What would your standing on the subject be?

I am a Physics student at university, currently aiming for a first on my Masters and doing well so far, planning to go into a PHD in robotics, bionics or neurology to try and further human capabilities, circuits are my thing and I want to help the otherwise hindered to give everyone equal opportunities.

My main drive is my sister/cousin (long story) cousin by blood, sister far as I'm concerned, she had an accident removing her of fingers on her dominant hand when young. She got through but her general nervousness from worrying about others clearly harms her self esteem. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have her any other way, however I want to help design robotic fingers and eventually give her some. I am determined, I will do it.

The question is, I have made robots to pick up things around the house or make a cup of tea haha.

I wonder about peoples outlooks on robotic parts of humans. Bertolt, one example.

T
here are cases of people who lost a leg and can now walk. My professor asked how I would act personally if I created a limb which could function better than my own. (I have had my own accident on a hand where nerves and tendons and nerves were removed, its the same as it was, except I can't feel very well with it, everything else works as normal.) I said I would happily donate limbs and become bionic, I find it fascinating, what's your take.

Bionic eyes and lenses and what else are already in production, along with blood and kidneys, cost is the biggest problem however.

What would you like to see?
Would you replace your body parts for bionic counterparts?

Why/Why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont think I will replace it with bionic parts. Sounds kind of scary to me and painful.

You have robots in your house?

• If you were on anaethesia then it should theoretically be relatively painless, if you could get it done pain free, are there any other principles stopping you?

Curious.

Yes, I programmed some arduino boards as a hobby, my girlfriend always had trouble getting up so I made a switch that causes a machine downstairs to put on some toast and the kettle. It's not very good, but it works. My favourite one is one that turns at set times to dispense food to the cat. It's for practice purposes mainly.

• Fair enough, maybe it would depend on the risks for you personally and what exactly it entailed, I think that outlook is important too!

Why thank you. We each have our skills.

• Yep! :) and you're welcome :)

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• I see bionics as only being appropriate for those with disabilities or injuries. In those cases they're a godsend.

I'd like to see bionic everything, basically, for people in need.

• Everyone would replace parts for robotic half of guys would do it if there was nothing wrong with them.
    I always wondered why someone can't create electrical impulses to move limbs if a body toner can crunch your abs for you why not wire up a full leg for someone paralyzed.

• I would replace my working limbs for robotic parts if they were good enough for sure, I've met some who wouldn't though.

Funny you say that, if I get your meaning correctly, there are in fact hands and feet which now move via electrical impulses inside your body.