Are philosophies (and psychology) factual?

all philosophies and theories came from one initial source right? It comes from a person like socrates or aristotle etc. So since none of these came from actual statistics or experiences aren't they just ideas?

I keep getting into arguements with my sister on things like this (and even about some parts of psychlogy and sociology) because she believes all these things are truth and are 100% fact

my argument is that these are just ideas made up by people and yes, some sound nice and make sense but they are not at all fact.

Most Helpful Guy

• Philosophy is nothing more than "rational thinking". Science was actually born from philosophy. It was philosophy that "invented" a scientific method to test hypothesis and propose experiments.

Obviously, most philosophers were not right about all they believed in. For example, Aristotle believed in many things that were proven to be wrong. On the other hand, a lot of the modern rational thinking comes his ideas. But that's how things work in both philosophy and science. Ideas are proven and disproven and give place to other ideas and so it goes. that's the only wait to achieve truth: by making mistakes.

• so can you really fully trust them or view them as fact when they are disproven as often as they are proven?

• I think we just disagree on the definition of a "fact". A fact is a fact in the current state of the scientific knowledge. But that can change, as our knowledge progresses. There's no other way to reach truth, since the human knowledge is limited by our cognitive ability and by how limited our senses are. So we needed tens of thousands of years to arrive in our current state of knowledge.

It would be great if we could just aprehend everything about the universe in one life spam! But unfortunately our cognotive ability and our senses can't get that far.

• Yeah we just see facts as different things. I wish we could know everything too, it'd make life a lot simpler.

What Guys Said 6

• I lean towards you that they are ideas but there is some merit in what your sister says - A philosophy student told me in university that it was a 100 years before the statement "I think therefore I am " was accepted after careful study and dissection

• There are many sources of theories for psychology, sociology, etc. Theories are ideas which people postulate to explain recurring observations.

• so that means they're not 100% fact then right?

• something that cannot be disproven or disputed

• Theories are disproven if they are inconsistent with the facts but they are not proven if they are consistent with the facts. I would say that theories are not factual in that sense.

• Well the whole point is that not all philosophy agrees, Aristotle may not agree with Socrates who may not agree with... same thing with psychology Jung and Freud went rounds over basic ideas. To this day not every psychologist agrees with every other.

• I agree with what you say. A lot of ideas or philosophies that have been introduced into the world are just ideas from others that they came upon through their own observations. I think what gives these things force or "proof" are the people who believe in them and refer to continuously over time.

• Thats what I believe too, these things are true to those who believe them to be true but they are not universal facts

• okay good, I've argued it so many times with her that I've started to doubt myself. I just believe in the notion of questioning everything, and not to blindly believe something because it was written in a book or article

• I kinda do the same thing. Man is flawed, so anything that comes from Man can't always be absolute.

• Psychology is a science it's a human science, it uses scientific methods to reach to a result or a final answer, obviously the methods it uses are not the same ones used in the natural sciences such as chemistry, physics, etc, it's different. Philosophy is the mother of all science, it uses logic to figure out something in specific but that logic is a subjective interpretation, not a proven one.

• So then philosophy is not fact if it's subjective. Also science have been wrong on multiple occasions (like the atom being the smallest particle) so how can we fully believe any science or human science?

• Science show a prove of something in specific, philosophy is mainly subjective and it doesn't prove anything. It's true that science have been wrong but based on the new discovery's it have made science has improve in many ways, philosophy by the other hand don't have that capacity.

• yes, science has improved but it's not fact, for example there so many scientific journals that say one thing kills you and then 3 others that say it's just fine

• psychology is a science. it's known that humans have a fight or flight response, this is fact. if psychology is just belief, then so are physics or chemisty.

but then philosophy is ideas, but ideas based on reality. The allegory of the cave, or the evil demon aren't real, but they're abstract concepts used to describe reality (like how people can't or don't see the full picture, or how we don't know what true reality is).

• See that would be one of my questions, how is fight/flight considered fact when there are tons of people myself included that do neither when scared, I tend to stand there and shudder.

And philosophies are the same way to me. Like Schopenhauer founded the idea that we fall for mates who balance out our traits with theirs so we have balanced kids, thats not at all true people date opposites and like minded people all the time.

• Philosophy isn't science

What Girls Said 1

• Each has realms of fact or bases of fact, psychology has more fact that philosophy. Psychology is based not solely on emotion or "ideas" but science. Philosophy, or at least some areas of philosophy, do have facts incorporated into the theory. A theory can't truly exist without some evidence, and some of this evidence is actual fact.