Do you want to get rid of the Confederate flag?

My skin is white, but my soul is quite clearly black. You're racist if you think otherwise. Yes, I'm transracial - I was born this way, so you can't argue with it!

Anyhow! Why should we get rid of this flag? A flag of immense historical significance to our country? A flag of FREEDOM? just because one asshole posed with it we have to remove it from everywhere? Aren't we just inciting a race war?

Most Helpful Guy

• The Confederate flag is NOT racist!

All it is today is a symbol of southern pride! I can tell you people that because I'm from the south and I know!

I understand that this flag can offend people, but there is truly nothing wrong with it.

• It all boils down this:

This world has become FAR too liberal. If you disagree with ANYTHING whether it be that Dolezal is white, not black.. you're racist... or that you think that Caitlyn Jenner is simply a publicity stunt... you're transphobe...

• Lmao? Prove me wrong? Change my mind? Get over yourself. You're a 15 year old child who's intelligence is not respectable at all to me. Those two things are simply impossible for you

• @Esplorare
      You are so ignorant. You don't give a flip about facts. You use your age as an advantage over me to make yourself look so much more "adult" and "wise," but in fact, you're making yourself look completely pathetic. You are the only person who is bickering in this conversation we've been having. I've given you my points, but your comebacks consist of saying how "incompetent" and how much of a stupid teen you think I am. You are the one who's feeding their ego (by attacking me for my age, hint hint.)

I've met teens here on G@G who are much more mature than you and can handle other people's conflicting opinions without being a brat about it. You are a typical liberal Democrat: Doesn't accept the facts, whines like a toddler, and cannot hold up a decent debate without changing the subject.

The word "hypocrite" rings through my head again.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes. In my humble opinion, the confederate flag is synonymous with the swastika. They are both commonly viewed as symbols of hate which were utilized to support the dehumanization, degradation, and complete terrorization of two groups of people for the simple fact that they were different. Blacks being outraged by the Confederate flag being flown on public and government buildings is no different from European Jews being outraged if the Swastika was to be flown on public and government buildings. While the details aren't identical; both the Africans and Jews were ripped from their homes, forced to do free labor, stripped of their heritage and culture, tortured, raped, suffered MASS MURDERS, and systematically oppressed through acts of evil and hatred that lasted for YEARS. If white people are grappling to associate the Confederate flag with historical significance, then that's pathetic seeing as the history it's associated with fought for the right to treat Blacks like cattle, LEGALLY RAPE CHILDREN, and continue owning another human being for the color of their skin. So quite frankly, that is not a symbol of pride and THE HERITAGE SUCKS. Just sayin :) Since you asked lol

As for the concept of being transracial: that is simply a product of white entitlement and white privilege. For many white people, racism is conceptual; it's a hypothesis and a belief, not a legitimate occurrence. This is why mass amounts of white people are so quick to debate and lessen racially motivated acts of evil or to dismiss race as a factor in a situation. White people are the only group who can go around claiming to be transracial lol So when a black person is racially profiled by a cop, what should they say "Leave me alone, I'm transracial and I'm really an Asian person in my soul" LMAO get real.

• Can someone explain to me how the Confederate flag is a symbol of pride associated with history?
      That flag and where it came from makes me so proud to not be white and I even know other white people who's ancestors are from Poland or who are mixed that agree; they are proud to not be ancestrally associated with America's biggest terrorists.

• I dont see the point in doing that and it honestly doesn't bother me. We're past that and I'm sure you and many other people aren't standing by what you once were it just represents your history and you have a right to. Just like the Union flag still has a right to stand strong. Regardless of the past they both represent America in a way.

Yes some people in the south are obviously still racist and they do use the flag as a symbol to represent their "superiorty". But at the same time it's also a part of Americas history and it is just as much as a symbol to the South and America as the Union flag is to the North and America.

Will taking it down stop racism? No, so what's the point?

• If your born white then your a white person 👋🏽

• EXCUSE ME THAT'S RACIST!!! YOU WILL BE BANNED!

• I did say your on drugs etc so I sensed the crazy side to it an did think it was a joke but these days people insane so wouldn't of been surprised if was real post

• Oh god here's a repeat of the whole Rachel Dolezal situation... Lbs

• The Confederate Flag is A symbol of the South and a very historical flag that is a part of our American history.

