What's more stressful college or the real world?

I'm the definition of a poor college student and I can't imagine life being much harder than it is now. All I have is my youth while trying balance working to pay rent, tuition, books, and feed myself with school. I was talking to a coworker where I work and she told me college was the hardest part of her life and that working a 9 to 5 having money is easier. Then when I tell other people this they laugh and say the working world is so hard and these little struggles are nothing. I don't hate college in fact I love partying and nothing like the 2 dollar drinks and downtown life every Thursday and Saturday after work and class to destress. But if college is easier than a real job and family I might just give up now and be a screw up cause I'm scared.

Most Helpful Guy

• The real world hands down. College is a different type of difficult. In the real world you have a lot more you can do to fix things but you have a lot more that can go wrong.

• This sucks lol I love the people, the hangouts, and all the hot girls but I want some money. I lived on pb and J for 3 months cause its all i could afford and I still struggled to afford that. I'm tired of sipping on 3 dollar bottles of rum just to get a buzz to go out. Im 21 and can't even do the bar hopping scene cause I can't afford a drink.

• If you have a good GPA and get with a professor with a lot of funding that is already secured for the next several years, that is the key, you will be fine. Also, the schools that you visit make sure to get a few of the graduate or undergrad students pulled to the side and ask them about the professors. I know I had some that were horrific and I steered several potential graduate students away from those professors.

• Thank you for MHO!! :D

What Girls Said 4

• Broke college student? But I think it's more stressful to be a genuinely poor college student vs one that mom and dad aren't giving loads of money to. There's a difference in having a plan to fall back on and not having the money to fail. I'm not saying that you are one or the other, but I am saying there's a real discrepancy in stress.

That being said, I'm in college too. College can be what you want it to be, but this is only true to an extent. With a full course load of difficult classes, even the brightest is bound to get bogged down in assignments. I'm currently studying to become a vet, so school isn't terrible. But sometimes during the semester the stars align in just that special way so that everything important is due in the same week. Next semester will be more difficult because I'm taking 3 science courses on top of a labor intensive techniques class, but I will survive. Now, vet school is way more hard. It's living and breathing and demonstrating everything.

I think vet school is more stressful than the average person's life.

That being said, some people have it really rough and must work really hard to provide for kids, husbands/wives, or sick parents. In those cases, it's more than a grade or rent (which I also have to pay for) but it's someone's quality of life, if they go hungry or not, if they are cold or not.

So, I'm going to say this is definitely more stressful than that, because everyone's experience is different and there are millions of people going through the most stressful times in their lives.

• I think college is more stressful. For my Judaism course, we had to memorize 60 pages every semester and for my introduction to religious studies course, I had to memorize 200 pages every 4 months. For my introduction to psychology course, I had to memorize 300 pages.

• The real world by far

• Well f that I might be a stay at home screw up cause I hate the constant stress of debt building and there nothing I can do.

• The real world is more stressful for me, but college has its moments. Work is more more difficult than school - and I was in the honors program. I kind of fizzled in the starting a family department, so I sit at home when I once had dozens of friends.

But other people say they're a really good fit in their job and enjoy it. They meet their spouses and have rich relationships, have kids - which is stressful but super rewarding and other things that are very fulfilling.

I'm a bad example because I have some other issues, but I will say to start making effort now to really figuring out what you find fulfilling and satisfying and working to maintain it instead of just letting life push you where it will.

• Well I don't know if I succeeded in the whole family life yet I'm 21 and have no intentions to settle down and be with one girl but I do know it would be cool to have some spending money to go to a bar or treat myself to a decent meal.

• It is bit its so much school whumich makes me sad.

• Just keep your eye on the prize. :)

What Guys Said 7

• It depends on what you go into an what you studied I suppose. I am a liberal arts student, getting my masters in history, I intend to be a teacher. I have sailed right through university, no problems at all. I think teaching will be incredibly hard and stressful by comparison. plus, real problems and no more blankets to fall on to.

• I feel like it all depends on what you do in the future and what your situation is like. I work in accounts payable/receivable, I graduated with a BA in accounting. I have to say, these past couple of years out of college have probably been the easiest in my life. Yeah sure, I can't go out during the week as much and I have a more rigid schedule, but my job is way easy and I have a very low cost of living for a pretty good apartment. I'm sure it'll get harder down the road, but the point is maybe if I had a tougher job I would say college was easier.

• I think the real world but having money is a big bonus

• The real world.

• Real world with out a doubt.

• Screw that lol I may be a jobless hippy (jk of course) cause all I want is a stable and significant Income to get me out of debt.

• College because it's also the real world. You get into debt. Your credit score gets affected. You have to do everything in real life as well as do well on your classes. I say college is harder.

• Many college kids have poor parents so they get aid so its debatable on individual cases but in my case my family makes a lot of mkney but doesn't believe in helping me cause I need to have my own way. Which is understandable.

• The real world indeed