How much money do I need to make a year to live comfortably?

So I'm just wondering for when I graduate high school how much money per year do you think I need to live comfortably? By comfortably I mean nice apartment, food, some electonics, shopping for clothes every once and a while, nice car... but like excessively nice. I'm thinking something in surgical and the first job option can take anywhere from 9 months to 2 years and make around 47,000 per year. The other job I'm looking at takes about 6 years which means I can graduate by the time I'm 23 and it makes about 70,000 a year. From these two jobs, which one sounds better? And if neither, how much should I be making, etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you work doing what you love then you will never work a day in your life. Do what makes you happy. 47K will be okay. You might not do a lot of extra fun stuff, but if you get a roommate or a spouse who also makes about that much then you can live quite comfortably.

What Guys Said 4

• That really depends on where you live too and how much you plan to spend every month

• Surgical only makes that much in US? I'm an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) and I make about $80,000 Canadian dollars per year before taxes and I know the LPNs in US are so much different than the LPN in Canada , but I live very comfortably and I own 2 condos (Vancouver BC) at my age right now turning 27. It's being self paid with renters and yes it is claimed as business already.

• A lack of definitive information (such as where you intend to live) completely cripples the ability to make any economic guesses.

• why not both? if you do both you can have money for the 4 years after you get the first one, while u continue working on the 2nd one

• Don't pick your job based on money. That sounds cliche but it's true. What's the point in being able to go home for a few hours of nice stuff when you hate the rest of your day?

What Girls Said 2

• It's enough cash to live comfortably with. If it's only for you either job is good. Of course the more money the better the vacations and leisure time you'll have. Also remember that more money is also more responsibility so not necessarily will it balance out perfect.

• No matter how much you save up, you'll end up needing to make more. Enjoy your high school career for now. Adulthood comes in a blink of a eye. 3 1/2 years ago I was in high school. Time flys bye.