Does becoming a politician really corrupts a person?

I hate how this world is.. I don't like it. I want to change it.
And.. I once thought it would be great to change the world by getting involved in politics.. But I'm not sure 'cause I don't wanna do bad things..

Most Helpful Guy

• no being a politician won't corrupt u... it all has 2 do wid da person.

but if any politician EVER thought seriously of time machines... :(

What Guys Said 17

• Power corrupts and corrupt people are drawn to power. That holds true for the majority of people.

Personally my grandfather was strongly active politically out of his principles and maybe naive mind. Even in the smaller communities there is so much nepotism as well as bribing, you have no chance to get up the ranks.

Furthermore only the fewest people are really interested in much power or money and thus lack the drive to work their ways up as they have other priorities (spending time with family, etc).
    And money/power corrupts - look at famous athletes and how arrogant and self-loving they quite often get.

There also has been a study about politicians showing how they have a higher percentage of sociopaths (lack of ethics and morals).

Sure, there are the few who really do it out of good intent and principles - but they are way too rare to be reliable.

Independent of you being religious or not:
    "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." - Matthew 19:24

• There is a saying "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" _ they may enter clean and innocent but they all get tainted in the end

• Its not the job which causes the character, it is the integrity of the individual, the pure essence of what makes them, them. when someone is corrupt, that essence is masked by other temporary ideals and values, like a fridge covered in post-it notes. the best leaders are the ones who keep their cool, and make sure that the priorities they have set, above all else, are the things they will conduct with their full attention.

• Eh, A single person cannot change anything in politics, Not in a democracy anyway.
    No single person has that kind of power ;)

• I can. If I put all my effort into my work.
      But answer the question.

• Well, If you want to raise awareness for something or stuff like that, then yeah you could do that.
      If you want to change the economy / immigration / religion / rights / wars etc. then you have near no power over them :/.

• I will succeed.

• Well, i think politicians can carry a certain amount of baggage
    they seem to be so good while in office than when they get
    in trouble by committing corruption while in office that's why
    some make it and some don't.

• To do that you should strong desire, strong position you should have strong say, if you have those traits you can be a good politician, and of course politics are somehow corrupted in today's world,

yes it can corrupt you when you forget your goals

• It has more to to with greed, power, and money.

• It seems that if you don't play by the corrupt rules of the game, you won't make it far. Which is quite sad.

• Politicians get their power from being corrupt.
    Look at the Green Party of the UK. Their policies are agreeable but they don't have power because they don't have the connections and they are against what corrupt corporations wants.

• I have Political background, does that make me corrupt?

It does make you an extravagant person, i can't deny that.

• It gives you many many opportunities to be get corrupt, so it all depends on the person.

• I love grumpy cat ;)

• Everyone does!

• Power corrupts people.

But not everyone is.

• Yeah. Same here. I have an addictive personality so I don't know if I could handle it.

• It depends actually

• If a man is wise power won't corrupt him.

• Example of such a person?

• 1. Sisters of mercy. These are catholic women who founded Mercy hospital. Mercy original started as a ministry that gave medical treatment to the poor. Mercy hospital brought in wealth
      2 . Markiplier- A gamer despite becoming rich, he give to charity a lot.
      3. Young professionals meeting- these are men and women who have made in the business word. Rather than being greedy they host meetings to help the youth reach the success that they have achieved.

• Don't think so but you can find out that the dreams you had aren't possible to achieve that easily

• In my country yes surely!!

• Everyone has his price.
    Some are cheaper than others, that's all.

Politicians aren't that cheap.

What Girls Said 3

• I think a lot of politics is about the person. if you go into it for the right reasons and you stick to them you'll be fine. If you are easily swayed or in it for the money, you've no chance.

• Stupidity and selfishness destroy nations, but not all politicians are selfish. Some are genuine retards.

• And those retards? Are they innocent or corrupted too :D?

• Hahahaha. xD

• The hard part about politics is that even if your a good person someone will still make a lie about you and keep saying it until others believe it.