Do you make your own pasta or do you use store-bought pasta?

Or have you ever tried to make it? Is it fun or a lot of work?

• Store-bought
  • Home-made
  • I don't cook

Most Helpful Guy

• i don´t home make them often, because it´s just so much work for a small portion. also i only have tools for basic tagiatelle.

• I'm impressed! ^^
      I've contemplated buying that tool, but figured if I don't make them often enough it's just another kitchen tool I don't use that takes up my limited kitchen space xD

• i mean if you eat pasta a lot, it might be worth it. i rarely eat pasta though.

Most Helpful Girl

• I typically buy whole wheat pasta but I have made my own several time and actually prefer making my own.
    It isn't that difficult and the difference is truly amazing. Fresh pasta is just phenomenal.
    It is especially easy with a kitchen aid mixer with a pasta attachment, and probably even easier with their new pasta roller/cutter attachment than the old system I have.
    The recipe is very simple basically water flour egg and salt. You won't believe the difference.

• Yeah, I don't have that many kitchen tools at home. Doing the dough is not difficult, but rolling the dough and especially cutting it is what I dread. But you make me want to try it some day ^^ How long does it usually take you to make a batch enough for two? Or can you make more at once and dry them yourself or use it the next day?

• You can definitely dry it and use it the next day. I have never done so though. I have definitely boiled it and put it in the fridge to be pasta salad the next day (best pasta salad you'll ever eat.)

Pasta rollers and cutters (not the kitchen aid attachment) are not that expensive so you may want to look into investing in one. A hand crank one you'd spend $25 or less. The other think I would recomend for cutting if you aren't going to make that investment is a pizza cutter. The round blade makes it easy and quick when you're cutting a bunch of noodles.
      With my mixer from making the dough to having it all boiled it is done in under 1.5 hours. It makes more than enough for two people. When looking at recipe I'd say one or two cups of flour will be plenty. 2 cups of flour make about 2 dozen large pirogi and that is pasta dough too.

• Ah, I guess there's no way around those pasta rollers, but I think I'll start with something easy like spaetzle first to see if I even enjoy making doughs for pasta. I watched some tutorials how to do it with a pasta roller and it seems like a lot of work and time to get them as thin as you want. Spaetzle looks much easier and time saving in comparison.
      But thank you for your helpful suggestions!

What Guys Said 10

• wish I had time to make my own pasta

• I don't have the time or knowledge to make my own, I always buy lol

• Again I am not that good, I would have to go to the shop

• I voted C because I don't cook, however I live with my parents and my mother is the one who cooks, she knows how to make pasta at home so sometimes she make it but other times she just uses store bought pasta, depends on the dish she is making.

• Store bought, its too much work to make pasts from scratch, although i have tried to make gnocchi a few time, but it never comes out how i want it

• At least people can see the gnocchi was home-made 😊

• Haha yeah, it was alright, but i think i made the gnocchis too big so they cook all the way through or something

next time i will make them smaller

• Yeah definitely store bought or I'll mess it up big time

• I use store bought.

I wish I made my own pasta, but I'm not wop enough to own my own pasta maker.

• I use storebought pasta, but i make the sauces myself.

• I prefer selfmade food but pasta i buy

• Store bought one i dont have the patience to make one!!

What Girls Said 6

• I buy a pound of pasta for 79 cents. I kind of get the feeling that the ingredients would cost me more than 79 cents for ingredients and labor. Laziness wins again XD

I really admire the people who do take the time though. I hope they enjoy their efforts :)

• Wow I haven't even thought of the costs for the ingredients yet. You're absolutely right!
      I still wanna do it one day, just so I can say "I did it" or at least "I tried to do it" ^^

• Hey if you try it and like it, what do you lose? A little time? That's nbd. You'll gain an interesting new experience :)

• I can do both. It's really easy to make it just depends on the time. I want to make spinach, beetroot and normal plain fettuccine pasta and keep it for a time that I may use it. Everything home made taste so much better, but yes I have been buying them at the store lately so I voted for A

• You can store homemade pasta?

• Ahh.. good to know that plain flour does the trick ^^

• haha yes just don't put to much of the plain flour or it will dry out and that's not good, just like a sprinkle here and there and it will be fine

• I've tried it once before, when I was a little kid. The machine looked fun and it reminded me of the Play-doh spaghetti factory. X) It was for noodle soup though. Not sure if that counts, but I think they're made pretty much the same way.

• As a little kid? Did you get any help from your parents? :O

Making homemade pasta is on my bucket list now xD I've made the dough for dumplings before, somehow I think pasta is more difficult than making dumpling dough.

• You're welcome. Be careful to read the labels. They also sell round rolled pizza dough that look about the same xD

• Ok, will do!

• Store-bought. I've never even thought of making my own.

• Store... i don't have time to make it myself. It's much more convenient to buy. Although, i wouldn't mind having a go at making my own if i found the time 😃

• Store bought, ain't nobody got time fo dat