Could people sue churches for this?

Let me first start off by saying that I completely agree with my church and any other church that says this after the recent events. So my pastor sent out a comment on the supreme court ruling basically saying that he will adhere to the laws of man as long as they don't go against what God says. Meaning that he will NOT marry homosexuals. Now I still think that people who have nothing better to do will still try to sue. They should already know that it's going to be hard to find someone that will go against God's word. So knowing that they still would sue is there the possibility that they would win even if churches state beforehand that they wouldn't do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• They won't win. The lawsuits won't even be heard because of the first amendment. There's a fundamental difference between government and churches. The SCOTUS decision was about government and what it can and cannot do.

And there are plenty of churches that will gladly marry gays. Gays know where these churches are and have been attending them for years. They don't want anything to do with you and your hateful churches. There will probably be a couple wingnuts who try to sue, but mostly people just want to be left alone to live how they want.

• We are hateful what's hateful us expecting someone to go against what we believe.

• They're not being forced to do it. The decision is about civil marriages issued by government. Religious marriage is something totally different.

• I know I don't think you get what I mean. People will try to sue people for anything so I would assume that they would try.

What Guys Said 13

• Gods word? Could you perhaps tell us where in the bible it says that gay men cannot marry? I'd be excited to hear that. Those primitive, uneducated shepherds in the middle east 3000 years ago didn't even know what marriage is, let alone gay marriage. Don't believe every bullshit your pastor tells you.
    I don't know if somebody could win such a lawsuit but what I do know is that it's not even worth it. It's not even worth having discussions with intolerant assholes such as your pastor. If I was gay and I would want to marry my boyfriend, I would simply go to an open-minded 21-century pastor who will marry me. Your pastor might think he's got the high moral grounds, but he doesn't. Sooner or later all these intolerant, ignorant jackass will die out and I promise you, in 100 years people will look back to us, shake their heads and wonder how we could ever seriously consider not letting gay people get married. Just like we look back to the 1950s and wonder how people could have ever seriously prohibited black people from marrying white people.

• We aren't ignorant it's you and some others that are. You can look up scriptures about where it says that being gay is wrong. They did know about marriage and I don't even think gay people got married then.

• Sexual immorality include homosexuality. I don't hate homosexuality people. My cousin is gay and that doesn't make me love him any less, now I don't support or agree with what he does though. I find it very stupid of you to think that David and Jonathan were a gay couple they were friends no where in the bible does it only that they were anything but close friends. Ruth and Naomi weren't blood related so I don't know where you got that from. Ruth married one of Naomi's sons who died along with her husband. Both Ruth and the other girl followed Naomi back to where she was from. Naomi told them to turn back and the other girl did but Ruth stayed. Ruth later met Boaz and got married to him. Are you taking what the Bible says literally? Yes I do follow the bible but just like everyone else I sin too. When God sent Jesus that's when they stopped stoning people and using animals as sacrifices. There's nothing wrong with interracial marriage either. What's really sad is the fact that you can't

• Comprehend what you're reading. You keep saying that you already told me stuff but I wasn't really reading it because I don't have time to sit here and go back and forth with someone who making things up and that is clearly hating on the Bible.

• Maybe some idiot judge somewhere would rule in favor of the homosexual couple, but it is very unlikely. A church ceremony is not necessary for a wedding at all, so the refusal of the church does not impinge upon a constitutionally protected right.

• I think the supreme court judgement only refers to things like marriage licences etc - I think the church can opt out - I think that is current position in Ireland and UK

• Churches can marry whoever they want, they're private for-profit organizations, so if they don't want to marry gay couples, they don't have to.
    So suing them would be stupid cause they won't win.

• Why don't they pay taxes if they're private for-profit organizations?

• @bubble_tea Well, Spain has always been Catholic, and the church has been linked to the state for years, and there's still lots of religious people, and all of those I know are Catholic.
      I'm sure there must be Evangelic churches, but they're hard to find, I haven't seen one.
      Other parts of Europe have different type of churches cause of history, like the Protestants, those never came to Spain.
      I've never heard of those "sects".

• Those 'sects' are called 'free churches' here.

• I am a strong supporter of gay marriage.
    I really don't get why they would want to marry in a church. That would be provocation to me. I don't even understand why christians are so against it since it will change absolutely nothing in their life.

• It's not only Christians and yes it will affect us all one day soon.

• @asker Yep, that's what I was suggesting. I already had a similar argument with someone else today, I don't need another one :-)

• Well good night

• I don't think you can/should sue churches for that?

