Rice vs. Pasta vs. Potatoes?

What is the more versatile and tasty food item?

• Rice !
  • Potatoes !
  • Pasta !

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm half Taiwanese and half American and I have to say my Asian ancestors has got it right. There's a reason why more cultures eat rice, there are more varieties with rice as well.
    I mean, there are even tons of rice sweets which you can't say for potatoes or pasta.
    sticky rice and purple rice makes rice dumplings (both sweet and savoury), mochi sweets, rice cakes.
    Brown and white rice can make fried rice, sushi, steamed rice, risotto, casserole, Spanish paella, rice pilaf, curry, rice congee... I've even had rice hamburger patties which are sold by fast food places all over Asia.
    you can pop them like pop corn, you can make rice crispies, you can make noodles out of rice as well!
    the list is endless!

• yes there are sweet potatoe chips and hash browns are served sweet too... and you can pretty much do all you said to potatoes too. maybe not the mochi thing but there is a lot of different variety to compensate.

• lol preach girl! You really know your rice dishes!

@op: another rice dish that YOU like that she didn't mention: Milchreis (with or without curry). See?

• @TheDevilInside
      I did mention rice pudding though I wasn't aware of the actual spelling and make of it so thanks!

What Girls Said 14

• I like pasta best.

• i voted rice lol

• I don't know I eat baked potatoes fries almost everyday because they're super yummy.
    But I also eat tons of rice and pasta

• I chose pasta. You can have it hot or cold, on its own or in a pasta dish, you can add it in soup. It's a main ingredient that can be used for lots of things. I can only see Rice and Potatoes being a side dish of something. That's what I think anyways.

• Potatoes > Rice > Pasta

But I like all :p

• potatoes ftw!!

• More cultures eat rice than pasta or potatoes.

• that´s right but only because more people eat it, doesn´t mean it´s more versatile or tasty.

• (And white people account for less than 30% of the global population)

• don´t take it so seriously :D it´s a fun question, you can choose your own basis for argumentation.

• I'd say potatoes. You can do lots of things with them and they're yummy.

• po-tae-toe pwese

• Rice all the way! XD

• Pasta I guess

• Most versatile is rice. Rice can take on the flavour of whatever you put in the boiling water. I love to put cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, cloves, crushed coriander, ginger and bay leafs and make an Indian style pilau rice.

• same goes for potatos too, i guess. doesn´t it?

• One thing though is that due to the absorbance level of rice it takes on all the flavours you put in a broth. Potatoes already have a high level water content so when boiling them in a broth it absorbs less of the flavours in the broth. That's why I chose rice.

But potatoes are my favourite to eat.. the mushy goodyness inside the skin of a baked potato and the steam escaping from it.. adding other goodies... mmmm!

• :D i couldn´t pic one of them too, if i was forced to.

• in my opinion potatoes because there are more ways to cook it and slice it. I don't know why it's less popular than pasta, but I prefer pasta xD

• it´s less popular than pasta? i guess that depends on where you live.

• you´re right but that´s what i enjoy about cooking. just throwing some shit in a pot is just boring to me :D

• Check out my latest questions ^^

• I`m italian, so I guess I have to say pasta xD

What Guys Said 10