Has anyone else noticed how often white people are the (main) protagonists on TV?

Like, in movies, TV shows and the news. In most cases for movies, non-white protagonist (s) are played by white characters for the sake of keeping the protagonist (s) white (Avatar: The Last Airbender, for example). However, when a white protagonist is played by a non-white character, people lose their shit (Annie- 2015, for example). More often than not in older movies (Less often now, I think), you'll find that it's blonde-haired, blue-eyed white women as the "damsel in distress".. Weren't the Nazis pretty crazy about blonde haired, blue-eyed white people? Something about Aryans? Hmmm..
What's your opinion on this?

• Yeah.. now that you mention it..
  • Yeah, I've noticed too!
  • No, I don't know what you're talking about..
  • Bullshit! You're anti-white! Reverse Racism exists!!
To the idiots that voted "reverse racism exists".. RoflLmfao

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. But It's getting better. Way more minorities make it onscreen than ever before.

• True, but as the sidekick or the villain. Maybe a token PoC protagonist

Most Helpful Guy

• lol Some people don't like to be told about white privilege. They get their panties in a bunch, as proven even on these comments and others all over the internet. You present them tangible evidence, and they just scoff and dismiss it. You go to a country like South Africa, where whites are significant but a minority, and compared to the population whites are over-represented in the media. You even go to Mexico and other Latin American countries and you see more white-ish people dominating the media, despite being a minority. There was some data released about ebay sales, and how the color of the hand in the product images affected the sale price. There was an experiment that showed black sounding names on resumes got less callbacks than white sounding names. The list goes on and on, but it makes no difference to the people hellbent on believing race isn't a factor for anything.

• You're so right. The most common excuse is "we have a black president so racism is over" and it's just so stressful explaining to them.. Thanks for your opinion

What Girls Said 4

• Wow, really?

White people play most of roles in a predominantly white society?

i2.kym-cdn.com/.../...31a592af806925e57258202f.png

• I'm sorry but this is so dumb ~ of course actors are mostly white in America and Europe and why is that? Because majority of the people in those countries are white. If you wanna watch TV with mainly black actors you should move to Africa, most actors there are black because most people are black. However if you move to Asia you will be surprised to find most actors being Asian OMG what a mystery right?

• You're missing the point.
      Why are white people always the protagonist? Why are PoC usually the villian? or the sidekick? or the extra? Why are non-white protagonists in books becoming the white protagonist in movies? While the antagonist is turned darker.

• I'm not in denial I'm simply not bothering to answer you anymore because all I get back is you telling me to go and shoot some random innocent people at a school or mall (I don't even own a gun?) - by the way being prejudiced against someone of another race is indeed the definition of racism if you want it to be or not

• "Those people you are talking about that are "racist" are in fact prejudiced and/or discriminatory." Racism literally means discrimination against a certain race. I read some of the articles. They are posted by random people on the internet that I don't agree with. That's just like saying that sexism only affects one gender. I also don't like the term "reverse racism". Racism is racism, no matter who it's against.

• It's exceedingly common. Hollywood is run and owned by rich white Jewish men and the content they are interested in creating is predominantly with white characters.

• Oh my and has anyone else noticed how we all have the same size graves at the end of all this?

We're all the same inside, be humble dude, life's way too short

What Guys Said 16

• Well, given that the majority of the population in the countries those movies are made is white, I say it's nothing to be surprised of. Also when it comes to books, the authors tend to create the main character as the same race they are.

I doubt that most movie in Bollywood have the main character as white.

• You're not seriously affiliating modern TV with the Nazi's Waffen SS over the basis of Blonde hair and blue eyes are you? xD. How stupid are you? Haha.

You know, There were actually so few blonde hair + blue eyes + tall people in Germany, that the SS actually had to recruit from Denmark / Norway xD

• Hey, I'm just noticing a link. I don't know if they're truly connected but it's weird how it's blonde-hair, blue eyes as the sign of beuty in movies, right?

• I know the type of person you are,
      I mean, You are sitting here, Giving all the ''white supremacy'' bulshit and making up complete horseshit and you completely fail to accept anything that dosen't agree with your own opinion, Heck, You even made the MHO someone who just flat out agreed with white supremacy and agreed with all your points...
      There is no point even talking to people like you. No matter what i say, Or what evidence i can provide, You will never change your opinion on the subject.
      Have a nice day.

