Is it possible that sleeping is our natural state and we're only awake to gather information for dreams?

• Possible
  • Not possible
  • I don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• Kinda interesting!

Well if you think about it? I'd say no because of the level of consciousness which is different in the two cases ; when you're sleeping and dreaming you're not always conscious that you are dreaming, when you're awake you obviously are.

Furthermore, if the sole goal of being awake was the gather of information for our dreams, they'd have a goal, right? I don't see any, but who knows?

What Guys Said 12

• This is a really interesting question when dig deep into the subject. Studying all the indigenous tribes and ancient aborigines, what you'll find is that virtually ALL of them agree on one thing. That the dreamtime is in fact closer to the actual reality, than our so-called waking world is. Many of them place so much emphasis on this that they believe it is imperative to both interpret the "dream" correctly, as well as to master your fears within your dreams, so that you're daytime life, and the life of tribe, can be a success as well. The Senoi tribe is a prime example of this practice, and has extensively studied. Food for thought. After all, these tribes have been a round a far longer time than Western culture/society. And contrary to many ill-informed people might believe, they are not primitive or superstitious. Quite the contrary. If anything, they are very advanced, understand things much better than the average Western mind, and have learned and discovered many things and wonders over their thousands, or even millions of years (regarding the aborigines in particular) of tribal history. The West/"rational mind" would be wise to be very open when it comes to the nature of reality. The truth is far stranger than fiction.

• In a way... yes.
    That is the lowest state of energy possible beside from death.
    Like putting a ball on the top of a hill.
    It'll tend to roll down...

Yet... what is "natural state"?
    Is a ball on top of a hill any less natural than a ball resting at the bottom of the hill?

• Metaphysical questions are fun lol

• Ball in a vally is a stable state. It's the state of the lowest possible energy. Ball on top of a hill is metastable. While it's stable at that time any variation of the energy might lead it to roll down...
      It's a very physical question and thermodynamics, mechanics, chemistry etc deal with that... It's not only metaphysics!

• No, you are dreaming only because your brain is not perfectly on standby and you see the result of the "noise signals" that are part of the restoration process. I only dream when I sleep like crap.

• Living beings have been around for much longer than sleep has. For humans, no difference. In fact, we dream to put together our thoughts and memories that we had during the day. Basically, dreams are simulations about memories we need to keep or test.

• Looks like you gotta movie scenario right there hehe

• I'm open for anything man. This is a really interesting perspective. Will add this to my "philosophical" way of thinking and the way I interpret things :)

• I like that logic

• Nice thinking, but what if dreaming is real and life is just the dream or what if we are hopping through different realities, ir something like avatar

• No, because the waking stat serves multiple purposes, such as providing for biological needs.

• life is living with loved and dreams are the life we loved to live

• we were meant to be dead. Adam and Eve wakened us.

• no. paradise and an incorruptible semi-ethereal body is our normal state and we have this ephemeral body that needs sleep only for as long as we are on earth.

What Girls Said 6

• yes it is... i wait for the time to sleep when i am awake... i just wish i would get a job which would pay me for sleeping... :(

• No, that doesn't make any sense.

• if that were so, then we would remember more of our dreams.

• I don't know, never thought like this.

• Nope...
    Not possible.

• Sleeping is a natural state, consciousness is a natural state. Both are a part of the human existence.