Why do people smirk or laugh when they see mentally- ill people in public?

Why do you think it happens?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not sure about other people, but this is my reason

It's not the mental illness itself that I sometimes find humorous, it's the actions/mannerisms.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I obviously can't speak for other people, but I don't openly mock them. It's just actions and gestures that sometimes get to me.

Because some of the actions are so abnormal and socially out of line, that it triggers that sense of humor in me.

If a mentally healthy person did something similar, I'd find it funny.

This probably sounds like a bs excuse to be an asshole, but oh well, that's my take on it.

• Fair enough !! Appreciate your honesty bro ;)

What Girls Said 4

• I don't know but it's sick. My mother works for mentally ill people so I was taught at a young age that it's just like any other disease out there and very serious. There's this girl at my school who I believe has Aspergers Syndrome and people, even teachers, tend to be more rude towards her. Thank God there's this one girl (who's actually quite popular) who stuck up for her several times. Anyways to answer your question they just don't take it seriously I suppose.

• Thanks :) It's really painful to hear this sort of stuff. I have noticed people smirking, giggling and laughing at mentally ill people :(

• Umm... I don't really think so. I mean I suppose some people might but a lot of people laugh at them out of them being rude and just thinking "Oh wow he's retarded!"

• True !!

• Their own sense of pride, of arrogance, maybe even their sense of twisted humour in finding entertainment in mocking others who may not have the abilities that they have.

• Thanks :) It's really annoying people are so stuck-up nowadays :(

• I don't do that or know anyone that does that.

• Thanks :) That's very nice of u !! But unfortunately there a lot of people out there who are cruel :(

• Yeah, that's true. It's sad.

• They're immature and have bad home training. The same guys who are laughing are probably also bullies to normal people in everyday life.

I never laugh, I honestly can't see anything funny about someone who possibly could have a disability that mentally impaired them, experienced something like war, rape, abuse or has a previous drug problem that tolled them mentally

• Thanks :) I have noticed with psychotic patients , people react so nervous around them and start to cough and laugh/giggle nervously around them or even smirk.

What you said is a very likely reason for this !!

• I won't lie I get nervous sometimes but I just simply move if they make me that uncomfortable.

I don't know if that make me any better or worse than the people who stay and make fun with them.

• I think getting nervous is different :)

What Guys Said 9

• I don't I think it's sad

• Nice of you, brother :)

• I think immaturity

• Well said !! Thanks :)

• Because their parents did a shitty job raising them and they're assholes. It's just wrong and uncalled for to mock mentally disabled people

• A very high possibility !! Thanks bro :)

• Maybe they don't fully understand it and the only way they can make sense of what's happening is through humour.

• Possible !! Thanks bro :)

• It takes more than just "seeing" most of the time. If someone is doing something they might get laughed at for, it doesn't matter if they're retarded or not.

• Fair enough !! There was another brother who had a similar view as you. Thanks bro ;)

• Cuz they are mindfawked from what they see 😘

• its because they're American.

• Haha :p Ignorant !!

• Ignorant American !! Thanks :)

• Assholes. Too many of them.

• Thanks bro :) Unfortunately the world has a lot of them :(

• They probably feel better to them in comparison.