• Okay, Mr. Psychologist of the year.
      Lol, you are exactly the person you just described. A bigot. Now you're mad that you just lost an argument lmfao.
      Au revoir!

• Well, in response to the reverse racism, it doesn't exist because its not an actual term, its just racisim, claiming reverse racism is saying one race invented it and your just reciprocating which itself is racist. as for your link to what apparently is the black section of the huffington post (I don't think they have a white section) it was also completely irrelevent. The huns (asians/mongolians) invaded Europe and enslaved the people there. Ther turks and the muslims invaded and whent to war and enslaved the people there. Africans sold Africans to the europeans and in fact had practicly invented the slave trade along side the middl easterners before the nothern europeans ever partook in it to any significant scale (enviroment didn't allow for mass aggriculture that could support slavery as other parts of the world, not that they didn't have it just not to the extent of other places and time periods) it also refuses to acknowledge that europeans where the last people to get into slavery (as it pertained to the established slave trade) as well as being the first to abolish it. So historicly speaking incredibly inaccurate (there actually where parts of the middle east that allowed slavery all the way up until the 70s) So overall yeah pretty racist, at least learn some history before you start spouting off stupid remarks. Your link was to some comdian, here's one from a man with a doctorit and is a proffessor at stanford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IJV_0p64s
    As for the actors, well whites in america make up 70% + of the pupulation so that is part of it and as such tend to also be the writers and creators of stories, they tend to see a piece of themselves in the work and therefore tend to have characters they can relate to, if you don't live in africa or the ghetto of chicago, or the middle east etc, then its a bit harder to relate to that and write about it so they tend to be focused on caucasian culture so as not to have to worry about misrepresentation.

• Has anyone ever noticed that there's not a single mixed mexican/japanese gay transgender feminist disabled transracial muslim communist character in any movie?

That's just unacceptable.

• well yea all the time and usually the black person dies

• Considering most movies/showd are made in Europe , America and Canada it makes sense that most main characters would be white. Since most of the population is white as for stuff like Annie well it's messed up to mess with classics like that, in my opinion, I've got nothing against black actors though I can name a lot of good movies with a black main character.

• Stop looking at everything in terms of race.

• yes I've noticed this but it's definitely not surprising.

• the racial chip on your shoulder is funny.

• I have noticed that over the years alright

• yes, most of them are white, but its a predominantly white society after all.

• Well to make it clear.. Hitler was an idiot. Aryans are actually warriors from India. He stole the Hindu sign too and added 4 dots and made it the Nazis symbol. In reality Aryans were Indian warriors, light brown colored with long black hair and brown eyes.

Hitler was screwed in the head, so he changed things up to create something for his own agenda.

As for your topic, yeah I was thinking the same thing a week ago. I was writing a script and thinking why does everyone create a white main character. Why can't the character be Indian, or Asian?

So I created a few characters from different races. Funny enough there is only 1 white character in the script I wrote that's part of the main characters team. Though I got nothing against white people. I think a lot of white people are also sick of seeing white people in movies all the time. They also want a change to see DIFFERENT types of people.

Let's face it not every true story has a white couple. Sometimes it's mixed, and sometimes it's totally different.

• Exactly my point. Also, thanks for pointing out that thing about hitler

• The best thing a movie can do to make money is make the main character relatable so subconsciously the viewers can merge the main character and themselves as one person. Since the 'majority' is considered white, the main character being white could be a reason for this.

• Are all those shows on univision racist cuz they don't have white people in them? or all the korean dramas that have nothing but koreans in them? those racist bastards.

quit viewing the world the lens of race. it's total bullshit and we have a black president for christ's sake so get over it.

• I know right. He doesn't complain about how all the "Telenovelas" have Mexican characters and no whites, OR blacks in them. How racist are those people! xD

• True, the movies are made in a predominantly white country, so it would make sense, right? Well, explain why darker skinned characters in books or whatever, having white skin on screen instead?
      Also, just having a black president doesn't cure the world of racism, are you really that slow? He still experiences racism as a president..

• And why are white people almost always the main protagonists, while the PoC might be an antagonist or a token sidekick.

• Or you make a movie about Egypt without a single Egyptian, or anyone middle eastern or black

• Your just as guilty as anyone. Maybe one day you'll see just people instead of searching for race topics to get upset about