Should I dislike my Grandfather?

So, my Grandpa was in the Red army during WW2 and he said to us that his mates were raping and killing a lot of German people, especially women when the war was about to end. He said they deserved it for what Germans have done to our country and that they deserved a lot more, and my Mother agrees with him, although i am a little neutral on this topic.

Most Helpful Girl

• No... Germans back then were the foulest creatures ever created by man - Hitler to be exact.
    Many Germans were Jewish or just not perfect by Hitler's standards hence they were being killed by the Nazis too... So... It's complicated.
    Nevertheless, you can't know what your grandfather saw. I bet there are a million stories he made himself forget, and some of the horrors he endured he doesn't want to mention - to pretend they never happened.
    Maybe his friends dealt with those horrors by doing those awful acts to Germans - and I certainly hope they only attacked the brainwashed weaklings under Hitler's control.

• ''No... Germans back then were the foulest creatures ever created by man''...
      Probably the single most arrogant and ignorant comment i have ever seen on this website :/.

• @MrDetermined , You know, Stalin actually caused the deaths of more Russian civilians then the Red army killed German soldiers (Stalin killed 49-60Million russians via famine / purges).
      And, No, There are not 'tons of sources', to support your claims of Whermacht soldiers raping 10,000,000 russian women, If there are, Can you kindly give them to me?, because i can assure you they dont exist. You know, The Whermacht consited of just over 1 Million men on the east front. If what your saying is true, That means EVERY german soldier must have raped at least 10 women? not a fucking chance... your bulshiting.
      And, Like i said, I understand some of the stuff the Nazi's did was fucking awful and evil, But, Lets not confuse the Nazis+SS with the Whermacht (army), The army was independent to the Nazi party and army officers would often fight with hitler about the war. So dont blame the army, Blame the Nazis / SS.
      And yeah, Russia did do 50% of the work, I dont deny that.

• @Riggers - sorry... I never promoted rape or murder...
      You say what benefits you - mostly when it's not even true.
      You want to win an argument more than you want to be right... That's sad.
      Maybe you should just calm down and go to sleep.

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madftbSBf11qd4mad.gif

I never said war was great. I never even said was was okay. War is necessary when it's for defense or freedom of a country. I've lived in war, doubt you have. So please... just walk away.

What Girls Said 3

• That's fucked up... I mean yeah the germans really screwed everyone, but that doesn't mean that everyone was necessarily on board with hitler, they might not have been able to get out of it, so raping and killing civilians is messed up.

• They deserved to be killed, but not raped...

• WW2 didn't give people a choice on where or whom they fought.

What Guys Said 11

• Look into something called ''The Rape Of Germany''.

When Germany was loosing on the eastern front, and the Soviets entered the German homeland, its no secret that the rape of german girls, women, and old ladies was widespread.
    It got so bad, that the allied commanders (US and Britain) actually spoke to the Soviets about putting an end to it as it would only make the Germans hate the allies more and want revenge after WW2 (Which is what caused WW2 from WW1).
    So Stalin actually issued Directive orders to cease looting and rape of German families.
    Russia in WW2 was just as bad as Germany. And before everyone in these comments says things like ''They were Germans they deserve it'', Shut the **** up, These are people ffs, Young girls, Women, Old people, Not people who gassed Jews at camps, You'll find the majority of Germans had absolutely no idea about the camps until the very very end of the war, and most were even oblivious to it then. These people were not evil, they were just people trying to survive in a war (Dont forget, the Allies were bombing the absolutely living shit out of Germany for the past few years, Their lives were hell).
    Whilst i think what your granddad did was beyond evil, i think its important you forgive and forget. And live your live on with him.

• You shut up. Germany was 10x worse than Russia, go and look up at what Germans did to Russian civilians and Jews. What they did was just too much, they got everything they deserved. Rape will never equal torture and murder. You seem very one sided and very ignorant about what the Nazi's were doing, i think i spoke to you before didn't i?

Go and do some research and then come back with some facts.

• I don't believe raping someone is ethical to use as a punishment. I do have family that lived in Germany during the war. Almost no one knew about the camps besides certain military people. It was pretty futile to oppose the nazi party back then. The people didn't have much of a choice. Plus I bet there was cultural rhetoric justifying invading countries.

Your grand father may have been ignorant to the average Germans ability to resist the nazi parties influence. It's possible he may also have just wanted to justify rape.

I'll also add that Russia was planning on helping Germany conquer eastern Europe until Germany attacked them. Would it be okay to rape Russian women if that happened?

• I don't think what a group of people did in wartime, especially under a dictator who would have killed their families for disobedience, can be taken as pure evil. The people they killed/raped in revenge weren't representatives of the problem, and even so, it isn't for soldiers to deal out revenge. The purpose of any sane war is to stop the enemy, not destroy them.

On the other hand, it's understandable why Allied soldiers at that time would have been vengeful, and if they are willing now to acknowledge that their war crimes (by which I mean, raping, and murdering outside of what was necessary in combat) were unjustified, I think they can be forgiven. There's nothing too bad to be forgiven.

