Is it possible to get a counsellor/therapist without parents knowing?

I think I'm depressed but my parents said there's nothing wrong with me, but I don't want to possibly get worse so I want to see if I can secretly meet with a counsellor without them knowing. Is that possible? I was thinking it might be illegal because I'm still a minor. Does anyone here know?

Most Helpful Girl

• This may depend on where you live.

• If you feel comfortable disclosing your location, I may be able to give you a more specific answer.

Otherwise, I would recommend talking to an adult that you trust. My first recommendation would be your school counselor, but since it is summer, that might not be a viable option. Another option would be to talk to your doctor. These are both people who would be able to answer any questions you have and to give you a referral to a counselor or therapist. (Although, depending on where you live, there may be costs associated with seeing a doctor. I don't know much about how it works in say, the US, since I am from Canada personally, where seeing a doctor is free). You could also look online to see if there is a teen or youth health centre in your city. These are health clinics geared towards young people, and they may offer counselling services. If you find one, give them a call so you can inquire about their services and about whether or not you need your parent's consent or if you need

• to notify them that you are seeing a counselor.

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 3

• I am not sure of the rules but I would research teen depression on the net and look for advice sites in your country then you can contact them with your queries.

• Ummm normaly there should be a profesional in your school, when you are teenager its so normal to feel like that, but still, if not just ask here all the question and try to feel better n. n

• Talk to the counselor at your school and they can help you.

What Girls Said 1

• You can try it at school, request them not to tell your parents. If you do it outside school, you'll be required to pay with each session, so I guess they'll wonder where you're spending those money. It would be nice though if they support you, it helps with the situation.