I'm a dumb girl, how do I become smart or more intelligent?

I'm like a 3-4 on the level of intelligence that people usually have..
Everyone thinks I'm so unique, interesting or like some Goddess of intelligence.. -rolls eyes-
But I'm not lying when I say that all I have is common sense and no intelligence..
So the question is how do I become intelligent?
Cause to survive in real world i need to be smart..
And I'm not :(

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 25

• Hmm, I would say the complete opposite.

To be able to survive the the real world you need common sense and not necessarily intelligence. (I would also state that common sense is a type of intelligence that I would refer to as wisdom)

It doesn't matter if you know everything about quantum physics or can remember 20000 digits of Pi. Those things are smart things but doesn't help you in your every day life.

A type example of someone with high intelligence but no common sense is a person with savant-ism. The famous movie "Rain Man" illustrates this very good.

Intelligence allows you to gather data but without common sense (wisdom) this data is useless because you have no clue what to do with it once you've gathered it.

That being said. The brain is like any other muscle of the body. With practice it becomes faster, stronger and more efficient. There's a number of memory games and such that will improve your mind and the responsiveness of your brain.

• I suck at maths/physics.. :(

• So do I.
      Personally I understand emotions much easier than other things. Just because you are not a human calculator doesn't make you a stupid person. Intelligence is so much more than just understanding math. And like I said, intelligence is useless anyway if you don't also have common sense.

Intelligence is relatively easy to train. Gaining common sense is much harder.

• You don't strike me as dumb at all. What, do you mean you aren't good at math? Haha, that's not the only form of intelligence. Search out Multiple Intelligence Theory.

Otherwise, read and write, remain curious about everything, even things that don't always interest you (just don't soak all your time on those), and above all, learn about other people. Figure out what makes them tick, and become as socially savvy as possible (and always try to improve!).

Become a student of living, curious about everything.

Self-limitation is the only form of stupidity, in my books.

• I would add one more thing.

Pick one skill to **master**

Be curious about many things and well-versed, but to really unlock the mysteries of intelligence, you must *master* something--there is no substitute. Whether it's advanced calisthenics, learning to write the best advertising copy in the world, becoming a phenomenal musical composer or a novelist, pick something you love and master it (note: this takes a very, very long time. Be patient).

• I want to master many things!
      Not just one..

• Haha, well... pick one at a time ;)

• While I doubt your as dumb as you think having common sense is better most of the time than intelligence. There are a lot of people that think they are smart but lack of common sense hurts them more than anything else.

• I believe that brains are similar to muscles, the more you 'correctly' train them, the stronger they become.

• And how can I correctly train my brain?
      I just feel like there's no solution.. :(

• Math is the basic of science. If you are not good at math, then you are not good at a lot of things.

• I know I'm dumb, don't make me cry now.

• read read read. and watch. start by knowing where this world is going and how you can profit from it. I have a myTake that may help you there

• I don't like the word intelligence or smart - Everyone is intelligent in their own unique way - You are good at some things not so good at others

• The only personality trait that is directly correlated with intelligence is Openess. Geniuses are always exploring new crafts. Always try new things. Your brain will develop new connections, increasing both your fluid and crystal intelligence over time.

• Learn new things hands on? I always find learning things hands on is the best way to gain new experiences and learn new things.

• Yiu can't be THAT dumb, the really dumb people don't even realize that they are dumb.

• I would think reading material that interest you is best thing you can do
    i know going to the library does help a lot ,

• What makes you say you aren't intelligent? Your language skills seem good to me. Is there some area in particular you want to improve?

• I don't know, I'm just so Damn naive.. I just.. Don't know how to explain it.. I'm just dumb.

• There's a difference between being naive and being dumb. I think you're more intelligent than you're giving yourself credit for. We all do and say dumb things. I'm no different now than I was at your age. I regularly put my foot in my mouth. And I'm a professor, on top of it. I'm expected to be smart, but the first thing I tell everyone is that I don't know everything. But more directly, you need to work at it, like anything else in life. You have to study, review, and give things time to be absorbed. Doing homework isn't fun (grading it isn't either, trust me) but it'll help you understand. You'll do just fine. :)

• By getting off the Internet and more active in real life, though you can brush up your skills using Internet help and then applying in real life. But real life is what teaches you practically and makes you smart.

Ever heard of the word 'street smart'?

Internet is just a fantasy land, in which you can be anyone or anything.

You should play chess more often and be willing to learn new things.

@yazanaa
    As he very well said.

• The only reason I'm so active is cause school's over and college will start in September.. So I don't have much to do til then.

• That's good then.

Its quite hot here and Ramadan, so i also spend more time indoors.

• You can't become more intelligent. Intelligence is given at birth like a sleeping potential.

You can educate yourself and gather a lot of knowledge, but knowledge has nothing to do with Intelligence.

