What does fishing for likes mean?

I saw someone right that on Facebook, what does it mean?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's usually said when someone posts a photo or status that might come across as bragging. Example: Some girls post pictures of themselves saying they look bad or ugly but meanwhile everybody can see it's a good picture. So they just want people to tell them they are wrong and that they are beautiful. I think same can be said for people who post things about having flashy things.

What Girls Said 1

• It means they're being an attention whore

What Guys Said 6

• It sounds fishing for compliments - Saying you look terrible and wanting people to like you and say you look great

• Fishing... people want to catch fish...
    Here it's the same... but instead they don't aim for fish but on 'likes'
    Aka Attention seekers

• It means posting things with the intention of getting a lot of likes on it

• It means you're either pandering to a specific world view for comment likes/facebook likes, or you're being self-deprecating/self-defeating in the hopes of getting likes on your status.

• It is the same thing as trolling. They just want attention which on Facebook means likes.

• People posting on Facebook with the sole purpose of receiving "likes" from other users.