If I go faster than the speed of light. Am I blind?

Because my organic light detector will not detect light.. or will it?

HHmmmmmmm

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I took a class on modern physics, but it arguably wouldn't be necessary.

If you were to travel faster than the speed of light, you would see a bright tunnel of light ahead of you, and only ahead. It will contain the full 360* of view. Meaning you could look ahead of you, and see behind you. Almost like a scrunched panoramic screen.

Also, while speeding up, the space in front of you will appear to recede away at first. As you approach the speed of light, everything around you will appear to flatten as though you are looking on top of a pancake. To everyone else, YOU would appear to have flattened.

Also, the image you see will appear to go backwards. Since this is also the maximum speed that information can travel (by traditional means), then you actually are, in fact, travelling backwards in time.

What Girls Said 1

• yes you are.

What Guys Said 5

• 1 burn to death for going to fast like a shuttle on re-entry.
    2. The wind resistance would freeze you into a solid block of ice
    3. Your lungs would collapse from the vacuum of air from wind resistance
    4. You body could not handle going that fast and would tear apart.
    I thing going blind is the least of your problems.

• 1 and 2 is actually a contradiction.. Don't forget about splitting of an atom or atoms.

• 1 and 2 are contradictions, and irrelevant if in space. If on land, 1 is more accurate, except far beyond shuttle entry. We are talking nuclear fusion. The photons and neutron emissions would generate something like a nuclear sonic boom. XKCD did the calculation using a baseball that approaches the speed of light.

If in space, you would not freeze. A vacuum is a perfect convective insulator.

Your lungs would expand, not collapse.

4 needs some work. While the acceleration is up for debate, once you reach a velocity, all physics operates normally for your inertial reference frame.

• Never thought about it but I think you are right

• Yeah probably

• Late reply but yes it will be like the things freeze and u will think u r walking really really slow

• You cannot go faster than the speed of light unless you have no mass so the question doesn't make scientific sense.

• But WHAT IF?(!)

• Actually, if you were to go faster than the speed of light by "traditional means", you would have imaginary mass. That is, your mass would be a multiple of the square-root of -1, as is the case with the theoretical particle, the Tachyon.

We have no known way of travelling faster than light "traditionally" (travelling through space at 300million m/s). So if we WERE to go faster than light, it would be via a warp bubble. NASA has recently gotten their warp bubble calculations to that of "the resting energy of the sputnik satellite", which was an impressive improvement over the previous "resting energy the the planet Jupiter"

You would expand space behind you, and contract space in front of you. Inside this warp bubble, physics would operate normally. In fact, acceleration via warp field would have no inertial effect. You wouldn't be "pushed back", and more mass wouldn't slow you down.

• The important part is that 300million m/s is the speed limit THROUGH space. But if you bend space, you can move a bubble of space much faster, and nothing inside this bubble is moving "through space", rather the space itself is moving.

I recommend looking up the NASA papers, they are more detailed and accurate than I am.