• So I'm basically doomed :(

• lol you're cute. This is kind of funny.
      Don't worry. I think it's more about insecurity rather than genuine lack of intelligence. :)

• I hope so.. Thanks! :)

• To me this sounds like an insecure person that is intelligent and doesn't realize it.
    Why do you think you are not intelligent?

• I just know I'm not..

• When I was your age I used to think that about myself too. The problem is that I looked too much up to other people. Later I found out that I was just as smart as them and that they actually looked up to me. It was my own perception that kept me down.

I see the way you write. Trust me. You sound intelligent.

• Are you pretty? You don't need intelligence if you're pretty.

• I need intelligence even if I'm pretty.. :P
      How will I survive with just my looks?

• Get a guy who's smart enough to make up for that. Pretty women do it all the time. It's just how you use your skills.

• But I don't wanna use a guy!!!
      That's morally wrong!!

• Everyone was zero at one time, so if you practice and work hard you can be

by the way how do you know you are not intelligent?

• Solve puzzles for fun.

• You have to gain experience points and level up so you get more points to increase your ability scores.

• Read more books

• Start. By reading a lot of stuff about the tubes u like then learn it's basics

• Read books? Solve puzzles? Be social with people?

• I read books and I'm not as social as I used to be.. but once college starts I'll be..

• School's over. College will start in September.
      Subjects will be Biology, English , Physics, Urdu, Islamist, Arabic and Chemistry.

• Then socialize with people, and you should be good to go.

• You become intelligent by learning, by adapting, and think about the things that makes us freak out

• Instead of fun videos or generic web articles... watch documentaries on things you like or want to learn about and same with the web articles. You can obtain so much knowledge from changing your media consuming activities!

• Lumosity. com will help you.

• Get off of GAG, and read credible things. GAG is not credible

What Girls Said 10

• Well, you're definitely smart enough to survive. Common sense is important. I'd say, read mre books, but not novels, non-fiction books. I recommend Sex and Punishment to everyone. It's not a BDSM book or something, it's about the history of sex laws. Eating Animals is good too.

Get involved in a veriety of subjects, unrelated ones. Research human birth, abortion, the Armenian Genocide, Coco Chanel's life (but avoid books, I read one and man, I can't imagine her pain, reading alone made me depressed for a week), the Holocaust, how people dressed in early time periods, how people all over the world live, different American tribes, slavery, other countries' politics, traditions, child brides, just learn as much as possible. I know you're trying to learn Arabic, try another language. I wouldn't be the person I am today if I only spoke Turkish.

Here's a video:
    www.youtube.com/watch

• Thanks!! That was a good video..
      Child marriage sadly exists.. It's just so horrible..
      My aunt knew a girl who was 16 and she was married.. I was just shocked 'cause this kind of thing no longer happens in Karachi at least.. Ot that's what I thought..

• Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Yeras of Judging Desire - Eric Berkowitz

Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer

• The first step to becoming a more intelligent person is recognizing how very little you know. Congratulations on making the first step!

The best way to become a more intelligent person is to be curious. Learn about anything that tickles your fancy. Read and criticize things you read. Inform yourself enough to make educated and balanced opinions.

• Take a test of IQ, if you have a 100 IQ you're totally fine baby :) Don't worry <3 I don't think you're dumb, it's a pretty intelligent action what you're doing, want to be smarter makes you smart already. Dumb people don't want to get more intelligent lol

• You have to experience everything, this is why elders are smarter, because they have experienced a lot of things already and know what's good and what's not.

• But then I'll have to become old and I don't want to be old.

• Ok.. So intelligence is just about experience?

• It depends on what kind of intelligence, but how you explained it in your description, I think about things in life. But if you learned everything in school without doing it, you wouldn't know how to do it, so in most cases experience plays a big factor.

• Improve your knowledge. Will power is more important than talent (iQ level). You won't improve your iQ, but you can know a lot and become handy in things.

• Firstly you should never acknowledge you are dumb in your question above because you are not and have potential just like anyone else. I've never really though of it like how can i become more intelligent. I just do the things I've always wanted to do and experienced stuff and learnt from my mistakes. Just be yourself and learn from every situation. And you're still young... and read quite a bit, it will increase your awareness on issues

• How will I become smart if I won't acknowledge that I'm dumb?

• Becoming smarter has nothing to do with acknowledging that you're "dumb". I never did that. Trust me, just be yourself and like many have said here, just read, do puzzles, talk to others, etc. Basically live every day. I went into medical school thinking how will i ever get through it, but you know what i took baby steps to learn and read and be focused, and here i am 9 years later, a qualified medical doctor.

• School and studying

• Maybe try reading more and watch tv-programs that are a bit more educational? Do you want to be more intelligent overall or just when it comes to a certain subject?

• Read everything you can

• i dont know... tbh, i'm just really a lazy person, can you tell me on how not to be lazy?

its like answering that question.