Do you count how long you have been in a relationship?

I'm just talking about this with a friend. I have been with my boyfriend for several months now.. (1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 5 hours and 32 seconds) haha jokes

but don't you think it sounds bad to be counting? Like people in prison count how many days they have left in prison right, and that whole theory kind of can be applied with a relationship, yes?

Do do you think it just sounds bad or should it be an achievement that you have reached a certain point, whether it would be a month or a year.

what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• haaa! No! I'm the worst girlfriend ever!! I don't remember dates!! so my future husband is never going to get in trouble with me for forgetting important dates ahahha

• Hehe he may be upset if you forget his birthday or something lol
      I don't think you would make a bad girlfriend. You just sound like a hopeless romantic

• hahaha that is the reason why my phone is a life saver!! aha the calendar and I are best friends! ahaha

• I would kill to see your phone calendar right now 🙊🙈

What Guys Said 13

• I think it's sweet. :)

Mr personally, I'm very good at remembering important dates and stuff, and I can usually guess the length of my relationships down to the month pretty quickly. I can't tell the amount of days, hours, and minutes, though. LOL

• I seriously suck at remembering dates lol I think I had to ask my boyfriend when we made it official because he knows 🙈 the blondest moment haha I seriously can't remember all that hour and seconds stuff either, so I don't blame you

• I count incase an anniversary comes up. I don't want any trouble now.

• I do not count hours and seconds.

• Maybe in months and later in years if I am lucky

• You haven't been able to find someone to settle down with?

• Thank you and I hope you your relationship is very successful as well.

• Thank you : )

• Nothing wrong with precision I suppose.

I go by weeks, then after 2 months I count by month.

• No... i don't
    That's because... we were friends.
    Then that friendship converted into relationship
    But the fact is , even today i don't know that when this conversion tool place...
    So i can't decide starting point of relationship...
    N how can i count the duration when starting point is not known?
    Ha ha

• Haha! Omg what a mess? I guess if you really had no life and bored shitless you can figure it out right? But like you said, the time when you and your girlfriend started the relationship is unknown lol so where you would start is a mystery

• Lol well you beat how long i've ever been in one :/

• Yeah zero time lol

• I did when I was younger, I probably wouldn't now

• Why wouldn't you now? Are you just like over it?

• I'd hope if I'm with someone I'd consider our relationship to be important. I think counting days is cute, so I don't think it's not important, I guess I just can't see myself doing it now

• I can understand that, no rush

• I count the minutes like a convict counts his sentence.

• So bad ass!

• Yes, it's a lesson learned. Next time I won't steal the guy's car, lol.

• Bhahaha you noob 🙈

• I think count years is alright and if it's a game, keep the count by day.

• 0 thats how long its beeen

• I remember that your last username was MissCoffeeHead. ?

What Girls Said 7

• I think most people keep track because at the beginning it can be an achievement to have been together for 3 months, 9 months, a year, 16 months, etc. For example, I'm in my first relationship and tomorrow is our 2-year anniversary, which is the longest he's been in a relationship too. So because of this I've mentioned our anniversary every month (just a quick "Hey babe, we've been together 20 months today") but we only celebrate every 6 months, which we think are milestones. I'd guess that after two years most people only mention their anniversaries every 6 months, which makes sense - at that point it's not really necessary to celebrate that you've been together for 2 years and 1 month, 2 years and 2 months, and so on. Still, feeling happy about it and mentioning it to your S/O isn't a bad thing. Enjoy celebrating your relationship!

• Yeah that's what I was thinking to you know, maybe because it's so fresh (lol, like a fresh relationship still) people are in like honey moon phase so they think it's good to see that a relationship is heading longer and longer. But I think when it's happened for 3-4 years I think couples may just stop counting and just acknowledge every year.

And congrats on the 2 year relationship mark with your first boyfriend, that's really sweet! And thank you

• In high school I remember doing it. I'd write down every day inside my school diary if I was in a relationship. Now though I don't really do it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I'm just a very absent minded person so stuff like that doesn't cross my mind. It doesn't sound bad to me and even for me a certain amount of time together would be a achievement. My longest relationship was a measly 6 months so anything more than that would be great ^^

• Oh gosh the school diaries and everything 🙊 I think if I had a happy relationship with someone for several years I would be estastic! I wish you good luck on your love life 😊

• @Asker

Aww thanks so much girl :3 That's very kind of you. All the best to you as well for sure.

• 😊🙈 thank you lovely

• I'm really bad at keeping track of stuff like that. My last boyfriend was too. We just agreed on a date to celebrate our anniversary. Neither of us could remember when our first date was.

• Yeah I honestly can't remember when I first made it official with my boyfriend aswell so you're not the only one lol

• I'm such an absent minded person, I'd only remember dates because I'd save it in my phone's calendar which will remind me every year during anniversaries.

• Haha that's clever though! It's just the smart, lazy way of thinking

• Haha ikr that's why my phone's calendar is my best friend 😂 maybe at the beginning to count the months is okay, but if you've been together for quite some years already I'd be a year counter lol

• All I know is we have been together for over 3yrs. I never do anniversaries or anything.

• I only keep count because people ask how long you've been together. But I don't remember the day we did.

• yeah you don't have to remember the day it happened. Just know which month it was and year. Then just give an estimate of it. Which is enough for anyone asking you.

• I think me and my partner roughly know which month but not the date lol eh who cares, Aslong as we are together with our boyfriends, it's all rainbows and unicorns for me lol

• I don't count days, even months really now. More just the years.

• I'm a year counter to, I see no point counting months. People actually do celebrate anniversaries every month, I'm just like *facepalm* but you know, whatever tickles them fancy.

• You know it can't be good if you're that excited to make it month to month

• I'm just thinking what's the point? LOL
      It's like a month isn't something you should be celebrating about. People have been together for like 5-7 years, and older people have been married or been together for 30-40 years, now damn that's something you should be celebrating about lol

Haha and you are probably right with that

• I didn't count down to the day xD but i did to the month

• Ok counting down to the day would be EXTREME lol

• I just like to think of the progress in a relationship and if its too soon to do something, hence why i count months

• I understand and that sounds more realistic