I'm sorry, how is the confederate flag just a part of southern pride again?

How is the confederate flag representative of anything but white supremacy? People love to say "Oh, well Americans flew the American flag over Japanese internment camps, that's a sign of oppression too!" America has done some horrible things, but is that why it was established? Did our founding fathers create America with the intention of oppressing Japanese people for their own benefit? No... Now what was the point of the confederacy, ohhh right, to keep Slavery legal because Abe Lincoln just got elected. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand, but it's always just "Man, those fucking PC liberals are offended by everything, meh!"

Most Helpful Girl

• Its a slavery sign and should be banned except for movies or war museums.

• How did you decide on your username?

• Haha, that was my master plan!
      @Watermelonoma thanks you

What Girls Said 5

• Because people are bigots, and it's easier for them to stay ignorant and bigoted than to admit their behavior was wrong. What people love to argue is that the confederate flag was representative of "states rights". But that's pretty obviously idiotic, considering that the designer of the flag himself explicitly stated that the flag was about white superiority. Basically people just want to be able to ignore that, and will go to ridiculous lengths to justify their behavior.

• You got a source on that the very creator of the flag said it was about white supremacy?

• Because people are horrible and will not admit to themselves or the world that they feel the same way about black people as the Confederates did. we know, guys. You can stop pretending for our sakes now.

• That flag is horrible.
    And I doubt they will take it down.
    White people get what they want in America regardless of how fucked up that flag is.

• Who the fuck knows, I don't think it is

• i dont get it either!

What Guys Said 11

• Im' nto American so I'm not even gonna get into this
    But i do wanna say that the confederate flag is:
    Actually pretty cool, i mean purely by how it looks. Not what it might stand for.
    As a foreigner it does actually give me more a 'southern vibe' then a slavery vibe.

Probably because i mostly saw this flag in dukes of hazard and like on southern rock band t shirts and shit.
    But as a foreigner (and i think many foreigners with that) i never really unified that flag with slavery.

Not like people do with the swastika and nazism.

• That's because you haven't looked into the history of the American civil war.

• well i'm from Europe we have plenty of our onw wars to remember.
      That's why i say what i say, for the average non American, that flag is not really unified with slavery.
      It's not a worldwide symbol for slavery like the swastika is to nazism that's what i try to say.
      Even tho i do know that it is the flag of the confederacy and i do know that they were pro slavery.
      But I also saw it in tv hsows, music bands and stuff... so i associate it more with that then the orignal.

AGAIN as a NON American

i can get that for americans it is. But i'm nto gonna get into that cause i'm not American.

• Can we stop the talk with the confederate flag?

• Nope. Not until people actually recognize how racist it is. Until then, it remains an important issue that must be talked about.

• Just because a few people make jokes about it doesn't mean we should refrain from talking about it. Not talking about the issues at all is far more harmful than a few people making distasteful jokes about it.

• @cipher42 You do have a point

• It funny listening to these metrosexual liberals bitch and moan about this flag.

First of all, by calling it "the Confederate flag," you show the world that you don't even know what you're talking about from jumpstreet. Second, the flag was never used to symbolize anything other than the unit pride of the Army of Northern Virginia. Not that most liberals understand the concept of unit pride, but it's a critical concept in military units. Third, saying that his flag represents oppression and slavery is the greatest hyprocrisy imaginable.

The US flag flew on ships that carried slaves, it flew over the White House as slaves constructed it, it was carried by cavalry units as they slaughtered Indians in the state-planned genocide, and it flew over the Supreme Court as they rendered the Dred Scott decision, Plessy v. Ferguson, and a host of other decisions that reinforced the second-class status of black people. So if you're going to advocate the removal of "the Confederate flag" as a symbol of oppression, you're going to have to go ahead and strike the Stars and Stripes while you're at it, lest you show yourself to be the buffonish hypocrite you are.

So, the upshot here is, it's always best to know when you're uninformed so you can the fuck up and perhaps learn something. No one is going to tell Southerners to get rid of a flag under which their ancestors died.

