Why do companies test their products on animals?

I assume most brands can get away with loose interpretations on the claim that they "don't support animal testing." It doesn't necessarily mean their company is completely reliable, since third party manufactors can still test ingredients on rodents (guinea pigs, mice, etc), but aren't allowed to use them on dogs or cats.

If these companies hired people to go through a 30 day trial, wouldn't that create more accurate results? If drug companies have clinical trials for medicine, then why aren't cosmetic and other beauty brands accepting this idea? I don't understand why the FDA doesn't put more regulations on trials, or at least investigate to find out the exact source of the ingredients.

NOTE: I am not a member nor a supporter of PETA. I'm just very confused about this relevant issue.

0|0
2|6

Most Helpful Guy

• It has something to do with cost effective and regulations

1|0
    0|0
    • So they do testing on animals because it's cheaper and garners faster results? Hmm. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find a list of regulations and other rules regarding these experiments. Thank you for commenting in a polite, mature manner!

What Guys Said 5

• Maybe more money should be put towards things that can be produced without animal testing especially in the cosmetic industry

0|0
    0|0
  • Who would prefer companies to test their products on humans rather than on animals?

0|0
    0|0
  • "Why do companies test their products on animals?"
    Because animals don't sue.

0|0
    0|0
  • You'd rather risk a human life over a rat?

0|0
    0|0
    • What I meant was I think only certain ingredients should be tested on humans rather than animals for safety and effectiveness. Instead of making products filled with synthetic crap like sulfates or parabens, companies could get their ingredients from legit natural sources. Yeah, it may be more expensive, but having harsh detergents or common skin irritants is worse in the long run. People have different Ph levels than animals, anyway, so for example, why would they test shampoo on rats when it's meant for humans?

• The government insists on some animal testing. Blame your elected officials.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Because it is a lot more cost effective and less regulated than testing on people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I will never understand why and i dont care what anyone says, but I would rather they tested on humans than animals, excluding children of course.

1|0
    0|0