Is it ethical to force someone to receive chemotherapy if they don't want it?

What if they were a minor, like this girl?

Most Helpful Guy

• The chemo was said to give her an excellent chance to gain remission, and without it she would likely die soon. She stated that she did not want the chemo. That did not sound very rational. With an adult, that would have ended it, but in this case, the state was called in. Her mother was fighting to prevent the chemo. So the State took custody of a minor and forced her to have the chemo. She has since made excellent progress, is happy, and now says she want to continue the chemo. the mom is STILL trying to force the state out.

It clearly seems that the earlier conviction the girl had to not have chemo was something her mother brainwashed her with, perhaps due to religion. But the girl has since learned the truth, is doing well under the medical care, and is happy with life and the treatment. So it seems the state made the right decisions.

What Guys Said 13

• Ooh hard question.
    I may give special consideration for when it is a younger child and the parents want to force it, but for the most part, my answer is no. It is the person's choice to or to not receive chemotherapy. No one wants their final and lasting impression on their family for them to be in hospital bed suffering slowly, as the last few moths slowly eroded them physically and mentally.

• Update: In cases like the article (it is a minor), I would say forcing them isn't entirely bad. I personally wouldn't say they are young enough to worry about a legacy and the parents are just wanting their kids to be able grow up. It is one of those things where they'll hate the parent at first but chances are they'll like them in the long run.

Tl; Dr; Kids are different cases.

• While they may have good intentions, it still isn't right (or ethical) to force someone to go through any medical procedure. The only acceptable exception would be if you were a child and your parents refused to put you through treatment, which would obviously save your life, for stupid reasons like their religious beliefs (I'm talking to you, Scientologists).

• No. It's their life, so it's their decision.
    But since she's a minor, it's up to her parents, and since her mother also said no chemo, then they shouldn't have forced her.
    I know they wanted the best for her, but it's still not their decision.

• If someone doesn't want take chemotherapy they
    should be free to make their own decisions my own
    mother signed the DNR cause if she died she didn't
    want brought back to life but she lived about 14 days after
    being told she had cancer all through her and i know
    we had our differences but i miss her so much today
    and i don't know why i need new beginning in life ,

• Even minors should be allowed to make medical decisions
      on whether they want chemotherapy or not i believe we all
      should have our right to die if we want to without someone
      stopping us and I'm not talking about suicide either,

• No I think adults should decide for themselves. For that girl though she was just being stubborn. Yeah it sucks but so does being dead and the chances of it working were 85%. It's one thing to not want to do it if it is unlikely to save you but when your odds are jumped up to 85% then you'd be stupid not to get it.

• No its wrong the treatments itself are worse than the disease its self sometimes scientist have found other ways to treat cancer like through using animal parts its just that the FDA has a full say in what food and drugs are get regulated and which ones don't having the government decide these things are a terrible idea.

• In the case of a minor the state has to have right to intervene

• No, I do not think that any "cure" that causes worse quality of life than the disease itself should be mandatory.

• No, unless it is a child.

• No, but parents can be forced to send their kids into that treatment.

• What are ethics really?

• Of course not, in my country it would even be illegal to do so.

• No. You can't control someone's life. Forcing someone to live and forcing someone to die no different

What Girls Said 6

• I can understand both sides, but honestly, I would have tried to save the girl as well. We're all receiving some type of radiation daily, but this is the only thing that would be able to save her life.

Hell, if I was the doctor I would have even waived the bill if she didn't have insurance. It's about saving lives to me. I wouldn't be able to perform medicine if I didn't do that.

• Nope. I think if someone doesn't want to undergo treatment or wants to be euthanized get have te legal right to.

• No. It's their right to choose whether or not they want the treatment and no one should force them no matter how old they are. It's their body so it should be their choice and their choice only.

• When I was around 8 I was diagnosed with Leukemia, obviously, I didn't had the choice to choose on whether I wanted chemotherapy or not, nor did my mum. The doctors did the decision for me.

• No. It's the persons right to choose. I watch what it did to my mom I will never go through thar

• You can't force someone to become better if they don't want to.