Why isn't evolution exponentially increasing our intelligence? And why such a wide gap between extraordinarily intelligent people & lower IQ's?

No offense, of course, to anyone on this site. Some days at work, I just feel like I am literally surrounded by idiots.

My question is, biologically speaking, why do you all think people don't develop a higher number of functioning brain cells over time? I know inscuteable proteins, glial glue, and billions of neurons from dividing stem cells all play a part, but research basically just shows that we are more intelligent than other mammals, not that we are getting any smarter over time. Is evolution just so slow that it's indiscernible, or are humans done developing intelligence?

• We ARE getting more intelligent over time
    22% (2)31% (5)28% (7)Vote
  • Poor breeding contributes to lower IQ's
    33% (3)38% (6)36% (9)Vote
  • Environmental factors are at play
    33% (3)12% (2)20% (5)Vote
  • Asker just needs to find a new job! :)
    12% (1)19% (3)16% (4)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
4|15

Most Helpful Guy

• Evolution = random mutation + natural selection

First of all these mutations take thousands of years. Then, whoever is more adapted to his environment gets to reproduce and survive. Those with the advantageous mutation do, and the useless mutation dies.

In our society, it's pretty clear that fucking morons can reproduce without any problems. So they're not about to disappear any time soon.

On the top of that, the IQ is not intelligence, it's your potential. Just like genetics and body building. You could have great genetics but if you never went to a gym... you will still look like a fat fuck.

So people may have a high IQ but poor education and still sound like drooling idiots.

voila :)

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Evolution rewards reproductive success, full stop. If stupid people reproduce in greater numbers, they win. There is no guiding hand selecting the breeding pairs within our species.

3|3
    0|0
  • It's because human beings are regressing
    We aren't getting smarter, we just know more things

We have the whole world at our finger tips, and we can obtain so much knowledge, but knowledge is useless without practice

I know how to ride a bike, you get on, turn the pedals with your feet and maintain balance

But I have never ridden a bike and therefor I don't really understand what it means to ride a bike

There is much knowledge now days but very little understanding

There are powers out there that want to control all the undesirable people by keeping us ignorant

1|1
    0|0
  • With advances in medicine, we keep everyone alive no matter what. We are thus working around evolution.

2|1
    0|0
  • There are 3 conditions for selection on a genetic trait (e. g. intelligence) to occur. 1) There must be a pressure to increase intelligence. 2) Intelligence must be a genetic trait. 3) The pressure to increase intelligence needs to be around long enough for the new 'smart' gene to stick to the whole population and the 'dumb' genes need to be weeded out.

There is pressure to select intelligence but it's really mild. Smart people tend to be more successful than average people. However, the smart guys aren't breeding more than anyone else so you don't see smart people populate the whole planet.

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted B), intelligence is genetic, but only the poor are procreating rapidly. The smart try to wait until they can afford and provide for children. The unintelligent just has sex with whomever they find and they have kids each time as they don't bother with or cannot afford or reject birth control. Unfortunately, the Zerg mentality dominates in this regard.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a proven fact stupid people have more kids than smart people. So we're actually getting stupider over time. The reason our technology is improving is because a few smart people in each generation gradually improve on the work of a few smart people from the last generation. But make no mistake, we're getting weaker, stupider, and more prone to disease. Everything will turn to shit eventually, you will when you die and become worm food. It's the law of entropy. Contrary to the theory of evolution things don't get better, they get progressively shittier over time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe option D - Option C could be a factor in people being dumbed down (TV etc ) - Option A we are no more intelligent than previous generations there is just more academic stimulus and I don't think Option B a factor.

0|0
    0|0
  • We are devolving! The factors that favored intelligence in evolution are no longer in play. With a world where anyone can acquire the means to survive, evolution favors those who start having babies early, and have a lot of them. Which means that those who stay in school a long time to achieve professions, and are presumably smarter than average, are now at an evolutionary disadvantage.

1|0
    0|1
  • In modern society there is no positive link between intelligence and number of offspring. Consequently there is no evolutionary pressure to increase IQ.

0|0
    0|0
  • Choice, no one is forced to grow their intelligence, and many prefer fun to improving their self.

0|0
    0|0
  • Option B because intelligent people are more likely to realize that there are many reasons to not have children.

2|0
    0|0
  • natural selection usually occurs in spurts in response to changes in the environment. (aka punctuated equilibrium.) many species remain unchanged for millions of years. Turtles for example aren't much different than they were in the dinosaur days.

Unless there is selective pressure from the environment that favors intelligence, which is unlikely given modern society's control over those pressures, and stupid people continue to breed, it's unlikely humans will become smarter.

0|0
    0|0
  • That should be the case if evolution was true but I don't think it is other wise humans would have things like wings for easier survival

0|0
    1|1
  • Evolution doesn't make things better like that. When you aren't intelligent, you can still have kids and those kids will not be intelligent (in likelihood) and there you go. We developed intelligence because when we discovered fire and cooked food, we got so much excess energy that some of it went into fuelling brain growth.
    It's being looked into by a lot of technology/science research companies though, so there's hope for artificial ways to increase intelligence.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Who has more kids, the dumb teens who don't know what contraceptives are and get pregnant at16 or the intellectuals who have a single child at 40?

Also, evolution isn't working because survival of the fittest only works when people actually die from being dumber.

I have to say we are still getting educated more abd more compared to before, we know smoking isn't healthy, pot surprisingly is, gay equality, eating healthy etc... Then again whether or not we know these things have nothing to do with actually implementing them

2|1
    0|0
  • Did you know that they keep readjusting the IQ parameters? People are getting smarter on average.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people are getting dumber because living standards are rising and life is becoming easier and easier for most people. As life becomes easier for people - people become lazier.

0|0
    0|0
  • watch "Idiocracy", that will answer your question^^

0|0
    0|1
    • Except that it's not true. People today are more intelligent than people hundreds of years ago, not just more knowledgeable.