• Young German here. We know more about what the Nazis did than anyone else because it's our history, and we take our own history very seriously. Only about 10% of the German population were Nazis, everyone else simply knew that if they disagreed with Hitler, someone would raid their house and either shoot them or drag them away to a concentration camp to be tortured to death. Some of the soldiers might have been actual sociopaths (after all, no normal person could possibly enjoy war), but the others just followed orders so their wives and children at home wouldn't get murdered for their husband/father being a "traitor" or "coward". Ask your grandfather how life in the Soviet Union was like during that time, he will tell you pretty similar things. It must have been such a horrible time to be alive, no matter where in the world. Stalin made a lot of people "disappear". I can understand your grandfather's attitude because demonizing the enemy (including the enemy nation's innocent civilians) is just what shitty politicians do to make their soldiers obedient and ruthless, and it's probably also the only way to deal with what he's seen his mates do to the Germans. After all, if he thought of the Germans as humans, his own people would be the monsters for raping and killing them. It's the same here. Some former Wehrmacht soldiers might have survived the war physically, but it's changed them forever. Inside their hearts, there will always be war. They still have this "I did what I had to do, I had no other choice" mindset because there is just no way to deal with the guilt of what they were expected to do. Your grandfather lived through horrors we cannot even imagine today. You can disagree with him without hating him. Forgiveness is the only reason WWIII hasn't happened yet.

• Not true, Germans DID have a choice to join in the killings or not. They had no real reason to go and kill civilians in Russia so you can't really apply the same logic to both parties and act as if Germans were on the same plate as the Russians were. Therefore your comparison is not really valid. I don't believe a single word that comes out from a German because it's obvious that Germans are being taught things that favour the nation such as that they had no choice but join blah blah.

And even if they were to make this decision, they had no reason to the things they have done to the civilians. Only a fool would believe they were innocent. The Red army only showed Germans what they have done to their people, so their mindset was totally different which you obviously fail to understand. I don't feel sorry for the Germans that died. You just can't compare Nazis with anyone, you just can't because they were the lowest scums as everyone knows.

• You sure are very emotional and hard to educate for someone who claims to be "a little neutral". We really got far off topic. All I wanted to do is help you improve your relationship with your grandfather. I suggest you do that by educating yourself about history so you will understand the world in which he has lived. That's the last piece of advice I can give you.

• Emotional? lol, i am far from emotional. You are just making wrong comparisons by comparing the Nazis's with the Soviets which doesn't make sense so i obviously have to correct your logic. Yeah, i used to be a little neutral but now i am sure supporting my Grandad fully, those scums got what they deserved. Thanks for lumping everyone together in an attempt to make me feel compassion towards Germans.

Don't worry i know my history pretty well, more accurately than what they teach you in Germany. Your input was appreciated.

• i'd not forgive him as well. rapin gals is really shitty. after all those women weren't da ones who killed those people... no?

• They deserved it because they followed Hitler.

• It happened already. Germans raped my Grandmothers Mother during the war.

• i see but still, if i was u i'd not look in da past... people back then were different, and not as smart as we r now

• Okay I think this goes wayyyyy too far. I don't know what ever gave them the right to rape innocent people, I'm not only saying this because I'm german, I'd say it for every other country too. Raping and killing innocent people is nothing to be proud of or to defend because it's unreasonable and disgusting. If I was you I'd have a serious talk with my mother and grandpa and ask them how it would have been if they were the ones affected. What if your mother was raped for no reason? What if your grandpa was killed for no reason? What if they lost their family because of stupid soldiers playing judge with your life? If they still think it's okay then they are not people I would want to be with or have contact with.

• You are not looking at it from the current point. Germans were nasty to Soviets during 1941-1942 and killed and tortured more than 10 million people, this includes children as well. I have personally no sympathy for Germans as they did not have a reason to do all those things, The Red army only wanted revenge, although i respect them awfully for that reason, i can't judge them because it was a war and they had a legitimate reason for their actions.

Although my family strongly dislikes Germans to this day, i feel less hatred towards them, but i can't blame her.

• I would not kill the killers of my people because then I am like them. Then I am the killer of their people. If I kill them then they will want to kill me again. That's what this causes. More pain. More fear. More despair. I am the one thinking logically here. I am the one leaving out the emotions. Death is not productive. Everything you said causes death and all those things above. You don't seem to get it, even getting disrespectful in the process of denial. I'm not going to answer you again, have fun talking.

• You are thinking logically but you are insulting me and calling me names? yeah right, go to bed.

• Ww2 was the craziest shit to go down. The war between germany and soviet union was worse than america vs japan. The brutality was understandable and what happened was bad. But no, i wouldn't hate your grandpa because the germans were really badto the russians also.

• Germans were a lot worse tough.

• Your stats are wrong, the germans killed anywhere from 24 to 28 million soviets. Raped about 10 million. Look it up, the germans did the same ahit as the soviets just to more people. What the ruasians did to them was a balancing act. If aomeone puches you, you not only punch them but kixk their ass right. Well there you go.

• You weren't in the circumstance and you never will be. Best to remain neutral, it's impossible to relate.

• You can disagree with your grandfather but what's done is done. I mean it's still straight up rape, it's still a criminal offense. I'm sure nobody said "they were germans, fuck it" openly.

• I wouldn't respect him anymore.

• War is a horrible, horrible thing... and brings out the darkness within. I can see his point. We are all human... and can be quite vicious if we are being attacked or brutalized. Sometimes, we become more vicious than our attackers.