Marriage as a governmental thing with federal benefits is legal in all fifty states for us gays, but that can be done in courthouses and in churches that accept gay people.

I think it's not going to be too much of a problem.

• I don't think they'll win, but they sure can try

• probably. knowing how the gay community is filled with radicals. They'll sue anyone that opposes their views and refuse to marry them.

It would be hypocritical for the gay and lezbos to force a pastor or whom ever to marry them because their gay.

this gay thing isn't productive.

• They could try but most likely the church would win do to freedom of religion.

• God > Man. Except for Jacob, he beat God's ass at wrestling. That's why we have Israel.

• People can sue anyone for anything they want.

But honestly, this is an unrealistic fear. I guarantee, if a church was sued for not marrying a homosexual couple (and let's say it went up to the Supreme Court), the court would decide in favor of the church as a form of religious exemption.

I just don't see that fear as realistic at all. I think it's just a bunch of bigots fear-mongering and rabble-rousing to pursue their bigoted agenda.

Gay marriage is not a threat to religious freedom. All it does is allow gays the civic benefits that a marriage license grants to a couple. It does not mandate that religious people change their beliefs (whether they be right or wrong).

Gays will simply find it easier and less hassle to simply use a Justice of the Peace.

• I do hope that churches keep this up. If they do, eventually all christianity will disappear. That's called evolutionary improvement.

• No you can't. You'd be forcing a man to go against his religion and freedom of religion is pretty important in the US. I'm guessing they'll get married in courts or something.

• And no it's quite easy to find people to go against god but they still can't change the law

• Oh ok thanks

• The ruling dictates only to the government officials and those outside the church that are empowered to perform marriage ceremonies. They can't refuse. The church can with no consequences. Separation of church and state. So you're correct. Gays can get married at any secular establishment where there is someone who has official capacity to do so. The church is exempt and has the choice. People don't HAVE to get married in a church. It's not necessary. It's desired to do so by many.

What Girls Said 7

• They might sue and they might not. Hopefully these people stop blaming their problems on Christians. About 15 years ago, my pastor told me he was worried he would get arrested for preaching against homosexuality in church and that Canada was getting worse. Well its been 15 years and no pastors have been arrested yet.

• I agree things are getting crazy. You just say that the bible says something wrong and then you are accused of judging others.

• They don't need your church, they can easily find somewhere else to get married. Even if they can't get married under God they still get a marriage licenses proving their marriage. Honestly speaking as a straight person I don't think I would care about any religious aspect when getting married. And if I did I certainly wouldn't want to be married in a church that won't recognize same sec marriage. As long as the government recognizes it, my significant other and me truly love each other no one else's opinion matters. I have some friends that are lesbians and bisexual and they don't care if the churches don't recognize and follow the law.

• Well I believe that a marriage centered around God is important. I would want to get married in a church that follows God's word and not one that tries to rearrange and change what the Bible says but that's my opinion

• Obviously there will be a few wackos who feel that they can take it on but I doubt they would win. Churches hold more power than they should here and have enough people backing them that going against the church would be a bad idea. Plus... America is all about freedom. Which includes freedom of religion. We don't force Hindus to eat cows so I doubt a Christian church would be forced to marry homosexuals. However, I hate the fact that religious homosexuals are going to have a hard time marrying in a church.

• Being gay goes against almost all religions and they all know it. Being gay and calling yourself a Christian is like being anadulterous or pornographic Christian. Then they wave around the rainbow which is the sign that God sent after the world was destroyed.

• But being gay isn't something you can help. In my opinion, religion is for those who admit they are weak and imperfect. God accepts those imperfections, those weaknesses, and he forgives them. Just because someone falls in love with the same sex doesn't mean they don't believe in God and it doesn't mean they don't deserve the Lord's love. A lot of Christians say that gay people are sick. They look at homosexuality like they would a porn addiction. In that case, God doesn't love gays any less than he loves his other children. Marriage is a celebration of love and when it's done between two people that love God, they often find comfort in celebrating in a church. Some of these people are sinners but are still allowed to wed in the church. Homosexuals can hold the same desires. I hope this makes sense, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything

• No they can find another place to marry

• Unfortunately I think the church would lose. Heard about the gay couple and the cake shop?

• You cannot sue a church for its beliefs. My church had an announcement and they will not be performing those ceremonies. I dont know how a church can abandon the word of god for the law of man...

• I doubt it.