Is it unusual that knowing somebody cares makes me feel better than any type of professional help?

I've been hurt by a breakup and people called me an alcoholic and I admit I was drinking way too much. Well people encouraged me to drink more and it didn't work to solve the issue obviously. I should have gotten myself in the mindset to go to AA cause I knew i had a problem. I didn't and it wasn't until a nice girl I worked with and talk to a lot from where we used to work and became decent friends told me last week when she returned after a year that I don't look good. She did something noone else did by asking what's wrong and she mentioned I just look sad. It felt good to know someone finally took it into their own hands to help me rather than jokingly tell to drink more. I never experienced this before.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's the best help you could get. The professionals don't care about you, they just care about helping you enough to get paid. Knowing someone truly cares about you and wants to help you for your own good and not their own is a feeling like no other. My advice is to hang on to that and try your best to keep her around as long as she cares.

• Well it just felt like my life mattered and some one understood me. It wasn't your an alcoholic or the knly way to help it is to get plastered more. she actually cares enough to let me talk and get it out.

• That's great. Absolutely wonderful. Keep in touch with her.

• Thanks!

What Girls Said 2

• yes it works for most people

• It's a false sense of security and the first time something goes wrong you'll crumble. Nobody can fix you problems with alcohol but you and hard work.

• Well true but its been 2 weeks since she asked me what was wrong and i haven't touched a drink since cause I think I felt like no one cared so why would I care about myself. It's a weird feeling.

What Guys Said 2

• Do you like her or is she just a friend?

• Well she's attractive but she's older so more of a friend. Women don't date younger guys. You don't see 24 y/o women with 21-22 year old men.

• I was checking in case you became too attached to her - I would still consider getting help but it is good she has started you off a good path

• That's the most natural thing in the world. Though not a substitute for professional help.