Can you be feminist but not agree with everything?

Like you can believe in equality and all that. But let's say you don't agree with abortion? Yes, I know it's our bodies and men are saying what we can and can't do with it, girls should have a say in what they do with their bodies. I don't know I guess it's because I'm Christian maybe, it's killing a baby and don't say it's not a baby because it's not fully developed yet.
No nasty hate comments or debates

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes you don't have to free with 100% of what feminism does. Think about it like voting you may not like 100% with what a politician belies but if you agree with most of it then you'll probably support them/vote for them. And that's okay.

What Guys Said 11

• Despite what people might tell you there is no one type of "real feminist". Feminism is a woman's advocacy movement. There are many different branches of feminism and that is the only thing they all have in common. Many of these different branches actually come in direct conflict with one another, such as one group thinking a woman stripping is demeaning to women and should be illegal, and another group thinks women should have a right to strip if they want to. One group may be for equality with men, and another group may be for female superiority. One group may shame any woman that wants to fulfill the traditional female gender role, and another group may support a woman's right to choose what role she wants to fill. They are all feminists, but they are different types of feminists.

• Here's my opinion, if you identify with a group and tell people that you are a member of that group you are stating that you identify with the zeitgeist of that groups identity. Such as by stating that you are Christian I assume certain things about you, such as that you have taken Christ on as your personal savior, that you go to church on a regular basis, that you try and be Christ like, etc. As that is what Christians do. Same with feminists there aee things that are inherent in the movement, does that make sense?

• Being for equality doesn't make you a feminist. You don't have to be a feminist to be for equality. Being a feminist doesn't make you for equality. You don't have to be for equality to be a feminist.

Short answer yes, but be prepared to be ripped apart by other feminists like a pack of wild dogs.

• That's the case with pretty much any large group of people with varied opinions. There isn't a consensus of what exact positions constitute feminism anyway. There are just some core ideas ("women should be treated equally") that don't by themselves solve the majority of controversies involving feminism.

So yes, I think you can be a feminist without agreeing with every tenet.

• Of course when you sign up to anything you should be entitled to not have to agree with everything they preach. It is okay to be an individual within a group

• Feminisim is not equality, sorry to disappoint you. Feminisim means woman > man and EQUALism mean woman = man. I don't want to hear "feminism" and "equal" in one sentence or I puke because that's the definition of hypocritical.

• Being a feminist doesn't require that you are anti-abortion.

• Wait does feminists believe they can abort cos its their body,? what about the men i think they should and must have a say i think yes it their body but also its some mans child too, and without his effort this would not have been possible

that is why he should have a say

• Sure
    There are feminists, but also extreme feminists

• do you hate woman

• All human beings have the capacity to hold completely contradictory points of view.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't agree with abortion either. But there are situations where 12 year olds are not allowed to abort even though they are victims of rape. Abortion is murder. But what's the point of a woman having a baby she doesn't want, the baby has a very less chance of having a happy life. We can't argue that a woman go through 9 months of hell and terrible pain and give up baby for adoption instead of abortion.

• Feminism is a very broad term. There is no central authority or something. So you can support something and not others

• oh by the way, let me assure that god has no problem killing babies. Think of the first born sons of egypt for example

• yes you can, but, equalist is a better word in my opinion, I do not even know if it excists, but I am defenately one.

• i think feminism is very personal and you can and should define what it means to you.

• Yes you are allowed to do that and be a feminist. Free country.

• You can be. Feminism is about equality and that has nothing to do with abortion. I'm pro life as well.

• I know. I know feminist think they should be able to get abortions and they should have a right to do whatever they want with their bodies but I don't agree with killing a baby.

• Same. They think it's about oppressing women but if guys could get pregnant I would still feel the same.