Should this drive a wedge in your relationship?

I am hearing impaired, and I'm in a relationship with a guy that has normal hearing. Sometimes, I forget about my disability until something happens to my hearing aids, and I get depressed. I start to question if I'm a burden or if I'm the right one for him, because of it. We have been together for 5 years this coming July 2nd.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am in a similar situation. I am blind on my left eye and almost blind on my right eye. I've got a girlfriend of 5 years too. Honestly, you shouldn't worry about this. I know your feelings very well because I used to have them too but think about it: your boyfriend has been together with you for FIVE years. I think it's save to say that he loves you very much! :-) Also, think about it this way: everyone has some kind of flaw. For some people it's something more visible such as being blind or being overweight, for other people it's something less visible such as being hearing impaired. And not all flaws are physical handicaps. Some people are intolerant jerks. Some people are extremely materialistic. Or overtly jealous. Or they don't have any humor. Some people are traumatized by something. Some are socially awkward. Nobody is perfect. Everyone has a flaw. Our flaws happens to be a physical disability. And while I do not believe in god or in fate, I do believe that we all have some kind of "job" in life. Of course you have to find out yourself, what your job is. But maybe part of it is to accept your disability and learn to live with it. To be a strong and self-secure person nonetheless. And last but not least, always remember this: in order for another person to love you, it's essential that you love yourself. If you don't love yourself, nobody else will be able to love you.
    Oh, and I have yet another argument: don't take your disability only as a flaw. I know from my own experience that it can be extremely annoying sometimes but I don't think it's only a hindrance in life. There are also things I am better at than people with good eyes. I'm extremely good at sensing a mood/atmosphere. When I enter a room, I immediately know what the mood is like in there. My experiences with my disability also made me into a more grown-up and mature person than most other people my age. These kind of things can be very helpful for a relationship and I know from my girlfriend that she actually appreciates this "advantages" of my handicap very much.

What Guys Said 4

• If you have been together for 5 years things are probably good - I was in a relationship with a deaf girl for years and her deafness had nothing to do with breakup

• i know of a online female friend who was born hearing impaired
    and trust me it's not a deal breaker. i also would date a hear impaired
    girl it would be no problem.. i accept people for who they are.

• If he loves your or care enough about you then it shouldn't

• I wouldn't give two fucks. When do you feel that it's at its worst?

What Girls Said 1

• You are not a burden to him. He loves you and has been with you for 5 years and you should never feel guilty for something that is not your fault.