Do you get offended when people use the word 'Gay' to describe something they dislike?

Like instead of saying 'that sucks!' they say 'that's gay!'

Are you offended?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't get offended but I try not to say it because I know someone else could get pissed. It's not that I care if I offended someone, it's just that I hate unessesary drama. The way I see it is its easier to remove the word from my vocabulary than it is to deal with drama from people who get offended by it.

So I usually just say "this sucks, or this blows"

What Girls Said 11

• I don’t particularly find it offensive but I think it makes them look stupid, small-minded, and slightly pathetic like they have a pitifully limited vocabulary span. It’s no different than using the word ‘retarded’ to describe something viewed as silly or stupid. Using socially marginalized groups to replace adjectives describing negative emotions is disgusting and ugly.

• The Wanda Sikes commercials were helping get the point across, to the less dense at least.

As a kid, I use to say that. Then I grew up and understood that that wasn't a considerate thing to say. There are loads of words out there that are connotative of bad.

So, I'm not offended, I just wish some people would be more conscientious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

• I'm not offended, but I do think it's stupid.

• Not offended just very irritated. It's simple English and they use it like they have no idea what the word really means.

• It's amazing that people automatically assume that "gay" is a negative term. There are multiple meanings to the word. People need to stop being so sensitive and getting butt hurt over everything.

Gay: to be happy, lighthearted or carefree. To be lesbian, homosexual or queer. To be foolish, stupid or unimpressive.

• It's just annoying

• Yeah, even though I'm not gay. When they say for example 'that movie is so gay!" They're saying it like it's a bad thing.

• not at all.

• When I was younger, I used to say it, but then the point was made to me that you're only ever using that to describe something as being negative. There are real gay people, with real feelings, and if you find yourself catching yourself or apologizing in front of gay people, when you say it, then you should know, that it does mean something, and not something good rather then, oh, its just a phrase I use.

• Oh God, I should ask the same question. I say it all the time but I don't mean anything bad by it and I def don't think of the actual gay people when I say it. Its just an expression to me of something I guess more soft and feminine lol but I guess I'm aware of the whole concept, so I have to stop myself from saying it out loud, or infront of people I don't know, but unfortunately sometimes it just comes out. You think I'm a bad person?

• I don't take it personally since I'm not gay but if someone does that I do get upset at them

What Guys Said 9

• Nope.

I say shit is gay all the time. People can use whatever word they want to describe something. I'm not gonna change what I say for you, just cause it makes you uncomfortable.

• Nope cause I use gay like that, but you know what's gay? When I called something that sucks gay and that one person nearby is all like, "gay means homosexual, how is that movie being censored homosexual?" Like shut the fuck up! You know what I meant..

• It is a childish insult but would prefer if it wasn't used that way

• Not really; it doesn't really bother me

• tends to not bother me that much tbh

• nope not at all

• no, i don't.

• No, it just go right over my head. I don't think about it at all.

• Not really. Some people are just over sensitive!