• Just because it's a piece of history doesn't mean we should be proud of it. The issue isn't one asshole anyway, the issue IS the history.

I only want to get rid of the Confederate flag on government buildings. For so, so many people, it is a symbol of oppression and hatred. It's been used thousands of times to represent hatred and racism. The fact that it flies over government buildings is only comforting to people who have been privileged enough not to understand why that flag offends people.

Stick it on your car all you want. Buy one, buy five, buy a hundred, not my business. Just don't fly it on government buildings.

• Although, for the record, personal use of that flag is pretty messed up too. The Civil War is an awful thing to be proud of.

• I don't think we should have to get rid of it if u don't like it then don't buy one don't fly one but don't chastise the people who choose to embrace their southern culture we can not help what on ass hole did but does he have that much power over us to take away our freedom to do what the hell we please on our own property I don't think so the government is trying to control to damn much as it is already so I say fly it proudly and for get about all this bs about it being racism

• It's interesting how so many white people truly seem to believe the fuss is over "one asshole" as if there is no other significant, legitimate reason for people to be bothered by the Confederate flag.

• Regardless of what race you are, you sound ridiculously unaware and too self-absorbed with your own beliefs to realize what the fuck is goin on around you and outside of your head

• I'm ridiculous there was a much loved TV show that had a Confederate flag on the top of the car the entire time the show was running and u didn't see anyone complaining about that now did u and it was on TV for a very long time and still has reruns that play now and not to mention there are rappers who have been seen on stage in outfit of the Confederate flag and have had it on their album cover which buy the way they where black if its such racism them why are they wearing it

What Guys Said 11

• I know I'm purple and I'm tired of hiding it

• The flag doesn't bother me and I don't know anyone who it does bother. No one I know complains about it. The only negative thing I heard about the Confederate Flag was from the Charleston shooting. It really is part if our history. So I don't see why we have to remove it.
    What our ancestors did to slaves was wrong but I don't see how taking down a part of the Souths past will fix anything. I'm sorry but I don't see how it will solve abything.
    Some of my friends who are black never said anything about the Confederate Flag. I think it's just the Yankees who want it down.

• I identify as a cucumber and want to legally marry an eggplant.

• I think the flag has become associated with racist groups.

• exactly, this is exactly what he wanted, do we really want to do what that psycho wanted us to do, over a stupid flag of all things

• It's a symbol of hatred and it's usage and meaning are quite clearly still prominent. Basically ban it for the same reason Germany banned the use of the Nazi flag in Germany

• We have to get rid of anything offensive. It just makes sense.

• I live in Texas. I'm impartial, but you'll have trouble with some of my friends if you try to ban the confederate flag here.

• I from Killeen man... can you imagine! I'm black in TEXAS? :O

• The discussions revolve around the flag's removal from state grounds, not someone's private property

• I'm not educated on the debate, my apologies.

• Dude I'm black and I see nothing wrong with it. Hell if I had the money I'd have my car painted to look like the General Lee.

• I think that the confederate flag, (You know that the democratic party used it as their symbol, right? lol... silly democrats) is an expression of southerners. It is their freedom of speech and should be protected, no matter what you or I think.

Below is an image of the confederate flag flying in front of the SouthCarolina Statehouse on June 19th 2015. media.npr.org/.../...740604e6d6e1d29e-s800-c85.jpg

• I heard a black woman took it down yesterday!

• Well, the country is going to hell in a handbag. What ever happened to the Constitution?

• Oh, I'm sure you are.

Anyways, this flag meant one thing: opposition to the abolition of slavery, not much else. Why don't I hang a nazi flag in a Jewish neighborhood? I MEAN COME ON MAN, JUST A FLAG!

• You stoopid

• I just told you, those flags both represent an agenda that discriminates against a certain group of people. People love to argue "B-but the American flag flew over the Japanese internment camps!", was that America's entire agenda throughout our nation's history? Was that what it represented for by our founding fathers? America has done some fucked up things through the course of our history, but our flag isn't a representation of any of those particular incidents. The Confederacy was about keeping Africans as slaves, the Nazis were about using Jews as a scapegoat for all their problems and subsequently mass murdering them.

• @Asker I explained how they are comparable yet you are mute on my post.