Why religion still exists?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because people are God wired from birth to believe in God until indoctrinated out of it. I've found most people tend to convert to atheism in their adolescents before their brain and philosophy manages to develop. So a point to highlight is one takes a philosophically perspective more seriously.

I could equally ask a more valid question of how anyone can be atheist rationally. If atheism is true, it undermines reason and logic. Reason relies on free will, a rationally and objectively free possibility. Something that our studies on evolution tends to contradict. As Dawkins puts it "you're nothing more than a random collection of molecules dancing to the tune of your DNA". We have no rational basis to believe in reason, scientism (know the difference from science) and science tends to contradict naturalism so atheism by it's very own worldview doesn't make sense

What Girls Said 7

• because people still believe and it is part of tradition and culture

• Why would it not? Little has changed in the past four thousand years.

• Because people are entitled to their own beliefs

• Because people need something to believe in

• Because if it didn't, the people of earth would find something similar to religion that can also start the majority of wars around the world.

• Because people want to exist after death, they want to pursue the fairy-tales, gifts and promises, because it makes them happy. People searching for happiness or higher power for their protection from this world corruption. Also religion is a tool or weapon for keep some people in power and others out...

• Nobody knows.

What Guys Said 21

• Cause we haven't solved the 3 great mysteries that most religions usually base themselves off of.

1 - How the universe was created.

2 - What actually happens to us after we die.

3 - What is our purpose in life.

The day we can answer all 3 of these questions with complete, 100 percent certainty and proven evidence, is the day religion will most likely die. And that ain't happening anytime soon.

• Because the majority of people are desperate for obedience. Freeing the mind can be extremely dangerous, so even if religions were to disappear all of a sudden, some other dogmatic ideology would replace them in no time. People like the idea of having all the answers, it helps them convince themselves that everything they think and do is always right. Religious people feel sorry for the ones who aren't following their religion. They are constantly hoping for us to find the enlightenment they have found. They are nice like that, but so are the ones who believe in honor, absolute justice, human rights, etc...

• because billions of people want to believe in a greater power. they want to know that life isn't meaningless but that there is some end game (like heaven or hell)

• Atheists are extremely arrogant for the most part to think they know god isn't real.. I would know because I was one for years, science is not all knowing and they can't prove anything 100%, it's all educated guesses and doesn't explain how the universe was actually started, for this reason and the fact I had an experience one night when I was depressed and lost, I became a christian again and feel much better about myself. Evil is real in both humans and spiritual beings, and I'd rather be surrounded by light then be left out in the darkness. It's hard to explain faith but that's why it's called faith, it's like sitting by a telephone hoping it will ring, but knowing deep down it will.

• Because a bunch of people feel like their "faith" (belief with no fact nor proof but zealous emotion) is the only thing that makes them valuable as a person, so they don't even want to imagine not feeling like being on a higher horse.

• because people are sheeps and don't know how to think for themselves.

Logical answer is because they were born into religion and therefore it becomes part of them.

• Because bad habits die hard.

• Because you touch yourself at night, teehee.

• As long as people believe there will be a place for it

• A lot of reasons but the one I think is very important. People have, are and will always be afraid of the unknown. We like to know whats gonna happen and when it's gonna happen so we need something to explain it all. Another reason is that people don't have enough faith in themselves so they need something else to draw faith from, God. I'm not a religious person nor do I believe in God, but I acknowledge the fact that religion can be detrimental or beneficial. People can feel powerless so they need something that could give them "power" and "protect" them (that can be good). People also use religion to bully and hurt people then to put themselves above others (that is bad). People will probably always feel this way which is why religion continues to exist.

• Because people can believe whatever the hell they want

• People need faith i guess. Living life thinking that you have a reason to be here and that your going to heaven after you die is really nice. I widh i could beleive that.

• Who knows? who cares?

• Because people still exist.

• While exists retards religion will exist

• I converted back to Christianity after talking to numerous internet atheists.

• Because we all die and meet God.

• Because atheism is a faith also. You have to take it by faith that there is no god. Dont argue science, because you can't use materialism to prove something non materialistic. Note big bang models etc. Everything is just a mathematical theory of how it was suppose to happen. There is way to much discrepancy among cosmologists. Some of the theories are so wacked out that it would be more rational to believe in God. I am a scientists have been dealing with this issue for many years. Most scientists that iam around, chemists mostly, are agnostics. Atheism is a faith.

• Because there are followers.

• Because it is a natural phenomenon.

• Bc people believe in it. If anyone thinks that ANY religion is going away then he's quite stupid