Why do you have to call a job after you've applied?

it seems stupid to me, i know that it shows that your interested but thats not my job, isn't that what a hiring manager is for, aren't they suposed to call you. i mean if i wasn't intrested in the job i wouldn't have took the 30 minutes to fill out the aplication in the first place. duh.

Omggg I just called back the Wendy's I applied for and now I have an Interview!! Thank you all so much.

Most Helpful Guy

• Think about it this way. As a manager or owner (I'm both for different companies ) you receive 30 applications for a job. You look through them and most of them are pretty much alike. So you pick 10 or so and interview them, usually based on what you need (experience always counts) and you get a feel for them. Then usually you get down to 2 or 3 so then it comes down to who wants it more. If only one calls as a follow up who do you think they are going to pick? Enthusiasm for the position counts, especially for openings in the jobs teens get.

What Guys Said 6

• Anyone can do what you did, only a few that are more interested and have the initiative is what they are looking for. They are not interested in the ones who only give the bare minimum.

• Because you set yourself apart. You'll show a more active interest in the job if you call in and ask how it's going.

• It creates a positive impression of yourself that you are eager to get this job.

• To look more interested and see how things are going. It gives a positive impression of you

• Because you could be filling out Ina of applications anyway, and not even care about the job. They get thousands of applicants a day probably, no manager wants to go through all those

• Lol. Do you want the job? First, it reminds them to look at your resume or application. Second it shows initiative and ambition. It isn't the hiring managers job to get you the job. His job is to get a good person for it. It is your job to convince him you are the right person.
    Your attitude really sucks. I wouldn't hire you.

• Your wrong Mr. my attitude doesn't suck... but yours does, Dick.

• I am not mean. I gave you some good advice. I own a company and hire a lot of people. Your attitude from the "It's HIS job" to "aren't THEY supposed to CALL YOU" shows your attitude. You don't get it. They aren't there to serve you. You are looking to get the job from them. You are the one who is being evaluated. You are the subordinate. They dont NEED you YOU need them. Time to grow up.

• that was @Kiwifun . I just realized you are in your 30s... how can you agree with the ASKER? dont you see her attitude?

What Girls Said 3

• they do it because sometimes it works. I applied for a job at starbuicks 8 years ago and when I handed in my resume the manager told me they get 200 applications a day and I shouldn't even waste my time applying. My friend called the starbuicks restaurant a couple of days after handing out her resume and she got the job!!! It works sometimes.

• definitely call them after an interview to show you care, it just increase your chances of getting the job

• I've heard some places are starting to not hire you if you call back after applying. If you were told to wait to be contacted and you call, they'll mark you as "unable to follow instructions "