I'm contemplating buying a Confederate flag?

I'm contemplating buying a Confederate flag, not because I agree with anything they stood for, but because I despise what's being done in protest of it. The news today is that at FREAKING GETTYSBURG, they're pulling anything depicting it. Reenactors can't use it anymore. It's vanishing from everything but a single museum exhibit.

This is going too far. We're censoring our own history out of misguided sensitivity thanks to the actions of rank opportunists capitalizing on a tragedy.

Do you figure it would land me on some kind of government watchlist to do this? That I even have to ask tells me something has gone seriously wrong with this country.

Most Helpful Girl

• I also believe that they are going too far. I don't agree with covering up history. Now they want all land monuments from that war to be removed. Having artifacts to represent the sacrifice that people made during that time because people want to make it all about race is ridiculous. My grandfather is full-blooded Native American. You don't see me throwing fits over the past and things that I never experienced firsthand. If that were the case, I would fight to have the truth about Christpher Columbus revealed and taught in schools since the truth isn't being told. We were taught to celebrate Columbus. Why should I celebrate someone who raped, pillaged and slaughtered MY ancestors? Tit for tat. People are getting out of hand with all this political correctness crap.

• Excellent comment. Though I would say the truth *should* be taught about Columbus, about all of it (and drop the flat-earther BS associated with his voyage while we're at it).

History, warts and all.

• I do agree that it should be taught. It was just an example of people's beahvior. The ones on this land who have the most right to be complaining and making the most demands are the Native Americans. Yet, you hear nothing from them. Their example should be followed. Peace.

What Girls Said 4

• The only reason to buy a Confederate flag is to burn it.

• Yes you would probably end up on the watch list. Getting on their list is quite easy.

• if you want to buy one then just go for it

• there's been plenty of racial driven tragedies and yet there wasn't such a big movement to ban the flag, why is this the reason, what happened to those people is horrible my heart breaks for them, there's history behind that flag , but unfortunately people associate it with hate, racism groups as kkk etc.

What Guys Said 10

• I think pulling it from history books or reenactments is overboard. It is part of history can't change that. It should still be displayed in those cases but it shouldn't be flying on a flag pole of a government building. Also movies that were produced with its reference like Gone with the Wind should be left alone its a movie. It would be like getting rid of the Sound of Music because of the swastika symbols in it.

• I can understand the state buildings thing, but I hate this talk we're seeing about demolishing monuments. It's all the same thing, the purging of history.

• No matter how bad you cannot change the past. I wish people would understand that. There is nothing wrong with it being in civil war games or anything of that nature. Monuments that do not promote a racist or biased view and only remind of the history there shouldn't be a problem with. People are taking this to an extreme and this country will never be perfect but you cannot just erase a huge part of history because you don't like it.

• I Have one of those

• I would hope it does more than land you on a watch list. Racist cops are killing African Americans left and right and you want more of it. Sick.

• Odd. That gal who took it down on CNN this morning didn't start immediately dropping N-bombs as a side effect of having touched it. It's almost as though it isn't inherently racist.

Did you perhaps not bother to read what I wrote above? I'm doing this in protest of the censorship of our own history by people like you.

• Whatever dude. Enjoy your flag. Just block me already.

• Funny thing: I don't feel threatened by people who disagree with me, nor do I feel the desire to see them destroyed as your original post suggests you do. The cost of living in a free society is tolerating disagreement. You should try it once in a while.

• I think they can only control public property - You can fly it on your own private property if you want

• As a man of color, I believe that the rebel flag should be shown in civil war (movies/games) and civil rights reasons.

• Don't stress. You'll still be able to buy confederate flags. They sell them all over Europe ever since the Neo Nazis adopted it as a replacement for the swastika.

• Everyone assumes I'm a racist... *sigh*

I'm not even a southerner.

• I'm not assuming you're a racist at all.
      I'm just saying that as long as there are white racists around, you won't have to worry about not being able to buy a confederate flag.

• Sounds a bit hip.

• Reenactors, museums and monuments should be allowed to keep it.
    But not for personal use. Kinda like allowing people to possess a swastika flag.

• I just bought one because leftists wanna censor it.

• Pretty much the idea, yeah. I'd have no interest in doing so if it weren't for what they're doing right now.

• Now, all items about Confederate Flag are removed.

• No it won't and those flags will be around for ever. Look at the nazi flag, u can get one easy.