Why do people in the media want us average Americans to feel bad about our lives while glamorizing the rich? Why is life so unfair now?

I was on Yahoo checking my email after a long hard day at work and I saw an article written by one of the Yahoo writers saying that (paraphrasing) "Kylie Jenners new 2.7 million dollar mansion should make us fel bad about ourselves". Like huh? Why is it that all of the people in this fucked up world we live in that does nothing and works for nothing get's EVERYTHING and all of US who works hard everyday just to make a fucking living get nothing, but more struggle? Even people who THINK they're living decent "well off lives" are not compared to people like the Kardashians, who simply just have to look pretty and exist and they make all the money and live beautiful glamorous lives. I know there's going to be some people that's gonna say "oh, well they're going to hell and won't have that then". , How do you really know that though? And isn't life supposed to be about NOW not living when you dead and forgotten about? I'm sick of it

Most Helpful Guy

• Finally somebody with a sane mind :-). The reason for all this is pretty simple: it's called capitalism. Capitalism (and especially certain aspects of it such as the whole interest system) have an extremely destructive force in this world. People (especially Americans) love to point out how fucked up communism was but then, when I look at the DDR (east Germany) or Cuba, I don't see rich people crying about a scratch mark on their BMW while a child dies of starvation next to them. I don't see people without health insurance and without teeth living in their cars or on some fucked up trailer park. And I'm not saying with this that we should go back to having communism. What I'm saying is that smart people in this world realize that the system we are currently living in doesn't work. It makes people extremely unhappy. That's why the only rational thing to do is to change things. 1% of Americans own 85% of all the wealth the US has. 80% of the country share together less than 10% of the wealth. How is that fair? It's not. Now, many people just say "well, that's just how it is. Life's unfair" But this kind of attitude seems very cynical to me. The current economic system we have is man-made. This means by definition that we can also change it. It's not engraved in stone. And I strongly believe that things have to change sooner or later, if we don't want to end up in a huge war or a global crisis once again. Social inequality is pretty much the most destructive thing one could think of. It is accompanied by a huge numbers of ugly problems and consequences. And yes, honest labor is not valued anymore. This is, ironically, also a very typical problem of capitalism. Rich people love to tell you that they've worked hard for their wealth but the truth is: rich people don't work themselves. NOBODY can work so much that they would earn millions of dollars per year in an honest way. You know, scientists made these calculations and they found out that an average American would have to work several thousands or even millions of years to earn the wealth of a Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates or any of those hedge fond managers. The truth is that really rich people got rich by letting OTHER people work for them and by earning money with money (not with their own labor). This is something we should definitely change again. The idea that a guy sits in an office on Wall Street, makes a click with his mouse and has 3 million bucks more compared to a teacher or a carpenter or a

• nurse who are out the whole day and work their asses off and yet, they will never ever have even a fraction of this wealth makes me very sick. And unfortunately, 95% of people don't stand up against this inhumane system and defend their rights. In fact, most people vote for policies or elect politicians who work directly against their voters' own interests. They say that they are "a man of the people", when really, all they care about is this tiny fraction of extremely wealthy people (because that's where power lies). Normal people let themselves be doped with this idea that ooooone day, you and I will also be millionaires (which of course is total bullshit). What many people don't understand is that capitalism is like lottery: anyone can become a millionaire, but not everyone. And the chances of you or I ever becoming a millionaire are smaller than a plane crashing on the roof of our house. Not really enough reason for the social inequality and all the problems that come with it.

• Very well said I can't stand the whole "this is life oh well" attitudes either. And for this reason things will remain the same.

What Guys Said 11

• Because the media is nothing but a bunch of liars, hypocrites, rude people and whores in my opinion. Actual worthwhile unbiased news hasn't been broadcasted since the Vietnam war since then the media has got progressively worse and worse, there are only a handful of news stations I even trust anymore.

• Yeah, it's shit. Here's a quote you won't see much in the media "religion is there to prevent the poor from murdering the rich" Napolean. I don't give a fuck what anybody says, money gives you a better quality of life. The only reason why nobody makes a serious stand against all this is because of two major things: social engineering (religion, law, created morals geared towards being happy with nothing etc) and sometimes pure force (many countries will shoot you if you protest against the powerful). If you strip it all down, NOTHING has changed since ancient times between kings and peasants, it's just that the variables they play with are different. But how to get over this: firstly don't compare yourself (that's a proven one way road to misery). You have your own journey. If you going to compare, rather compare yourself to Africa: even with a lower, hard worked for salary in America, you have it better than the majority of Africa. I'm South African living in Australia, and just things like easy Internet use, safer transport, access to quicker medical etc are awesome things. Everyday remind yourself of what you are grateful for (just list two things a day). Have awesome parents? Friends? Pets? All these little joys are what life is made of because if you remember only the big things that come with money, you still wasted your life missing the majority of the small things. Then, lastly😊 I try deconstruct what it is that makes me jealous of these people sometimes. money can buy you a big house. Why do you want a big house? Entertain guests? Show off? Love hosting? want one for the family? If you find the reasons as to why you want things, you can create it without much money and live the life you want. So if you really love entertaining/hosting guests, and stop comparing, you will find liberation in that you can do this without a big house and still entertain.

• I wouldn't take that kind of lifestyle for all the money in the world anyway, so I don't care.

I do agree that the article was a total sham, though, especially the whole "... should make us feel bad about ourselves" part. She's no better than I am, and I'm no better than she is. End of story.

• When it comes to entertainment, the media puts out there what sells, as long as it doesn't step on the toes of the powerful. Look at all the reality shows there have been where rich people show off their possessions. There is an audience for that. You saw that story on yahoo maybe because an algorithm detected you read that kind of article.

Rich people living in total luxury while the majority of people languish is nothing new. Even in the US it peaked in the Great Depression, and we're entering a similar phase as we speak. People are already working longer hours for less pay, because it benefits the rich.

• Lol it's just how click-bait works. If the article was "Kylie Jenner has a new 2.7 million dollar mansion but you should feel good about your life because everything you have, you earned" it wouldn't get as many clicks. Instead, the title they chose makes you go... what... why? and click to find out.

• Work for your own self improvement and don't compete with others is the best you can do

• I really try to take no notice of what "Celebrities" are doing

• Life is unfair. Tough realisation.

Here is another realisation: There are more important things than money. Money is just a tool.

• Says a man with no money. I''m tired of these types of answers. If you were offered a million dollars you would take it in a heartbeat.

• Are you mad?

• Why would I?

• If you feel bad about yourself, you'll buy things to make yourself feel better. Merchandising psychology 101.

• Life's unfair NOW? Woah.

• The media doesn't put down average people. Average people who support them do

What Girls Said 2

• The media, in general loves to talk about celebrities and apparently which celebrity bought a new mansion is "newsworthy" to them. There are also many average Americans who care about crap like that too which is why the media continues to "report" on the lives of celebrities.

But regardless, life isn't fair. Some people have to work harder than others. Some people get ahead while others don't. Some people will make more money than others, that's just life. I don't think anyone should feel bad about themselves because of that though.

Who cares what the Kardashians are doing or how much they have? Focusing on them won't make you or myself any richer. I prefer to focus on myself, work hard, and do what I can for myself. I really couldn't care less about any celebrities and I choose not to read articles about them.

• are any of the kardashians pretty? i barely know who they are because nobody knows/cares about them here but after looking at a few pics i fail to see what people find interesting about them.
    don't worry about what they do.

• I'm talking about the article and the person who wrote it. Not myself, I didn't write it fyi