothes, I simply go to the back yard and personally dig them a grave each time one dies.

I know people love their pets but you have to remember they are still animals and besides most dogs hate having clothes on, it's not natural lol.

• Pets are part of the family but should not treated like spoilt children - I would say most of the pets hate being coddled anyway.

• That is ridiculous. The animal really doesn't care.

The only thing a dog needs is a collar, so you can attach the line when you take it out for a walk.

• The most I do is wash my dog every few months when he gets really dirty.

He isn't an accessory to dress up; I don't even like it when people dress up their kids like they're dolls.

• Pets are "property" so...

• Just own a pet, don't get the point of fancy stuff.