• Hmm, care to cite some sources on that?

• Here's something interesting

m. mic. com/.../here-s-the-racist-meaning-of-the-confederate-flag-in-the-words-of-the-man-who-designed-it

• Oh, I see you were referring to the United States flag, which I already addressed is not symbolic of the oppression of anyone despite our dark history. The Confederacy, however, was about one specific agenda, keeping the slavery of Africans alive, the flag is symbolic of that, I don't understand how hard that is for you rednecks to understand.

• It is a symbol that offends large sections of the population at the moment.

• So here's my take on the flag. The first thought I get when i think of the confederate flag, i think of loosers. Now this isn't because of the fact that they lost the civil war. The reason is because when i think of American history, the confederates, based on my education of what they stood for (at least in part) makes them amongst the least American individuals there were, because in my view... to be pro-slavery is to be anti-freedom. So for this reason, i see absolutely no reason why the confederate flag would be flown on government buildings. Even when i take away the pro-slavery stuff, it still doesn't make much sense to me as to why you would have the flag of the defeated, the flag of loosers, being flown on government buildings... where the only flag that should really be there is the flag of your country, which is the American one.

That being said, i don't agree with outright banning the confederate flag. It's no coincidence to me that a lot of racists cling to this flag for their dear lives, but banning the flag will not remove racism from the hearts of people that are already racist. All you do is push these racists more underground, where they can't be seen. If one believes that the confederate flag is only loved by racists, wouldn't it make sense that you'd want people to have the freedom to still fly it? At least on ones own private property? That way, you can mark who is a racist, and who isn't by simply identifying the flag on their lawn or car. But the truth is i don't believe that only racists take pride in the flag. From what I've been told, the Southern pride aspect that the flag represents has to do with its history, culture, heritage, and the fact that the south did not bend to the will of the federal government. It comes from a tinge of libertarianism, and is romanticized like the 1886 rebellion against the British who like the federal government wanted to impose their own will and domination over free thinking people.

Personally, it will pretty much always be a symbol of racism to me, due in part to what the confederates stood for, but some southerners have a different view on its meaning that may not necessarily be racially motivated. i believe people have the right to fly it on their own private property... but you'll just never find it flying on my house for as long as i live

• Southerners have the right to feel pride about their flag just like you have the right to disagree. White lives matter too you know. White pride!

• By what right do you dictate another person's freedom of speech and expression? Would you want me to judge the things you believe and hold dear. It is his right.

• Oh okay, let's hang Nazi flags in a Jewish neighborhood and say "It's a part of German History, god! Freedom of expression man!"

• I understand the issue. I don't think you ever come back from limiting freedom of speech. It is an area where we should be hands off. It may be black and white to you, but that is only from your stand point. To someone else it is the opposite. Once you curtail speech, other things follow.

• Oookay. Here we go. "Freedom of speech" doesn't fucking mean freedom from criticism. It means the GOVERNMENT can't punish you for what you do. It doesn't mean what you're doing is okay. It doesn't mean other people can't criticize it. It doesn't even mean you can't get fired for it. Do your damn research, man.

• the confederate flag is a symbol states right, and liberals are offended by everything

• It's a symbol of treason and a movement that had a sole purpose in keeping slavery alive, a horrific period for African Americans in the country, wake up.

• the confederacy split because they were tired of the federal government telling them what to do. and sure the straw that broke the camels back was slavery but it wasn't the only reason

• Christopher Columbus hated the Japs because he fought in Vietnam so your argument is invalid.

• You have a 6th-grade understanding of the Civil War and its causes.

• Why dont you research it? Ever been to school? Your age says 25-29... Must be ignorant

• Oh okay sir, clearly you have some knowledge on this subject, let's hear it. What is it a symbol of other than slavery and why?

• The confederate flag is the same as a swastika sign. It should be banned, because of its history. Simple as

• Yes, that's what I'm implying, it should be banned.