Does America deserve to be sanctioned by Europe (France and Germany in particular) for spying on them?

Will any country actually have the guts to stand up and say "enough is enough" to the corrupt US government?

Most Helpful Guy

• doubtful they won't even stand up to ISIS

What Girls Said 1

• No it doesn't.

What Guys Said 9

• Honestly, being European myself, I find the attitude of Germany or France rather ridiculous. When this whole scandal (and yes, it is one) came out that the US was spying on Germany for example, the German politicians were going crazy. I know this because I am from Switzerland and I watch a lot of German TV. Everywhere in Germany, on every channel you could find some politicians angrily stomping on the floor and swearing about these shameless Americans for spying on one of their closest allies. Back then I agreed with them and thought: "Yeah, that's really fucked up". But then, just a few weeks later, it came out that Germany TOO had been spying all the while in France (later it turned out that they had also been spying out the US). Now France was being all sulky about that and saying how shameless Germany is for being all angry at the US first and at the same time spying at France. Well, guess what. A few weeks later it turned out France had been spying Germany as well. All these governments are a bunch of hypocrites. I'm usually very European when it comes to politics and way too lefty for American politics but in this issue I thought America acted very well. Instead of being all hypocritical crybabies about it, they just admitted to Germany and France "yes we spy at you, suck it up" and they also sucked it up themselves when it came out the European countries had spied at them. In my opinion, all these governments of large countries are a conglomerate of selfish people working for their own interests. That's why I'm glad to live in a small country. On the one hand, we don't have any "professional" politicians but instead, all our politicians are laymen (and laywomen) who have a normal job and secondly, our version of the NSA has a financial budget which is so small that they can be happy if they find their colleague's lost wallet.

• I think the EU should stop TTIP negotiations but mostly because I hate that thing.

The US is one of Europe's closest allies and vice versa. We share social, political, economic, military and religious norms (as least compared to the rest of the world). In a world where China is growing, Russia is becoming increasingly aggressive, the Middle East is continuing to tear itself apart, climate change is a growing problem and the economy is stagnating, neither can afford to face all these challenges without the other. Therefore, a trade war between both would be mutually self destructive.

Also, look at the ridiculously aggressive moves Russia has made and there are still some that question the need for sanctions. The US is Ned Flanders by comparison.

That said, the US should try and rebuild the trust lost in it among its closest allies. It needs Europe and vice versa.

• Oh I'm sorry the nation that donates 70% of the U. N's budget, does all the U. N's work (military, diplomaticly, and economically) for them, and bails every sorry ass European country out of debt is at fault here? I personally agree with you U. S should revoke all funding from the U. N and over shores. I personally believe we should let the world tear itself apart while we focus in our own borders. But if we do that then suddleny little pricks will say "Oh, the U. S is so greedy, why don't they give us money, why won't they help us fend off these invaders"

• This has been going on forever they are only throwing shapes because it became public knowledge

• Oh grow the F up.

Do you really think that the European countries, don't spy on the U. S. of A.

• lol - Sanction the US? lol I think that with the greek problems and their impact on the monetary situation and NATO, that the last thing Europe wants at the moment is an uncooperative US..

• No. If so, then America should also sanction other countries.

• It take one country first. 1 think as soon as one steps up and says something then the others would jump on. Americans 100% believe their country doesn't do wrong though and they'll downvote the fuck out of these opinions. Open your eyes. Of course they wouldn't show you their shit to make themselves look bad. View it from another point of view.

• ... Every government is spying on each other in some form or another. They're saving their own skins by not calling the US out on it. We just fudged up and got caught.

• True, but I guess it comes down to the NSA being corrupt. Will anyone HERE actually stand up and fight back before "big brother" takes over?

• Nope. Cause nobody cares. Well, people do care, but "Hey, we get money!" "We get a free (insert item here)? Sure!" "More protection? Alright!". There will be people who try to fight back, but it's the government. A small group of people vs an entire army + all of the secret people they got available. Do you really think the rebels would win?