How come Earth doesn't have a ring orbiting around it like Jupiter or Saturn?

It would have been an orgasmic sight from the surface of the Earth.

Most Helpful Girl

• Apparently there's a theory about the rings of Saturn to have once been part of a moon and as it came too close it was ripped apart by tidal forces. So if you believe that theory you could argue that our moon is too far away for such a ring to develop.
    But you know those rings consist of asteroids so we all should be rather happy they don't orbit around Earth with several of them crashing into our planet every day.. it doesn't bother Saturn because it's Gas planet but I don't think life on Earth could exist much longer with a ring like that. The rings of Jupiter are not visible by the way

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• How about Mercury, Venus, and Mars? Why should earth only have them too?

And all of the giant planets have rings including Neptune and Uranus...

• Yo astroman @rthomas43 esplain.

What Guys Said 6

• Basically the Earth is too small to have rings. Larger planets have rings because they have stronger gravity. You may want to search "origin of Saturn's rings" for a more detailed explanation.

• Because the Earth is not a gas giant. We should be glad that Jupiter takes them off course so it doesn't crash into us.

• I think it is something to do with gas that is as far as my knowledge of astronomy stretches

• Those are debris fields of asteroids I wouldn't want that floating around my planet lol

• Due to earth's gravity I guess

• The Earth has an antiproton ring.