Emotional Bond With Fictional Characters?

I have this stupid problem. When a fictional character I like in a movie or a book dies I get this weird cramps in my stomach and I cry my heart out like I've seriously lost someone I love in real life.

I know they're not real but I don't have much friends in real life and fictional world is all I have. How can I get over this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly you just mightn't be able to, it's just part of your character. I'm probably on the opposite, I don't relate and I don't bond with many characters in anything so when something happens that people get emotional over i'm just indifferent to it all.

What Guys Said 8

• That's really weird, but I'm not sure if there is anything we can do to help you with this. You probably got attached with the characters in the book and hence why you feel that way

• Well I don't think it bad once in a while being in touch with your feelings, if you like those characters it is probably more than anything that you are able to relate to them. The best thing you can do is go out with friends more and just get out more in general, but don't worry about it to much unless you start living in your own little world its not really that unhealthy

• When I was growing up, I had a crush on the character Karana from the book Island of the Blue Dolphins.

I have read Island of the Blue Dolphins to my students every year for the past 18 years. I *still* get choked up when Rontu (Karana's dog) dies.

There's nothing wrong with being emotionally bound to fictional characters. That's most of the charm of reading, and it shows the author has done his/her job. However, if you feel this is interfering with real life, then perhaps you could take steps to curtail it. I think you would agree it's better to laugh and cry about real people than fictional ones.

Perhaps it's best to widen your circle of friends and acquaintances. Join groups and organizations that you have common interests with, where you'll likely meet like minded people. Perhaps a literature club. Then you can develop more friendships and hopefully laugh and cry with them.

• I get a bit like that - Maybe try and get out more, meet new people, join a sports team, a class or a hobby group

• I know man. Them feels. -cries like a bitch every time I watch cartoons-

• Wow you're taking that to heart and it's affecting you emotionally
    you want try taking time off from them sites with fictional characters..

• getting a life would be your best bet

• Can i mean u HAWT anime guy baby ;3

What Girls Said 5

• That doesn’t sound healthy AT ALL :/
    No offense girl, but it sounds like you seriously need to get a social life and develop real friendships where the other person can actually interact with you and grow with you.

• It's not that uncommon, really, for introverts to feel this way. The best thing is to try and make more real life friends so you're not lost in fiction as often.

• Thats normal for most anime nerds like me. I was sad when L died, and now I'm sad because Jon Snow is dead :/ . Also I would suggest talking more and joining a club or something to get more friends. But yeah its normal to be sad to a certain point when your favorite character dies

• Lol me too! And I love that because it means that movie or book truly touched me.

• This is normal and is a sign of a good book. Embrace the emotions and keep on fangirling